Goldway Tires??

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
OK...our new 3600RL came with Goldway 235/85r16 G rated tires; has anyone had any experience with these?

They are LT not ST tires and so far look good, however, we are watching them intently for any problems, etc. Hope to get some wear before replacing with Goodyear G614's...any input would be appreciated.

Uncle Rog

I have no idea what you have there, chicom, no doubt. Check the GY web site and compare the tread patterns. The 3670 I am storing in my compound has Freestar tires with the same pattern as the G614's, not at all like the Trail Americas that cme stk on my 3600. Maybe the knock off tread pattern will be an improvement, maybe not. Knowing what I know now I would buy the Doran system or the Fetherolf system just for insurance. Don't forget to check your lug nuts every 50 miles for the first 500....good luck

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
kakampers said:
They are LT not ST tires

My Trail America tires are also LTs, but are marked as Trailer Use Only. See if your tires are also marked that way.

Check the DOT code and check it against the table that Forrest published in a previous post. This will tell you what company and where the tires were produced.

Chuck

kakampers

I do know they are chinese made tires. Looked that much up on the web, however, nowhere on them do they state "trailer use only", so we're hoping they're true LT tires.

Uncle Rog - if by "Doran" you're referring to the Pressure Pro system, we already have it and have used it for two years...wouldn't be without it! They do not appear to have the same tread pattern as the GY G614's, although they do look good, just not sure of the sidewall strength.

Uncle Rog

The LT tires are not the best for trailering, as I understand it, the ST's are designed for more weight and the tread pattern, with the smoother sides and shallower tread, creates less friction thus less heat build up. The GY's are very similar to the trailer tires we use on the lumber trailers. They also are marked "regroovable". Tdharley started a great thread on the GY's a while back, worth reading, after some blowout pictures were posted. It contain more info and links on the subject than most.....good luck

kakampers

I understand your concern, however, our experience over the last two years as fulltimers has shown us, without exception, that LT tires especially those with steelbelted sidewalls handle trailering MUCH better than ST tires. They take the stress from pivoting and sharp turns much better and the wear has been excellent!

The sidewalls on the ST's roll entirely too much causing breaks in the belting. Every time we've used ST tires we've had blowouts and excessive wear, and we use pressure pro to constantly monitor pressure and do not drive over 65mph, ever.

For our money and safety it will always be LT tires on our trailers.

kakampers

I posted this to "Ask the Factory", but as of yet it has not appeared on that thread...so maybe someone from the factory will see it hear...HELP!!

I was afraid these tires would be a problem and I was right, just didn't think it would occur so soon (picked up unit July 6th).

Got to Hershey PA to set up for the RV Show yesterday, and as usual checked these tires for abnormalities. On one of the rear axle tires we have all of a sudden developed at least six quarter size "bubbles" on the outer sidewall. I have never been able to get any info on the manufacturer, supplier, etc. for these china bombs and now need to have these defective tires replaced...WHO DO I CONTACT FOR WARRANTY??

Don't know of any retailers that carry them, can't even find anyone else who's rig came with them...Scott/Gary if your watching please provide me with contact info or help in replacing these time bombs! ASAP...don't want to have to move this rig with these things on here.

jbeletti

Ken,

ATF posts do not appear immediately. That is why you did not see your post after you made it. All ATF posts are moderated. John and I usually get to them within a few hours of them being made. I just reviewed and cleared that queue now.

As for your tire issues, I would not rely soley on an ATF post. Please call Customer Service at 8:00 AM EST on Monday - 574-262-8030.

Are you joining us at DE's site for a campfire on Friday night?

Jim

Pulltab

Kathy, if you decide to change to the Goodyears I still have your old spare here.

Sorry to hear the tires are failing. :(

kakampers

Jim,

Thanks, saw the ATF post just after I posted this. I will definitely call Heartland tomorrow morning...don't want to move this unit until this is corrected. Might have to put spare on though to head to next location in Talladega, AL, since we have show commitments .

As for the fire on Friday, I won't be able to make it as I will be at the RV show in Timonium, MD, but Kathy will be working Hershey and she will probably come over after she goes home and walks the dog.

Tab...thanks buddy, I will most likely be replacing them with Goodyear's, but want manufacturer of tires to help with replacement since these are definitely defective. Shouldn't have to bear all the cost of replacement of brand new tires with less than 4,000 miles on them!! We'll see what happens....

kakampers

Heartland came thru again!!

Just wanted to let everyone know that Heartland stepped up to the plate once again! After several days of trying to determine who was responsible for these unknown Goldway tires, I have replaced them with Goodyear G614's, and have come to an amicable resolution with Heartland!

Can't say enough about the reponsiveness of this company...after dealing with Monaco this is a real breath of fresh air!!:D

jbeletti

Bravo to Heartland and congrats Kathy.

Great meeting you last night at DE's campfire. Good fire roasted dogs by Cheryl too.

See you on the floor with your lunch :D

Jim