Ladder

Tigre

I have a 2012 BH 3585 and was wondering how much weight the ladder on the back of the rig can carry?

Thanks,

Steve

rick_debbie_gallant

Steve, if ya got to ask then you most likely should take along your own ladder. Unless you are talking about carrying stuff from it. At any rate I weigh in the neighbor hood of about 20 stone. some times it is closer to 21 stone. Somewhere I think it says 300 lbs, but I am not sure. Now you are really confused right?

jhardin

Steve,
My dealer told me I could climb the ladder plus walk all over the top of my BH to clean it. He also said they had a guy bigger than me that climb the ladder and worked on the roof with no problems.
Lets look at it this way:

1. I am not obese, I am a beast!:)
  2. My doctor says my weight is perfect, my height is what’s messed up! (can’t do anything about that)
To answer your question, I am 6’3 and weigh 290 lbs. my ladder does not even creek when I climb it. The roof is also very sturdy when I walk on it.
Jerry

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'm right up there with those other 2 big guys. I won't use the ladder. I think the ladder is sturdy enough. It's rated at 300#. My concern is the mounting brackets. It might hold, I'm just not willing to take the chance.
I do carry a 6ft. aluminum folding ladder and 2 chairs on a ladder rack without issue.

Tigre

Thank you Jerry and everyone else who responded. I just want to go up and install some vent covers and a solar panel. I have gone up it once before but was just curious about the load.

Thanks again,

Steve

Steve,
My dealer told me I could climb the ladder plus walk all over the top of my BH to clean it. He also said they had a guy bigger than me that climb the ladder and worked on the roof with no problems.
Lets look at it this way:

1. I am not obese, I am a beast!:)
  2. My doctor says my weight is perfect, my height is what’s messed up! (can’t do anything about that)
To answer your question, I am 6’3 and weigh 290 lbs. my ladder does not even creek when I climb it. The roof is also very sturdy when I walk on it.
Jerry

danemayer

I'm 250# and I use the ladder on our 2011 Landmark. I have had problems however with the plastic endcaps that hold the rungs in place. Many of them cracked, and after replacing them, I added supports under the rungs. Since then, the ladder manufacturer sent me a set of improved endcaps. They said they redesigned them for improved support.

rick_debbie_gallant

I'm 250# and I use the ladder on our 2011 Landmark. I have had problems however with the plastic endcaps that hold the rungs in place. Many of them cracked, and after replacing them, I added supports under the rungs. Since then, the ladder manufacturer sent me a set of improved endcaps. They said they redesigned them for improved support.
Do you have an address for the caps. Also how did you do the supports?? Pictures would be great. Thank you.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Xparent Red Tapatalk

danemayer

Rick, I don't have an address for the Ladder Company. It's Atwood. I called 574-266-4815 and spoke with Pam Walker. The rig was under 1 year old and I explained that multiple endcaps had cracked. She sent me a set at no charge. If you're past 12 months, you might have to purchase them.

The supports are very simple - you need small hose clamps (size 3/4 - 1 1/4" if I remember correctly) and a couple of small sheets of rubber gasket material (4x6"). Cut the gasket material into 1/2" strips long enough to wrap around the vertical rail of the ladder. The hose clamp, with gasket inside, goes just underneath and touching the bottom of each rung. 2 clamps for each rung.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I also called ATwood and my unit was out of warranty but they sent me a complete set of end caps to replace even the one's that did not break. I'm 280 and they broke the first time I tried to clime the ladder. That reminds me - I need to fix that ladder now that spring is here.

ChangingPlaces

Hi there
Have you thought of putting a bumper on which gives you a number of uses.
1. To hold up the ladder via a bracket mounted on the bumper, works very well. Ladder doesn't flex much at all
2. To mount a bike rack on
3. For general protection against damage from another vehicle
P1020075.jpg
I have enclosed a photo for your viewing.

CactusTwo

The key about the ladder access is to get up and down. Don't stop on the way up or down to talk to the neighbor or view the scenery and don't hang OUT from the ladder ( fully extend your arms) as that can pull the screws out of the rig and is not the ladder's problem. "Live load " is 40 people walking on the floor, "Dead Load" is 40 pianos set on the same floor. One is structurally safer than the other. Hint, Let's keep lively out there

cooknsharry

OK I have no problem lol But I now do have a question?:confused: I'm almost afraid to ask, what are the screws mounted to. (that are attached to the back wall.)
I like the the added bumper photo.:rolleyes: good idea

Westwind

I just don't like to think about what it's attached to, but I weight in at 204, and that's alot of stones, rocks boulders etc. The ladder has held me on at least 6 trips up and down and it hasn't creaked, groaned, or collapsed yet.

Steadfast

This thread got me curious so I looked closer at my ladder. We have a 2011 BH 3670RL. There is a sticker on our ladder saying that the max weight is 300 pounds.

I noticed that I have a few cracked end pieces also, even though I weigh in at less than 200 lbs. I have left a message at the ladder manufacturer in order to get replacements for these caps.
Craig

rick_debbie_gallant

I just don't like to think about what it's attached to, but I weight in at 204, and that's alot of stones, rocks boulders etc. The ladder has held me on at least 6 trips up and down and it hasn't creaked, groaned, or collapsed yet.

My 6'1, 20 plus stone body has been up and down that ladder several times. Each time I just cringe. But so far no problem. I just have to get some new end caps like all you light weights!

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I'm 6-1 240ish and I was up there this morning cleaning and treating the roof. No probs at all.

Steadfast

For what it's worth, the manufacturer (Atwood) says that even though these end caps might crack and slip a little, the step will not collapse because the screws are holding the weight, not the plastic. Atwood is sending me replacements for all of the end caps, not just the cracked ones.