Under Bed Storage???

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
OK Guys...picked up our new 3600RL on Friday! Absolutely love it, it's beautiful and everything seems to be working fine except for a few minor problems; i.e., leak in shower around access panel, one speaker in bedroom not working, small stuff the dealer will take care of tomorrow.

However, I have one big question...WHAT HAPPENED TO THE STORAGE UNDER THE KING SIZE BED??? All the units we saw prior to this on lots and belonging to friends of ours had adequate storage via compartments situated underneath. Ours has an large flat area approximately 3 inches deep, what gives? Made finding space for items we usually stored there quite a challenge.

One other question on a different topic, we ordered ours with the Camel Suede interior and for some reason the fabric on our dinette chairs is a pale GREEN!! They, in all honesty, clash with the rest of the coach! They look nothing like the material shown in the brochure, nor do they match the recliners...any help would be appreciated.

Ken and Kathy Adams

tcbrady

Ken and Kathy - congratulations on your new purchase.

In response to your questions:

1. The storage set up under the king bed has been that way for about a year now in all Bighorn units. Back in July 2006 we changed to a different bedroom slide mechanism that resulted in loss of storage under the bed. You still have some room under the bed (not a much) but I think you will agree that when you look at all storage in the bedroom of a Bighorn it will not be matched by competitive products.

2. Camel suede dinette chairs - all fabrics are purchased over seas and the camel suede has been a very HOT color of late (Bighorn has been running more camel suede than anticipated). Unfortunately we ran out of that fabric and needed a substitute (the original fabric was ordered but lead time in 10 weeks). I'm sorry you do not like the fabric but contact your dealer and we'll try to get something to accommodate your needs.

Thanks!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Coley,

Thanks for responding, we are dealing with the storage, I guess it was more of a shock than anything!!

The chairs however are a different story. I can understand substituting different fabric but green is just not acceptable with the rest of the decor. We had the dealer contact Tim today at Heartland, as they also agreed after looking at it themselves it just doesn't coordinate. Tim has authorized the replacement of all five chairs, but I'm assuming by your response this may take awhile. Would that be correct? We were hoping to have them shipped to our sons house before the end of August as we will be in the area then; is that a possibility?

Thanks, Kathy Adams

pickuphunt

Under bed storage

We too had been used to some deeper storage under the bed. So - first I removed the mattress (nice to have a little help). Then I unscrewed the bracket holding the gas operated lift arms at the bed frame which allowed me to fold the plywood bed platform back against the headboard which allows access to the full area under the bed. Now I removed the plywood panel that covers the slide out mechanism. In our unit there are 2x2 support pieces which hold up the plywood panel. It would be nice if they were installed perfectly square with the bed frame, but they were not, so I used a hacksaw blade to cut the nails holding the 2x2 on one end to square them with the bed frame. I cut short pieces of 2x2 to fit between the longer 2x2 which provided a rectangle of 2x2's the length of the bed frame, and as wide as the width between the long 2x2. NOW, I made open top boxes out of 1/4" plywood the size of the rectangle made by the 2x2's and just deep enough so that when they are fitted in the rectangle opening there is about 1" clearance at the bottom. Once these are made and fitted, secure them to the 2x2's on all four sides with screws. Be sure everything is well secured. Finally, I cut the existing plywood panel to cover the area of the slideout mechanism.
Last, before closing everything up I activated the sideout to be sure everything cleared OK.
Our unit allowed for 3 of these compartments, of course you cannot do this in the area which contains the slideout mechanism. We use this for storage of light items such as blankets and seasonal items that are not very heavy.
WFM (Worked For Me)