2012 bighorn silverado problem

n2snow2

:confused: well im confused i purchased a 2012 heartland silverado bighorn about 2 months ago we used it on one trip for 2 weeks had a few problems all are supposed to be fixed but camper still at dealer its been 6 weeks they have had it longer then i have. they have been waiting on a sliding mirrior closet door that broke they cant seem to get a new one what do i do they have been trying to get one for 6 weeks .................i called factory dealer has called factory no one has any idea

jimtoo

Hi n2snow2,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

It's very unusual that if you called the factory with you VIN handy and they could not tell you when to expect the door at your dealer. If that is all that is wrong, I would pickup the trailer and use it. You don't need the sliding mirror door to go camping.

Jim M

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Why are you leaving the BigHorn at the dealer? Did the dealer say you can not take it home?
Try this, when the door mirror comes in take your rig back to the dealer and get it installed while you wait.
'jimtoo's' advise is right on.

n2snow2

Why are you leaving the BigHorn at the dealer? Did the dealer say you can not take it home?
Try this, when the door mirror comes in take your rig back to the dealer and get it installed while you wait.
'jimtoo's' advise is right on.

i would like to do that but camper will be out of state for 5-6 months i guess my point is how hard can it be for them to replace this mirror with all the problems we had on our first trip im kinda gun shy the sink in kitchen fell out living room floor soaking wet from driving 200 miles in the rain i understand all brands will have problems but for the money i would think they could if anything have a mirrior cut to fit in town .............:mad:

bighorn3370

I would lean on the dealer and have them take a door off another unit that they have in stock. At my work, we have done this to get the customer going if a part was not readily available. Ernie.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
It's not unheard of for dealers to blame Heartland for slow delivery of parts only to find out they were never ordered in the first place. I'd do like Jim suggested. Have your VIN handy, call Heartland customer service and get the facts from the source.

n2snow2

called heartland gave them my vin there all good with fixing problem but i guess 2012 rv they dont make the same mirrior the new one is shorter too small i asked dealer today if they could have new one cut he said yes but heartland wont pay for it how is it my problem they dont use that size for 2013 dealer has lots of trailers on lot but if he gives me a mirrior from one he will never sell it with no mirrior to bad i paid cash for the trailer......................

Wharton

Why doesn't the dealer or you just go to a glass place and have them cut a new mirror. See if Heartland will pay for it. If not, I don't think it would cost that much but if the mirror came broken Heartland should pay for it. Or else go on your trip and tell the dealer if it ever comes in to hold it for you. Have him measure it to make sure it is the correct size after he receives it.

I don't see why the dealer has to keep the rig while waiting for the mirror.

bighorn3370

I would still push the dealer to use one off there lot. I would bet they would get a mirror faster. Like you said they can't sell it with out one. When I got my BH it need a counter top that took 3 mouths to get. I had the Bh the whole time when it came in, I then took the Bh to the dealer. I would not let mirror keep me from using the BH. As for paying cash I do not think if you had a loan it would be any better. The dearler gets the money before you take it off the lot. I do not know all the people that you have talked to but if they are not getting what you want. I would talked to the next up the chain. You can step on peoples feet nicely, and it will not get them upset. I have done many times. I asked for there boss as I feel they nolonger make the decision to make it happen. Ernie

n2snow2

:cool:well i just got a phone call from heartland mirrior ships out today should be here by tues. i hope so maybe ill be camping next week............

what floor plan do you have and have you owned other units before this one. i am just asking to see how you think the quality stacks up against other units.

n2snow2

we have the 33rl never owned a camper in my life we really like having a fithwheel have went on two trips and have had problems with the sink falling out the mirriors breaking air doesnt keep up at all in 80 degree weather fridge wont stay cold vent cap on roof blew off you cant hear the tv over the air conditioner when you open the slides the seals fall off we are already thinking of trading im afraid if i take it in for warranty work and to pay another 1000 for the extra air for the bed room that i wont see the rv for another 6-8 weeks that how long i waited for a mirrior you know the air wont even cool the living room under a shade treeforgot bathroom door wont shut correct we stayed by the beach didnt even open the storage doors but the storage compartments are full of sand trailer pulls great i just dont think the quailty is there to demand such high prices they came down on price 500 but the hitch cost 3000 grand :mad:

LowBoost

Wow! I recently joined these forums to research on some products. I was close to get a Torque Toy Hauler, but after some discussions with the wife, we have spent a few days driving around and visiting RV dealers. We really liked the Silverado 36TB!
Being new to RV (never owned one) I wonder why I read many complaints about "cheap" build quality, on the Silverados?
I mean, we saw many, many "cheaper" (This is being absolutely relative/suggestive) quality/build models… even from Heartland RVs.

Not sure if many are "used to" much more luxuries, but I feel the 36TB has a lot of we want in an RV.
Of course, I can be way off, and possibly after my first experience, I would find out what many complaints about.

This being said, I am really worried I have a similar experience with whatever we decide to purchase?
Are these type of flaws normal/expected?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The word cheap can mean different things to different people.
I think that in this case cheap is used to describe lesser quality materials.
There may be plastic sinks in place of a stainless or ceramic type of sink.
There may be particle board cabinetry rather than solid hardwood.
The use of the lesser quality materials translates to lower cost to the consumer. The price ranges of these RV's reflect that.
Some people expect a $80,000 for $10,000 and when that don't happen they call it cheap.
So manufacturers try to build these rigs to suit a wide range of budgets.

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The dealer also makes a difference, they are supposed to do a PDI and check the unit to make sure there are no issues before turning it over to the customer. Some do this well... others, don't do it at all, putting the burden on the consumer to discover them and come back for service. This, sadly causes a poor reflection on the manufacturer.

If one looks at a trailer as a very cheap house, rather than a very expensive vehicle, the perspective and expectation will be much different. ;)

LowBoost

Some people expect a $80,000 for $10,000 and when that don't happen they call it cheap.
So manufacturers try to build these rigs to suit a wide range of budgets.

Dave

Exactly what I meant! ;) - OK, I can live with how "cheap" the Silverado 36TB is for me. LOL
Also, the layout is absolutely perfect for us.

@TravelTiger: The dealer I plan on buying it from told me to give them two days, so they can run AC and everything else for a full 24hrs before handing it over to me for first use. I took that as a very nice gesture and taking care of the customer.

BTW - I see it as a very cheap house… hope I am looking at it the correct way. :D

Thanks for all the great comments.

n2snow2

i think in life you should pay for what you get and get what you pay for as far as people wanting a $80000 rv for $10000 anyone would but i spent $50000 and i expected a $50000 trailer as far as the dealer and there pdi they said they ran air 24 hrs and went over everything i call bs on that they told us they would go over everything with us it would take about 2 hrs yeah right they took 15 min of there time to show us that everything that worked of battery i have a perfect floor plan but none of that matters if you cant use it when its hot out or you cant drive down the road when it wet the slides leak you cant watch tv when the air is on you cant hear the tv bathroom door wont stay closed shower leaks i hope i lke my next one more than this one

bighorn3370

N2snow2, I do not think anything that anyone would say or do would make you happy. But I am sorry you feel the way you do. You said this was your first RV. You bought a mid-price range RV and one that is made for a price point. Therefore, you have not been down the road of how the RV industry works. The biggest thing thing I see is your dealer is talking a lot and not doing much for you. I grew up camping with my family. All the A/C units in trailers are loud and make it hard to watch TV. On my last fifth wheel and on my BH, I had to have the showers resealed because they leaked a bit. As far as the the slide leaks, sometimes the seals do not move in or out all the way, you need to look at them. If the bathroom door will not stay closed, I would bet the latch needs a small adjustment. In keeping the fifth wheel cool or hot, insulation is the key. I have had no problem with the way the A/C works on my BH, but others have made a tent mod to theirs. You can find it on the forum. Regarding the sand in the storage compartments, they are not air tight. Wind blows, and sand goes everywhere. Ernie

danemayer

i spent $50000 and i expected a $50000 trailer
Hi n2snow2,
$50,000 is a lot of money to anyone and it's quite reasonable to expect a purchase like this to meet your expectations. But as many of us have found, the road is not without bumps on the way.

We've got a large unit with 2 A/C units and still had to do some mods to get better cooling. We often camp in 100+ weather with direct sun and we'll probably add window awnings next year to help some more. The A/C units are very noisy and I had to figure out how to get the satellite and over-the-air TV sound into the surround sound so we could hear it better.

A lot of people camp in more moderate conditions and never have to deal with these issues. The rest of us figure out how to adapt so we can enjoy our time out and about.

We've also had our share of things that needed to be adjusted or replaced. I'm happy with the dealer service people we use, but I will also admit that they don't always get it right the first time. I share information with them with a goal of improving the odds of success the first time. Getting some of the parts we've needed has taken a lot longer than I'd like, but I also understand the process and why it takes that long. I don't like it, but I've come to terms with it.

We really enjoy our rig and have never let short-lived problems steal our joy. They're just problems waiting to be solved. Sometimes we have to make adjustments to get past a problem, but we have a good time anyway. Eventually everything gets resolved.

I'd encourage you to work with your dealer and with Heartland Customer Service on clearing up the things that are giving you a problem. You're entitled to have a rig that works and I'm sure you can get there.