Fifth Wheel Damage

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Granted, there are those who run through hook-up checklists. have never dropped a trailer on their truck bed, and think any added safety device is wasted money. But I've read enough about MORE experienced campers than me that have squashed their trucks to make the Butch's device cheap insurance. It's very hard to not notice if the locking bar has been engaged where it needs to be.

Heck, even my big talking BiL dropped his rig on his truck.

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired
I also have a Butch's Service fifth wheel safety catch. It was easy to install, maybe weighs 7 lbs and gives peace of mind while towing in case of hitch failure. I still do the tug test back and forth with the legs about an inch above the ground. If you don't have one you are dumb....

I don't have one either, I guess that makes me "dumb".

SCPOBob

Filling out application for the "Been there, done that club"...at the Dealership no less. Luckily my front gear was most of the way down (please don't ask, stupid rookie mistake), damage $45.00 for new bed cover rail...I got OFF really lucky and will be looking into Butch's safety catch.

From a first timer, reading everyone's comment. Has help. I'm picking up our 4100 next Friday and will call our dealer to have them install Butch's catch before our first pull. Thanks for everyone's input.

jimtoo

Hi Cramalot-Inn,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Might be a good idea,, I have a bed saver on mine also.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Eddhuy

I have the Reese Elite with the Ford installed under the bed rails. When the king pin is locked in place, a metal flag is released and is supposed to let you know that you are locked in place. So far it has been accurate even the first time hitching up and was not all the way in, no flag. I still do a tug test though, the consequences would be too painful to watch for trying to save a little time.

Now with that said, does anyone have experience with the Reese Elite? Just wondering what the track record is with this flag.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I have the Reese Elite with the Ford installed under the bed rails. When the king pin is locked in place, a metal flag is released and is supposed to let you know that you are locked in place. So far it has been accurate even the first time hitching up and was not all the way in, no flag. I still do a tug test though, the consequences would be too painful to watch for trying to save a little time.

Now with that said, does anyone have experience with the Reese Elite? Just wondering what the track record is with this flag.

We have one but it doesn't have a flag. It is the Ford accessories one though. I haven't had any issues with it. I check when hitching and do a tug test. our last hitch was a B&W companion and I prefer it over the Reese. If the OEM B&W were available when we bought our truck I would have it now.

GOTTOYS

From a first timer, reading everyone's comment. Has help. I'm picking up our 4100 next Friday and will call our dealer to have them install Butch's catch before our first pull. Thanks for everyone's input.
I put a Butch's catch on mine...Then I got to thinking. If I don't hitch it properly and fail to do my necessary checks, what makes me thing I will latch the Butch's lever??? I'm thinking the Bedsaver is a better idea because you don't have to do anything with it... Hope I don't ever need it...Don

scottyb

Has anybody dropped their rig or came close to it using a B&W Companion? I read on another forum where a guy confessed that he had hauled his rig over 100 mi and had forgotten to use the locking pin on his B&W. I'm with some of you, if I forget to use the locking pin, why would I remember to install the Butch's catch. The bedsave looks like a good idea. I wonder if they make one for the B&W?

bdb2047

I also have this setup have had no issues with flag which will indicate latch is closed and allow you install safety pin in latch handle.The only issue i have is latch will not stay open when hooking up trailer and have to open it after pin starts to enter hitch.Have had it over 2 years.

SilverRhino

I put a Butch's catch on mine...Then I got to thinking. If I don't hitch it properly and fail to do my necessary checks, what makes me thing I will latch the Butch's lever??? I'm thinking the Bedsaver is a better idea because you don't have to do anything with it... Hope I don't ever need it...Don

I have "always" done the tug test with jacks barely up......double checked latches etc.........Except for one time!! When I ordered my new Hauler Bed to replace the damage box, I also picked up a Bed Saver.......I had already determined that I could forget to check something......so in my mind, the passive safety system was the best way to go!

ParkIt

I know that I'm not the first one to do something like this. Is there a possibility that it did any damage to the frame? I will take it to a dealer as soon as possible to have it checked over. Looked the interior over good and everything looks good. I know these trailers are designed to take a pretty good jolt, but don't know about dropping one out of a hitch. Thanks for any replies. I did a search and couldn't bring up anything on this.
Ours was dropped by a tow driver and it slammed onto the bed with the hitch taking a good hit on the receiver as well as the tailgate of the truck. The hitch cover and control box were pretty smashed up, under the bedroom it delaminated and the slides are out of kilter. It also snapped part of the ceiling fan fin off and bent that too, not really sure what damage it took but it goes in Monday to find out. As a general rule between Heart Land, our insurance company and the repair shop they don't think it damaged the frame (though it did torque) but I can keep you updated on what they found and will have to fix. Hopefully its not much but I'm wary...if it wasn't for bad luck we'd have no luck at all lately.

Eddhuy

Even though a number of people think that if you forget to check the hitch you would also forget to check Butch's catch. On the other hand, the one time the hitch was not latched all the way Butch's may be what you remember to check. My take is that it would be better than nothing. Like that metal flag on the Reese Elite, it is only good as long as you look for it. I do; however, agree the bedsaver is a better idea, it is always active and ready to do the job whether you are distracted or not.

Snow

What if I want to do a tug test but when I raise my front jacks one comes up then the other one ?? Because of my Hyds is plumbed like that I guess the same as my slides one at a time ? ⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄

Zoomzoommo

What if I want to do a tug test but when I raise my front jacks one comes up then the other one ?? Because of my Hyds is plumbed like that I guess the same as my slides one at a time ? ⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄

I had the same question. I've just been taking my LED flashlight to insure the jaws are securely locked around the king pin, then being certain to place the pin through the release lever. If I do this religiously, it has to be locked, correct?

Tomharg

What if I want to do a tug test but when I raise my front jacks one comes up then the other one ??
You should be all right as long as you take the weight off the landing gear. When you do the pull test with the wheels locked with either the chocks or manually-applied trailer brakes, the trailer can still move an inch or two due to the slack in the suspension. With a couple of thousand pounds of weight on the LG, there will be a lot of stress on the gear as the trailer tries to move those few inches and the pads don't want to move on the ground. This can be a BAD THING. With no weight on the gear pads, even if one or both are still touching the ground, the pads will move a bit, not putting any stress on the gear. Once one of the legs comes up a little, the weight is actually off both gear, so you shouldn't have a problem.

Break, break. I have learned from this thread myself. I have been doing the pull test with the weight on the gear and I ain't gonna do that no more!

The various types of "pin catchers" seem like a good idea for backup. Now if there were just a better way than the "holey" tailgates to guard against the other three damage inducers: backing into the pin with the tailgate up, pulling away from the just-disconnected hitch and catching the pin on the still-up tailgate, and backing into the front fiberglass with the corner of the tailgate when hooking up at an angle with the tailgate down. (I'm new enough at 5th wheeling that I've only done the first of these last three. So far.)

As we used to say to our Air Force student pilots, I tell myself: "Use the [friendly] checklist!!"

Tom Hargreaves

scottyb

Even though a number of people think that if you forget to check the hitch you would also forget to check Butch's catch. On the other hand, the one time the hitch was not latched all the way Butch's may be what you remember to check. My take is that it would be better than nothing. Like that metal flag on the Reese Elite, it is only good as long as you look for it. I do; however, agree the bedsaver is a better idea, it is always active and ready to do the job whether you are distracted or not.

I agree, the bedsaver seems like a better idea. I don't know if it is available for all hitches, such as the B&W. I know that on the B&W, if the jaws are not closed all the way, the lever can not move far enough to install the locking pin. Once the locking pin is installed, there's no way for them to open w/o a mechanical failure of some sort.

porthole

Retired

two things you can do.
1) once the first leg just clears the ground have someone (or yourself if you can reach) step on the "high" plate then hit the up button, the oppostie plate will move.

2) Raise the jacks until both clear the ground then lower again until they just touch.

Odds are good if you do raise from a full load until one of the jacks just clears you have unloaded both jacks enough to do the test.

I typically go with step 2.

SilverRhino

The various types of "pin catchers" seem like a good idea for backup. Now if there were just a better way than the "holey" tailgates to guard against the other three damage inducers: backing into the pin with the tailgate up, pulling away from the just-disconnected hitch and catching the pin on the still-up tailgate, and backing into the front fiberglass with the corner of the tailgate when hooking up at an angle with the tailgate down. (I'm new enough at 5th wheeling that I've only done the first of these last three. So far.)

After forgetting to check the latch on my hitch once......My solution took care of the other potential issues you mention! :)