First Impressions

bigmaho

Love this little thing. Picked it up in South Dakota and now we're in New Mexico. Back country camped this weekend and successfully managed to sleep 4 and a dog on board (2 adults and 2 college age kids). The secret of the 4th was a self inflating camping pad, 24x74x2.5". The feet went under the table so she didn't block the bathroom door. It was cozy, but no complaints (and kids always seem to travel in pairs, so fitting 4 was an essential).

I tow with a jeep liberty diesel. It handles the weight well, but ran into some serious sway on the highway. I added a 2nd battery to the front to give some more tongue weight which helped some and I'll add an anti sway bar as soon as it comes in this week.

Had one failure, the kitchen drain pipe broke so I inadvertently cleaned the floor with soapy water. I'll have a Heartland shop fix it as soon as I can find one in northern New Mexico . It might require cutting a new piece of pvc and gluing on a bunch of fittings. I'll let them do it under warranty before I mess it up.

I too am a new MPG owner. I hope this comes across as simply stating events and not ranting. We recently purchased a new 2011 (never sold) MPG 182 to replace a 2008 Coleman E2 pop up that was 3 years of warranty and then FTCA goes out of business no-warranty. So our new MPG left the dealer with the only known problem of a warped pantry door next to the microwave. We took it on it's maiden voyage that weekend. Problems list;
1. Upper bunk rear wall support had only 3 screws securing it to the wall and only the center and passenger side ones hit something. So upper bunk was off limits.
2. Fridge was bowed up at bottom to the point that a bottle would fall over.
3. Main cabin light switch at entrance was shorting out.
4. Toilet was not sealed to shower pan so during a shower, water flooded the trailer floor and behind/underneath cabinets.
5. Other piddly trim issues.

Took it back to dealer less than 7 days after owning it. Many issues with dealer and their warranty person and a tech that decided to leave the two ac exterior vent covers face down on the ground under the new fridge box that proceeded to scratch the two covers up trerribly, blah blah. 36 days later I picked up the trailer. Still no pantrry door as it was on custom order from Heartland (not Heartland's issue, dealer warranty person issue). New fridge installed, and a super sloppy silcone job to seal toilet.

Got home to now realize the Sicaflex gray sealant that seals the trailer edges was now shrinking and exposing gaps. Dealer offered to re seal this but after looking at the job done by the tech with the toilet, I decided to call Heartland. They sent out 4 whole tubes of the gray Sicaflex sealant but now I get to dig out the old and reseal the trailer. Not too bad except here in AZ it is north of 100 degrees and not going down for months. Oh well, it would need to be done anyway as my wife and I have been de-stickering our trailer and the sealant gets messed up when you remove the vinyl stickers.

Now despite this, we really do like this trailer in it's design size, function and all. It tows well behind all three of our jeeps, and the kids get all excited to go out in it too.

Just wanted to get this all down. I feel better now. Heartland customer service has been super great to deal with. I have to keep reminding myself that the trailer hit AZ in Sept 2010 so it is nearly 2 years old even though we just go it. Anyone else have issues with the edge sealants?
Kevin

bigmaho

So far so god with ours. Mostly colder weather camping in northern New Mexico (last few nights at 10,000' plus). Haven't taken care of the kitchen drain yet, but it's a 5 minute job for a person with pvc parts and cement. No complaints. Especially love the fridge that's fully auto. I had to manually light my old pop up fridge and it was either too warm or froze up. This one is a delight. Brakes might need a little adjustment, it pulls a bit to the left when slow speed stopping, but to be expected. I'll swing by our dealer in SD before heading back east. Been in some rain, but no downpours, no sign of any leaks anywhere. And added a sway control friction bar and 2nd battery so sway issues are fixed. We're happy campers. Just want to add a window by the dinette sometime if I'm brave enough to cut a hole in it.

kb0zke

Glad you're enjoying your mpg, bigmaho. We're had ours for about 18 months now, and only a couple of small issues. Since the factory warranty is up, we're under the extended warranty, which basically covers big things. We've had a couple of really heavy rains lately, and found water under the a/c. Not sure how the rain is coming through, but I'll have to take a look. A connector broke on the sink hose, so we've washed the floor with dishwater, too. That's this afternoon's project.