Frustration

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Well, today was a nice hot, sunny day that I didn't have anything scheduled so I decided I'd tackle the Never-Fail Bushing upgrade. Load all my stuff in the truck and head over to the storage yard. Install the battery in the rig and use the Ground Control jacks to lift it up. Get set up and realize I need to move the rig up a bit more. No joy, seems the 60A ATC fuse has given up the ghost. Put tools away, and head over to AutoZone to pick up two 60A fuses (all they had). Grabbed a 80A one, just in case. Back to the rig, get it lifted where I need it and remove the tires on the DS. Put jack stands under the axles and lower rig a little to take the load off the springs. Now I'm ready! Ready to find out that the first spring bushing bolt I put a wrench to won't budge. ARRGGGHHH! Try as I might, no joy and I didn't want to snap the bolt. So, back on go the tires, down comes the rig and a series of expletives ensue that would make the entire 6th Fleet blush and cry for their mommas.

I remounted the two tires I took off to 100 ft-lbs. on the lug nuts. Does anybody know for sure what the actual spec. is?

So, what have we learned Grasshopper?
1. Get a new set of spring bushing bolts and bring a breaker bar before trying this again.
2. I can lift the rig off the tires with the Ground Control jacks, but the 60A fuse doesn't seem to like running all four jacks at once.
3. Keep spare 60A fuses on hand.
4. Pick a cooler, non-sunny day to do this stuff.
5. Trailer tires are heavy buggers.

On the brighter side, I did open up all the slides and didn't find any mouse poop or signs of water intrusion. And we had a downpour of epic proportions a couple of weeks ago. We'd decided to put a foam topper on the mattress (yeah, I know I said we were good with it as is) and I let it lay out in the rig for a couple of weeks. So today, I stuffed it into its cover and put it on the bed. And got chastised by SWMBO for not putting the mattress cover OVER the foam pad (in its cover). More expletives...in my head.

With any luck, the siding folks will be here Monday to replace the leaky bedroom window and repair the rotted wood under the siding and the damaged drywall below. AFTER that's done, the rig's heading north...finally.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
John, Sorry about your futile day. We've all had 'em.

After hearing this, I got pushed off the fence on letting Mobile Outfitters put mine on, at the rally labor price of $50. Trace

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I'm sure with the proper tools you could have have changed out the bolts easily. ( quality 1/2" battery impact wrench) Not fun working in a storage lot either.

JohnDar

Doing some additional research in the air conditioned comfort of my S&B, methinks the bolts are serrated. That notwithstanding, I was trying to wrench the nut off, not turn the bolt. Maybe a liberal application of Liquid Wrench may be in order since the exposed threads were rusted. I'd still feel safer having a complete set of replacement bolts, though. Anybody know what size/spec. they are? Weekend ain't no time to be busting bolts in the storage yard.

Maybe next toy, er, tool, to acquire might be that 1/2" battery impact driver. I've got a 1/4" Bosch one that's pretty handy, but not quite up to the task of the bigger fasteners. Actually made putting the lug nuts on faster and used a torque wrench for the final "ummph."

JohnDar

John:
This manual is on the Heartland Owner's "Tools" tab. It says the proper torque for suspension shackle bolts is 35 foot pounds. I think either there is corrosion on your bolt threads or somebody went overboard with the "persuader" wrench.
http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/Exterior/Frame/Lippert/Suspension_Fastener_Torque.pdf

P.S. Now I feel better about the big charge I had to pay my RV servicer to have the NeverFail bushings installed.

Thanks, Bill. Maybe I underestimated my little impact driver. It's rated to 1500 in-lbs., which converts to 125 ft-lbs. I've got an adapter that will take a 3/8" socket, so I might just give it a try before throwing in the towel. Perhaps give them a soak of Liquid Wrench first. I had it with me but didn't think to try it on that rusty bolt. Another brain-dead moment.

JohnDar

Shoulda called. I could have used the workout.

Woulda called if I'd planned it ahead a bit. As it was, blowing the fuse put things into a tailspin before the rusty nut/bolt did. Trying to tap dance between pulling shifts, jury duty, the weather, and doing house "stuff". I'm surprised you're not on the road someplace.

rick_debbie_gallant

Shoulda called. I could have used the workout.

Woulda called if I'd planned it ahead a bit. As it was, blowing the fuse put things into a tailspin before the rusty nut/bolt did. Trying to tap dance between pulling shifts, jury duty, the weather, and doing house "stuff". I'm surprised you're not on the road someplace.

Getting stuff down around the house, yard. Papa thing with grandkids. Soccer, basketball, dr appointments, dentist appointments etc...

JohnDar

Re: Frustration Part II

So, we've been waiting for the siding contractor to show up to replace the upstairs window and repair the water damage caused by it leaking. The window had to be ordered and manufactured by a company called Mastic out of Kansas City. Fellows show up and start unpacking the window, delivered by the building materials distributor. Seems the manufacturer didn't include all of the trim parts needed to properly install it. So now we're in a holding pattern until they find out what the manufacturer is going to do to make it right. I suggested demanding a rebate of some $$$ for their snafu. Hopefully before the end of the day we'll have some idea of when to expect the missing parts and for the job to be completed. Don't want to repair the interior drywall damage until the leaking window above it is replaced.

And the BH is still sitting in the storage yard. If it's going to be more than a couple of days, it's going up north before the weekend.

"It just goes to show you it's always something..." Roseanne Rosannadana

JohnDar

Re: Frustration Part II

Just a follow-up on the spring bushing upgrade attempt. I took my little 1/4" impact driver out to the rig today and tried to loosen one of the bolts. Even though it can generate 125 ft-lbs. of torque, again, no joy. Between prevailing torque nuts and rusty threads, it'll take a pound of dynamite to get them off. I'll probably leave it go until the next time I take it in for service and let the dealer do it. Probably cost less than going out and buying a monsta impact wrench.

But I did reinstall the two TV's and hook in the satelite receiver today, along with taking some stuff out to the rig. Checked tire pressure, reinstalled the TST sensors, and checked the spring retainer U-bolt torques. All good. Taking the rig to the seasonal site come Thursday, set it up, and head back home. Back up on Saturday with the furballs and the rest of our "stuff." Our 2012 season is about to begin...finally. When the siding contractor is ready to finally do the repairs to the house, I'll come back for a couple of days and then head back up.

lwmcguir

We go 135-150 on 9/16 studs. On the trucks then it is definitely 150 pounds. No wheels passing us that way.