Need info, pictures ect - upgrading cyclone tires and wheels...Not a tire debate

dougw

Yes I've searched this forum as well another and I'm not finding all that I seek so I'd appreciate some help.

Ive managed to wear out the Towmax tires on my cyclone 3010 as well as I managed to cut the sidewall on one this weekend. So I'm pondering going to 110psi rims and tires. I haven't yet decided on 17.5" or 16" rims yet. Someone posted some pictures of there upgraded rims and I can't seem to find them. They looked kind of stylish like the stock rims. I even checked some of the on line shops people posted and I have yet to recognized them.

So I was hoping all you great people could share with me your photos again if not to much of a pain. I would appreciate.

Also what are the rim and bolt patterns needed? 16x6 by? And 17.5x?

Im not yet sure of the tires yet. At first I thought I'd do the g614's in 16" but seems there has been issues with them over the 17.5".

I didnt want to start a tire debate over this since there is plenty of posts covering that issue. I'm really looking for rim info and if you don't mind maybe what, where, and cost(g) and pics.

Thanks a million.

Doug

gasman

Camp Socializer
Are you sure that you don't already have 11o rims? I pulled a wheel to check it out on my BC. On the backside of the rim there was a stamp that said 110 psi.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I think one of the threads you are looking for is HERE.
Some good info there for you. There are some links there for the 17.5 in wheels.

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
If they are the triple-axle, I seem to see most Cyclone owners saying they have three 6k axles and 80 psi rated rims.

Good idea to look on the backside for that stamp, and if still in doubt you can call HL to ask what it was built with... Have your vin handy.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I remember the thread you are referring to but I couldn't find it either. The one thing that stuck in my mind about that conversion was the $550 quoted for each wheel! Probably the most sure-fire option but too pricey for me.

Many of the manufacturers use wheels made by Sendel Our Big Country is fitted with the T02 model. I noticed that the T02 has PSI rating according to the number of bolts e.g. 6 bolt patterns are 80 PSI and the 8 bolt is 110psi. Perhaps you can find some helpful information from them.

dougw

I defiantly have 80 psi rims on my 2 7k axles. As much as I really really don't want to by new rims, I don't want to give up even 20lbs of tire capacity.

Thanks alot

jimtoo

Doug,,, have you checked the "Similar Threads" area at the bottom of this thread? It is an automatic search about the same subject of wheels.

Jim M

dougw

Do I want 0 offset rims as well? Also any idea what the stud size is?

I appreciate all this and yes i could go and measure all this but I'm thinking that the people who have done this already might help back up what I find. This is a bit pricy to screw up so asking first helps later.

Thanks

porthole

Retired
To add to my post, personally, with a toy hauler and the increased loading on the tires, especially the 2 axle 3010, I really like the stout Goodyear G-114's I have now (17.5").

And when I bought them they were less expensive then the more popular 614's.
Wheel & tire package was $30 less per set.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ifbg1p
iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We just used Trailer Tire and Wheel in Edon, OH to upgrade to 17.5 rims and G114's...here's a pic of the new tires and rims....

Attachments

• IMAG0056.jpg
    IMAG0056.jpg
    597.8 KB · Views: 32

dougw

Thanks for the pics, just what I was looking for.

I measured the rim that came off the trailer as 16x6 with 6.5" between centers w 5/8" bolt holes. Hopefully that sounds right.

Sure is a big difference in price between 110psi 16" rims and 17.5" rims.

Thanks for the rim pics

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Price is always a factor, but knowing our tires can NOW carry 2,000 pounds more than the ENTIRE trailer weighs...is priceless!! LOL...

Your best bet is to contact Scott at Trailer Tire and Wheels and discuss your options...he will help you make the right decision...

porthole

Retired
Doug, you should talk to Scott directly.
When I bought mine, the 17.5 wheels were less the 110psi 16" wheels.

He is a stand up guy. If he buys tires at a good price he sells them at a good price, and doesn't raise the sell point just because future stock goes up.

So if he tells you he had X number of sets available for X price, the above is probably the reason.

If you search my "mods" thread you can see pics of my 17.5 wheels tires on a 3010.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?rzwt4k
iPhone using Tapatalk

dougw

So I called Scott today and he's a very nice knowalable. I can't say that 17.5" wheel and tire combo was even close to a 16" combo but close enough to make it worth thinking about.

He pointed out some interesting things though. Like truck tires have steel sidewalls, unlike st tires. Also that the tires have a 7 year warrentee on the carcus that can be re treaded if that was something someone wanted to do. A couple things to think about though is while truck have a harder tread which should theoretically give better mpg it also decrease stopping distance (0.5g vs 0.7g average drag coeffecient between truck and car tires). Not sure if that is any big deal on trailers like these.

I'm also a bit curious if the frame mfg and trailer mfg's have any input on using truck tires on the trailers.

So based on prices, I think I'm going to do research on the cooper road master tires.