Jacking or raising my RV

Rodbuster

Whats the safest and best way to jack my RV up so I can pull a wheel off to check my wheel bearings? Should I use a bottle jack placed under the axle as close to the wheel as possible or should I use the auto level system, set on manual? If I use the level system, do I just use it on one side and let the two tires on the other side take all weight or do I manually use all 4 leveling jacks and bring the RV up equally?

It's a 40' Key Largo and it's on a concrete floor.

Thank you
Dick

jnbhobe

I use the level-up because your lifting from the frame. Be sure to use jackstands if your going to stick your head under it. Also be carefull when letting it back down so you don't flip a shackle. Been there done that.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You may have to raise both sides. If you try to just raise one side it will reach the electronic maximum for being off level. So raise both sides, but only raise one side completely off the ground.
Hope that made sense.

Peace
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
pardon my ignorance but what does "flip a shackle" mean and what makes it happen?
Right now your trailer is 'hanging' on the springs via the shackles. When they flip your trailer will be 'resting' on the springs via the shackles.
This can happen under the right circumstances if the frame is jacked up and the axles are hanging. A rare occurrence.
I have read about this in history books. Eons ago hot rodders would flip their shackles to raise the rear end of their cars.
I don't know anything about that but I am sure that Jon remembers it.

Peace
Dave

PUG

Pug
I just did all four of my bearings and raised it off the ground with the hydraulic levelers but is is a big foot system. in fact it is still sitting in the air on the jacks awaiting my installation of four new G-614s.