Power Surge Guards

TXSWICK

Just reading an article in Highways regarding surge guard protection at RV parks. Is there a real necessity for this and what is the overall perferred maker.

jimtoo

I think they are needed. Mine has only saved me once,, but that is enough to pay for itself. I have this unit and is just plug in and go. A lot of folks have units that are hard wired in the trailer, some with a remote mounted display. Most of the surge guards protect you from surge and also low voltages also,, which can be destructive. And I have never heard of a park assuming responsibility for a surge or low voltage problem.

I think Progressive Industries is most popular and they have a lifetime warranty.

Jim M

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We use the portable Surge Gard. Some use a hard-wired unit but I am too lazy to do the work.

TXSWICK

Jay - with the MPG we have 30 AMP and a 50 AMP converter - so we can use either - is a 50 amp protecter necessary or will the 30 amp suffice.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Jay - with the MPG we have 30 AMP and a 50 AMP converter - so we can use either - is a 50 amp protecter necessary or will the 30 amp suffice.

The size of your power converter does not matter. If your rig has a 30A power cord, then you need a 30A surge protector.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Wonder if RV insurance will cover damage caused by electrical surge?
It probably would. however, your deductable might be much higher than the cost of a surge protector, it would not cover the lost time that you might be without your trailer.

danemayer

Good Sam's Extended Service Plan specifically excludes Power Surges. I'd expect similar exclusions by other insurers.

Any damage or failure resulting from Acts of God, power surges, collision, upset, or any damage from a non-covered source.

My Geico Collision/Comprehensive policy excludes electrical breakdowns, but doesn't appear to specifically exclude damage caused by power surges. I suspect the difficulty my be getting the repair shop to attest to the cause. I'd guess that if a surge damaged multiple devices in my RV, it might be more likely that I'd be covered.

noobee

Don't bet on it.................

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
We use the portable Surge Gard. Some use a hard-wired unit but I am too lazy to do the work.

I went with the hard wire version. It would have been a easy job if I would have had enough slack in the wire. To get the unit where I could monitor it I had to add cable.

Either way, I would not go without it. Cheap insurance compared to the cost of one fridge, flat screen or another piece of high end equipment.

Bob and Chris

Senior Members
I opted to purchase and install the hardwired 50 amp Progressive and wired it between the transfer switch and the coach so I'm protected from the RV Park and any generator blips that might occur. I do have the display mounted in the kitchen of our Augusta and like being able to check volts and amps on both legs of the power.