How to drain fresh water tank

JimBobWay

I'm oh so new to this. 2009 Bighorn 5er and I'm trying to drain the fresh water tank. I thought I'd just open the low water line points and open valves and it'd run out. Apparently not cuz nothing happened. Should I open the low points and run the pump to push it out? Or do I need to use the water up and put it down the grey tanks?

Bobby A

I never dry camp and need to use my fresh water tank except when I sanitze/bleach out my lines twice a year. But yes, I just open the low point drain located on my coach on the off door side behind the axle and let the water run out. I think there will always be a little water left in the tank that won't drain out though. I'm sure others will chime in on this subject soon.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
A 2009 BH may have two low point drains as well as a fresh water tank drain. The low point drains will be together and the tank drain by itself, most likely near the sewer outlet. On mine the low points are red and blue, located near the door steps and the tank drain on the opposite side by the sewer is blue. Later models eliminated the low point drains and have only the tank drain.

Opening the low point drains only drains the plumbing, not the fresh water tank.

View attachment 19074View attachment 19075

JimBobWay

Thanks. Funny thing is right by the sewer oulet there's a label on the side of the BH that says "Fresh water tank drain." Reading is fun. LOL