Sewer Boom Modification Idea

ihsolutions

My 2011 Bighorn is one of the few that has the Lippert Sewer Boom. I know a lot of us that one have since removed it -- I do agree it is not without it's engineering shortcomings.

In the past, we have stayed predominately at campgrounds with electric hookups only, meaning that we must use a dump station when we leave. The sewer boom system is great for this. Remove the cap, pull out a few feet of hose, and drop into the hole. It is a one-handed operation for me, from start to finish. Simple, clean, and no hooking up hoses to fittings.

As time moves on we are starting to stay at places with full hookups, during which time the limitations of the sewer boom become apparent:

1. Cannot store enough hose (20' MAX), which was not nearly enough at the Goshen rally, and
2. Due to the way the boom is positioned in front of the sewer hose connection, directing the hose to a waste hole behind the boom is problematic. Anyone who has done this knows what I mean. Your 20' hose quickly becomes useful for only about 10'

Since we do this mix of camping with hookups and without, I'd like to keep the boom, but find a way to take additional hose (perhaps in a 4" PVC secured underneath) so that I can experience "the best of both worlds", if you will.

Ideally, I'm looking for a way to disconnect the fitting from the sewer boom, and connect my Rhinoflex hose (from the PVC storage) quickly and easily, when we reach sites with full hookups. Doing so right now, as it stands, you have to pull all the hose out of the sewer boom, so that you can remove the corrugated black plastic cover that runs from the sewer outlet to the boom itself.

I realize I've asked a confusing question without probably doing a good job of explaining what it is I'm trying to do, but has anyone figured out a way to keep their sewer boom, yet find a way to work around the limitations of it?

jbeletti

Jeff,

Others have modified their sewer boom in differing ways to suit their needs. Hoping some will weigh in here. Some have relocated where the boom is attached to their frame. Some have lengthened the PVC portion of the boom.

Sounds like you have a good imagination for what you really want. Perhaps you can devise/rebuild it into what you want if you get inspired by any of the feedback you may receive here by those who went before you.

Best of luck.

danemayer

I modified the boom a bit like you're proposing in that I added a clear flush-pro to the end of the sewer pipe. I had to trim the big rubber cover at the inside end of the boom. I think you might have to do something like that if you wanted to attach a different hose for full hookup situations.

The problem I ran into is that after trimming, the sewer hose stored in the boom managed to work its way through the open area and into contact with the road, ruining it. I gave up on the boom and mounted a 5x5" square vinyl fencepost in front of the wheels. It holds 20' of hose.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
John,

I hate humping the stinky slinky :(

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?0j1w4v

Doing the slinky stinky dance at Goshen, one had to be careful not to put too much juice in the hose at one time. If more than a couple of gallons got in there, it was almost impossible to lift it high enough to drain it. And the joint connector in the middle let you know right away that it was displeased with being manhandled. Even with RhinoFlex hose, it was a dicey proposition.

jpdoggett

Jeff
I also have a boom on mine but found out that who ever designed this never camped a day in there life. I removed mine and when I store it I insert the hose in a 6ft piece of 4" pvc and hold it in place with the strap for the boom, pulling it down the road you would have to hold it up with a better system

funntheson

Yeah, I told Kary Katzenberger when I first got my fiver (12/2010) that the sewer boom was useless, due to it's short length. I guess rather than fixing the problem, they just kept pumping them out. They must have bought them in bulk! Mine still sits empty on the side of the trailer to this day.

shelsay

Hi--

I actually have kept my sewer boom and have learned to use it advantageously. True, the hose which comes with the coach will not reach many receptacles. I carry two 10 additional sections in a plastic box. I use the quick slip system (Ultimate Hose I think--the blue one), and it works well. I have found I can reach most all receitacles with these. I find that by using the boom, I can start the hose in the right direction. I wasn't happy with the initial factory set-up but have found a system that works well for me.

Dave

ChopperBill

I removed mine just after we bought the 3610. Doesn't work well with the FloJet sewer pump when I use it. Problem is when it was designed to work with our model the outlet is now sitting just under the slide which is some what inconvenient when they are out. Trying to figure out a way of re plumbing it but its not as simple as it sounds.

jbeletti

Yeah, I told Kary Katzenberger when I first got my fiver (12/2010) that the sewer boom was useless, due to it's short length. I guess rather than fixing the problem, they just kept pumping them out. They must have bought them in bulk! Mine still sits empty on the side of the trailer to this day.

Larry,

We stopped using these a long time ago. It lasted less than one model year. This was based on feedback we received that most people did not care for it. So it was dropped. Not instantly - but it did go away.

That said, some people love it, others have "gotten used to it". I personally didn't care for it.

funntheson

Thanks for responding Jim. I personally thought it was a great idea, but there is suffecient room that it could have been much longer, and therefore usable.
Larry