New Window Awning

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Finally mounted the new window awning on the entertainment slide. Sure cuts down the sun load coming in the window and reflecting off the desk. Also allows the window to remain open during a shower (as it is now). Pretty simple to put it up. Kinda screwed up when I ordered it, and didn't get the identical color/fabric as the main and DS window awnings, but it looks good anyways.

Also did the Mouse-Free spray application today. Even though I was pretty liberal with the stuff all over the frame and supports, I only used about 3/4 gallon. So I've got enough left for the next three years.

Last photo is Camp Gotchurwallet 2012, and you can see the obstacle of getting a satelite fix through the trees. But, we like this site, so we're sticking with it.

View attachment 19761View attachment 19762View attachment 19763View attachment 19764

pegmikef

My tail gater works with smaller openings than that, but that is dependent on where south is. . . it seems to work almost straight up (10 - 15 degrees elevation), but I'm not sure. Awning looks great!

JohnDar

Thanks. As for the satelite, it might be dependent on where you are relative to "south." I'm sitting a little north of the 45th parallel. Looking at some of the regular satelite dishes mounted on trees around here, they're almost pointing horizontal. I did have a signal briefly with the dome sitting between the truck and the trees in the new photo, but a new leaf must have sprouted in that slot cuz I lost it and haven't been able to get it back.

I'm taking all the gear home tomorrow and will test it again on my south facing driveway with no obstructions. Just to be certain that some gremlin didn't make a home in the electronics.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
John Said: "Kinda screwed up when I ordered it, and didn't get the identical color/fabric as the main and DS window awnings, but it looks good any ways"

Looks nice John...
Funny thing, even when I ordered my awning for the big slide, the color was right but the section of fabric they used to make the awning is not the same as my patio awning. I really don't like the way it looks but it functions and I didn't feel like dealing with Camping World at the time.

JohnDar

Good News/Bad News on Satelite Problem

We're back home and I set up the satelite gear on my clear southern exposure driveway. Good news is that it's not a hardware problem. Bad news is that it's not a hardware problem. Wife has convinced me to take the gear back to the rig when we return later this month and try doing the "Dances with Dome" routine one more time. Before I do, I think I'll upgrade my cell phone and get a satelite finder app.

On another note, on Friday night, into Saturday morning, we had a sustained heavy downpour. I checked all over and it's good to know there are no leaks in our rig. All systems are working fine. And I brought the rear side window valances and lammykins home to modify for the vertical blind head rails on order. The lammykins will be butchered for extra fabric, if needed.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Re: Good News/Bad News on Satelite Problem

Looks very good. We also put individual window awnings on our other BC 3250. Our current coach had a big enough slide on the door side that we put an electric awning on the living slide. Love the extra outdoor sitting area. the off side doesn't have any windows.

JohnDar

Where are the awnings from John?

It's a Dometic awning that I ordered from Camping World. The color/fabric goof was mine, not theirs.

It comes with both screws and large pop rivets (#4's ?) to attach the arm brackets with. I used the rivets, embedding them in caulk. A little scary drilling holes in the wall with a #5 bit, but after the first one, it's no longer frightening. It becomes more of a religious exercise, invoking deities that it all works.

Herbiesrig

North Central Region Directors-Retired
We put them on our sofa and dining windows, and yes it does make a great difference when we are in open sun

JohnDar

We put them on our sofa and dining windows, and yes it does make a great difference when we are in open sun

Even with the abundance of trees we have around us, the early morning or late afternoon sun can be blinding, especially reflecting off the desk in the entertainment slide. More so if the lid on my laptop is down :cool:. We do have a large one on the main slide that covers both the sofa and dining table that was put on after our first summer season. And it does cut down the heat load inside. Being able to leave those windows open during a rain on a warm day is a bonus, too. With the Fantastic Fan covered as it is, we can ventilate without the A/C unless it's really nasty hot.

porthole

Retired
We have the solar windows, so that helps a bit. But the garage sure does take a heat load on with no awning and no shades/blinds over the door window.
Maybe these mini awnings will help.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
John...just ordered two A&E window awnings that will be delivered to Gillette...did yours come with the awning rail?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Kathy, the awnings come with everything you will need.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JohnDar

John...just ordered two A&E window awnings that will be delivered to Gillette...did yours come with the awning rail?

As Dave mentioned, they come complete. All you need are tools and a tube of caulk. You can screw the arm brackets to the thin wall, but I think the rivets are a better idea. But you do need a rivet gun and a #5 drill bit for them.