Capacity of Greystone Bumper

tkkmcjo

Picked up a Greystone 27RK late December last year from Seegrins in Gilroy Ca. (Great dealer!) Absolutely delighted with the Coach! No major problems and the small problems were immediately taken care of by the dealer.
I'm wondering about the rear "bumper". In "Ask the Factory" there's a post about mounting a generator... not sure about the weight of the generator...but they don't recommend it without reinforcement. I'm wondering if anyone has mounted a bike rack for multiple bikes? I am 220lbs and I can stand on the bumper without any problem but what about 2 or 3 bikes on the road over and over again with the bouncing and the "jarring" from the road? :DThanks!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Re: Tj (tkkmcjo)

I've heard in the past about the results of a rear mounted bike rack coming apart and the bikes being damaged after sliding down the road. There's a lot of bouncing going on back there and while the bumper might carry the weight, the rack may not survive. I know some of the Heartland models offer a rear mounted carrier that is frame mounted. Maybe something like this is a better option but you'll still need to be concerned about the rack.
Check out Camping World's offerings for rear bumper mounted carriers.

GOTTOYS

Re: Tj (tkkmcjo)

There were pictures on another forum recently showing how the constant movement of a loaded bike rack shaking back and forth had cracked the metal on the rear "bumper" and it fell off with the bikes attached. They just weren't meant to handle the constant pounding that anything attached will cause. A good welding shop can look at it and weld on some reinforcements. This may however void your frame warranty if that matters. Standing on it vs:the constant shaking and vibration of an attachment going down the road are two different things...Don

tkkmcjo

Thanks Ray and Don! You both have good points and I appreciate the information. I did find a thread in the Heartland General Forum about this issue. Seems a good welder to attach a reinforced 2" receiver to the frame is the most solid approach. I'll probably wait until the warranty is up, then look into that plan. Photos show a very solid setup. Cheaper than having the "toy tray" installed. too!

Mimi-Pops

As far as a bike rack on the rear bumper.....all research has indicated damage will occur. I purchased a frame mounted receiver for the front of a 2010 F-350 Crew Cab

Duramax1

As far as a bike rack on the rear bumper.....all research has indicated damage will occur. I purchased a frame mounted receiver for the front of a 2010 F-350 Crew Cab
X2

The second advantage of this system is that when you arrive at your destination and unhook, you can attach the bicycle carrier to the back of your truck for transporting your bikes to local biking trails.

A great system

SabBumNim

UNI Tae Kwon-Do Club
I had a two inch receiver installed on the front of my truck by my car dealer. It is attached to the frame. I carry my bikes up front. Looks kool when traveling down the road, and have not had any problems. Sorry I have no pics to send.