Closet Doors

Sandie

There has got to be something better and safer for owners than those sharp and easily breakable plastic things that are being used. I cannnot tell you how many times I have scratched my arms up, and sometimes badly, going in and out of the closet getting something from the floor. Every single RV put out there with these awful attachments need to be recalled. I feel that they can be extremely dangerous, especially for a child of the same height. I have seen so may people complain about this already...whats it going to take?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Sorry about your problems but the latches are pretty standard in the industries, anotherwords just about all the manufacturers use the same type of latches. I have broken a couple in the past and replaced them with the rounded edge latches that I have gotten from the dealership.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Sandie, If you have the "sliding" glass closet doors......take off the plastic latch's and install 3" of the HD Velcro on the door frame and doors. No more torn skin. Did this 4 years ago on the Horn. Works great and no more blood letting.

Sandie

Sorry about your problems but the latches are pretty standard in the industries, anotherwords just about all the manufacturers use the same type of latches. I have broken a couple in the past and replaced them with the rounded edge latches that I have gotten from the dealership.
Not sure about these being standard and used by all manufacturers as we have had 4 other RV's and this is the first one I ever have had that used these.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Sandie, I was under the impression that Heartland had changed the closet latches a few years ago. Before 2011 for sure. Our sharp ones were replaced with a black plastic latch that has sounded smooth corners.
As Bob said, Velcro works well but make sure you use the quality stuff with the good adhesive. You could call Heartland and ask for the newer style.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My 2009 BH3670 (build date Feb. 2008) came with the clear flesh eating latches. Photos I took of a BH3670 at the 2010 Detroit RV show have the rounded black latches. Another brand also had them, while a third brand had the flesh eaters. Fortunately, a kind hearted soul and his charming missus visited us the summer of 2009 and bestowed the gift of two black rounded latches upon us. And there was much rejoicing in the land.

Sandie

My 2009 BH3670 (build date Feb. 2008) came with the clear flesh eating latches. Photos I took of a BH3670 at the 2010 Detroit RV show have the rounded black latches. Another brand also had them, while a third brand had the flesh eaters. Fortunately, a kind hearted soul and his charming missus visited us the summer of 2009 and bestowed the gift of two black rounded latches upon us. And there was much rejoicing in the land.
Flesh Eaters just about sums it up. I will have to look into those black ones for sure...thanks

bighorn3370

I had changed them on my BH. I got them right from General RV. Best thing I have done. I do find when I am camping that I do not keep them latched. I just latch them when I travel. Ernie

Last edited:

Bkupplan

I have the black plastic pulls on my 2011 BH3670RL and one has already broken. Not strong enough and I anticipate the other breaking soon. I am glad I still have a warranty in place.

JohnDar

I have the black plastic pulls on my 2011 BH3670RL and one has already broken. Not strong enough and I anticipate the other breaking soon. I am glad I still have a warranty in place.

Are your sliding doors different than ours? We don't have plastic pulls on the doors, just the latches on the door frame to lock them into while traveling. The door frames are aluminum with a pull lip extruded into the design. We also only latch the door shut for transport. With the cats in residence with us, we leave both sides ajar so they can run through there when they play tag. One likes to sleep in the little space under the clothes cabinet.

Bkupplan

You are correct. I was thinking latches and wrote pulls, sorry for the confusion. I have the same doors as you describe. Ours broke at our Dover race weekend. When my wife opened the closet door, the latch broke off in her hand. I am looking for an alternate device and will change them out when I find one.

Sandie

You are correct. I was thinking latches and wrote pulls, sorry for the confusion. I have the same doors as you describe. Ours broke at our Dover race weekend. When my wife opened the closet door, the latch broke off in her hand. I am looking for an alternate device and will change them out when I find one.

Please share with us if you find something that won't tear our arms to shreds. I also leave ours unlatched when at a campground and only latch for travel. We have our kitties box way over on the left side in the closet and I tear my arms up almost everyday when I clean it. There has got to be a better way....

JohnDar

Kinda thunk that. I wonder if they might have changed suppliers on the black latches. The ones we have seem pretty sturdy and we don't baby them when we actually use them. It doesn't take much to screw up a plastic part by using an inferior mold design and building stress risers into the part.

Zuey

I'm going to do a mod on mine and remove the mirror doors and put in plastic Accordion doors. I get scared every time I see myself in the mirror doors!

Bkupplan

I know there are options. I am looking at two now. The first being HD velcro, the second being the magnetic catches that I use on the custom glass shower door enclosures that I design and install as a part of my business. I don't understand why Heartland will use a fifty cent item on a coach of this quality!

JohnDar

I'm going to do a mod on mine and remove the mirror doors and put in plastic Accordion doors. I get scared every time I see myself in the mirror doors!

Interesting idea, but I'd consider using fabric panels hung from a wooden (or PVC) rod like long curtains instead. That way there's no chance of breaking them accidently when trying to squeeze around making the bed. You could slide them fully open without taking up much space. Most foldling/accordion doors require additional space outside their closed plane to open them. Might get goosed, if you're not careful.

Westwind

Mine are both broken right now, my wife reverses the doors when we are camping and only uses the locks when we are traveling. I need to replace them before our warranty is up but it is time for the door manufacturer's to look for something better for sure.

nscaler2

Sandie, If you have the "sliding" glass closet doors......take off the plastic latch's and install 3" of the HD Velcro on the door frame and doors. No more torn skin. Did this 4 years ago on the Horn. Works great and no more blood letting.

X2. Has been working for us for 6 years.