Water manifold and basement remodel. (Long and lots of pictures)

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
One of the things that I feel Heartland could do a little better job on is in the basement area behind the wall. There HAS been a huge improvement over the last couple of years in this area but I still thought it could be a little cleaner. Not so much for looks but for any service work that might have to be performed back there.

This past January I installed a hard wired surge protector in the basement and had a heck of a time just getting back there. Once I did get in there I was pretty much stuck there until I finished. Coming out was even harder than going in and I lost what little hair I have left on just about everything I hit.

A few weeks ago, Jim B. emailed a picture of a water manifold in an SOB that he liked. It was a Viega Manabloc, model 41133. I am very familiar with Viega. We use a lot of their products in our houses but have never used the Manabloc. We had always used Sioux Chief when we used manifolds but I really like the look of the Manabloc.

Trying to make room to install the water manifold required a complete redo of the basement. Here is what was behind the wall:
BEFORE:
drain before 3.jpgdrain before.jpgBefore UDC back.jpgIMAG0401.jpg

To start with I needed to change the location of the drain lines to gain access into the back basement. I combined the washer drain and the vanity drain to one drain and moved it over about 12".
drain after 1.jpg

I also had to move the shower drain to the right about 10". That is the black drain pipe in the middle of the picture. It can be seen in the last pictures. Moving the drain lines made the lines more rigid than "factory stock" so both drain lines have a piece of PVC flex between the hoding tank and PVC to allow for road vibration.

Once the lines were moved and I could get back into the back basement a little easier, I added a couple of lights.
Lights in back basement.jpg
I mounted a switch and breaker in the Battery compartment. The switch has an LED light in it so I know if the lights are on or not.
Light switch and breaker.jpg
Now that I had light in the basement, I really had a good look at what else needed to be done.
The whole purpose for wanting the water manifold is two-fold.
First, I wanted "homeruns" to all the drops (faucets etc.) so that when someone was taking a shower and someone else turned on the kitchen sink, The kitchen wouldn't steal all the hot or cold water. That was definitely the main reason.
Second, is more obvious, the ability to isolate an individual circuit for repair if needed.
I mounted the water manifold at the end of the battery storage compartment.
Here:
water manifold 1.jpg

I also supported some of the duct work.
BEFORE:
drain before.jpg

AFTER:
IMAG0707.jpg

After all that, I can now get back into the rear basement a little easier if needed.

Finished basement:
Finished basement 1.jpgFinished basement 4.jpgFinished basement 6.jpg

During this process I also moved the convertor out of harms (think water leak ) way and moved the water pump to between the water heater and UDC wall.

This project was a lot of fun. I still have a few wires I would like to loom togehter but that will wait for another day. I also want to come up with a better basement wall. I have just left mine unscrewed for now but have been thinking about having a little better visibility with out moving a bunch of stuff and take down a wall.

I think HL builds a very nice trailer but still has a ways to go with attention to detail. This is not a bash on HL, but IMHO there are only a few mass produced trailers that surpass HL. Most of them are considerably more money than the Landmark. But if HL would pay attention to things unseen they would jump ahead of one or two of them very easily.

I hope this helps someone who is contemplating the same thing.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Larry, you cleaned up that basement so much, you could put a bar down there. A real man-cave. :D I like the idea of the light behind the walls. I've got my access panels, but even with a flashlight, it's hard to see anything in there. Another project is born.

SilverRhino

Great job! Hopefully I will find the time this fall to attempt to clean my system up......If it comes out half as good as yours I'll be happy!

Thanks for sharing and especially the great photos.

SouthernNights

Thanks guys. It really was fun to do. It took about 8 hours and forgot to mention the cost was right at $225.00. The manifold was $134.00 of that.

Jon, as I said on fb, your site is waiting for you. :D

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Great work Larry.....where did you serve your apprenticeship? I don't see Heartland paying Union labor wages to do the job right. I applaud you for your efforts.

SouthernNights

Great work Larry.....where did you serve your apprenticeship? I don't see Heartland paying Union labor wages to do the job right. I applaud you for your efforts.

Thanks but no apprenticeship here.:) Just a builder with way too much time on my hands.:rolleyes:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Again, you have raised the bar to a whole new level! Terrific work my friend. U B D Man!

hcriddle

Great job Larry! I had the same problem when I installed my Progressive EMS. You have done a really nice job of cleaning that up and organizing all those lines. Now could you just send me the parts list so I can have all those items ready when you arrive in Gillette! ;)

mntnman

Past Chapter Leader, SC and KY
Larry, it looks good. With this and your water filter mod it would be good for Heartland to look at what you have done and make some improvements on the water system. These modifications could save them money on warranty claims just by making the access easier which in turn equals less time for the work which means less cost for the labor.

SouthernNights

Great job Larry! I had the same problem when I installed my Progressive EMS. You have done a really nice job of cleaning that up and organizing all those lines. Now could you just send me the parts list so I can have all those items ready when you arrive in Gillette! ;)

Thanks again guys. No bar Gus, just using other peoples ideas and trying to combine them into one trailer. But we could work out something in the way of a swap for tile. :rolleyes:

Buddy, I will send you a parts list. Go ahead and get started while you are waiting on me...:D. (Oh, that's right, not going to Gillette. I really wish I was though.)

I will post a parts list, that is an excellent idea Buddy. I should have done that in the original post.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Larry,

Did you change over all of the line runs to "Home Run" from the Manubloc? That looks great, I though about doing a similar mod - but there is far less space in the Cyclone 3010 basement to accommodate. I have a Manubloc sitting in a box at the house waiting to be installed ... at the house that is not the trailer...

Kevin

SouthernNights

Larry,

Did you change over all of the line runs to "Home Run" from the Manubloc? That looks great, I though about doing a similar mod - but there is far less space in the Cyclone 3010 basement to accommodate. I have a Manubloc sitting in a box at the house waiting to be installed ... at the house that is not the trailer...

Kevin

Kevin,

All the lines are homeruns except for the outdoor shower. Because I kept the bypass valve for the water heater functional, there was already hot there at the UDC anyway. I didn't see any need to run a separate line for that from the manifold. And of course the cold side is picked up behind the Anderson valve.

You are right about the room. This system does require a little bit of room. I am not familiar with the Cyclone's basement. On the LM Mesa, the upper floor extends towards the back of the trailer pretty far to allow room for the "suites" type bath. That leaves a lot of space underneath in the basement.

If there is anyway you can get that manifold in there , I think it is worth the effort. It would be a real nice addition to the filter system you did. Very clean looking.