Fresh water fill question

wingfoot

We're going to do some dry camping and I want to fill my fresh water tank to capacity. In the past my DW has watched the gauges and told me when it registered full. I have found this procedure does not give me a full tank and I'll need all the fresh water I can load. How do you guys fill your tank to capacity...fill until it comes out the Vent or what? I have a warning label posted in the DOC not to use pressure to fill fresh water tanks..potential tank bursting...

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I fill mine till it comes out the fill hole . I have found one needs to clean the vent screen once in awhile too. It eventually will calcium up some and restricts the air from expelling fast enough......Kenny

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
We seldom carry much water, except enough for the emergency flush, but when I sanitize the tank I do fill it full just as Ken decribes...until it won't take anymore in the fill hole! I have found it necessary to blow the vent free sometimes to aid in the filling process, otherwise it can be slow to fill.

rick_debbie_gallant

I usually fill my fresh water tank just prior to arrival.. something about carringnall that water sloshing about bothers me plus it can't be good for the rig. Figure 8.33 p
Lbs per gallon and you have just shy of a half ton.:eek::eek:

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Xparent Red Tapatalk

CactusTwo

When I fill, I fill using my dual water filters to cut the smell and sediment from home, on the road or site water conditions. Also when I think it is almost full (as per the gauge inside) I slow the fill to real slow and watch "with a beverage in hand" until it drips out of the fill hole. Travelling with water is heavy.....but arriving to NO avaliable water when you arrive is hard on dry camping too!! research, call, ask around to be safe before you leave. On the way home I put a bit of bleach (1/4 cup) into the tank fill and let whatever water is left slosh around and disinfect. Use the water when you get home to wash your rig of the road grime.:cool:

Rodbuster

Cleaning and/or blowing out the vent screen sounds like a good idea. I tried to put water in the fresh water tank a couple of days ago and it would only take about 15 gallons and then it would start coming out of the fill hole.
Just offhand, does anybody know what size tank is in the Landmark?

porthole

Retired
The cyclone holds a 100 gallons. (edit - new tanks are 54 or 56 gallons each)
When necessary I fill it, sometimes my portable 28 gallon too (like this week for Dover).

I'll fill about 2/3 on full and turn it down almost all the way. Wait for it to come out the vents.

I'll usually dump just enough then to clear the vent lines.

iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jnbhobe

I usually run with full a tank unless I know where I am going to stop. always have run that way just never changed but I never run out of water.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Since we always have a city water connection we only run with enough water to be able to use the toilets and was hands while on the road. No sense that carrying more than we need since water is so heavy. Sometimes we add water once we arrive.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We've just about stopped carrying water in the fresh water tank. A gallon milk jug filled with water is plenty to flush the toilet if we have to stop and use our own restroom. We usually stop at a rest area or truck stop and use their facilities.

porthole

Retired
City water and a gallon jug are fine, but the OP is talking about dry camping - boon docking, and the recommended way to max fill the tanks.

As to filling the tanks (to the OP) I wouldn't depend on the accuracy of the gauge. The vents overflowing is a definite though.

And, just to be on the safe side, it wouldn't hurt to pop the underbelly off a bit and peak in at the tanks while you are filling them the first time, making sure the tank supports are looking OK.

ChangingPlaces

We changed our tank monitor gauges as the original one always gave false readings. If you are like me I am always checking the water and power gauges, a bit sad. We fitted SeaLevel II made by Garnet instruments Ltd, Canada. The senders stick on the outside of the tanks. Once you replace the the new wiring loom to the gauges, its all go. They seem to be fairly accurate. Another way I collect water is when it rains I put two 20L buckets under the drip spouts at the back of the rig. I have on ocassions collect 40L in 1/2 hr. Then I use a bilge pump to pump it in the rig. This is very good especially when there is a lack of water.
Thats right it does'nt rain in the States LOL. We get plenty of it in little NZ, so always collecting water.
Cheers Paul

CliffP

We changed our tank monitor gauges as the original one always gave false readings. If you are like me I am always checking the water and power gauges, a bit sad. We fitted SeaLevel II made by Garnet instruments Ltd, Canada. The senders stick on the outside of the tanks. Once you replace the the new wiring loom to the gauges, its all go. They seem to be fairly accurate. Another way I collect water is when it rains I put two 20L buckets under the drip spouts at the back of the rig. I have on ocassions collect 40L in 1/2 hr. Then I use a bilge pump to pump it in the rig. This is very good especially when there is a lack of water.
Thats right it does'nt rain in the States LOL. We get plenty of it in little NZ, so always collecting water.
Cheers Paul

Off subject but what kind of mileage do you get with your rig Paul?

I have found that a small amount of water gets trapped in the vent line while filling the tank. I usually take my small portable air compressor , using the attachment that allows you to
blow air by sqeezing the trigger. I blow a small amount of air into the vent hole. Once I do this you can hear and feel the air from the fresh water tank escaping. After doing this I am
able to fill the tank to capacity . Makes a big difference than just filling until it comes out of the fill hole.