Guess what day it is

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
I meant to post this yesterday but time got away from us.

We're in our Big Country! At last!

We did our PDI. I video taped everything. We're making a list of any issues so the dealer can fix them.

Today we get to practice driving it.

That said, I'd love opinions on anything to check for today. We've got a few checklists, but since you guys own Heartland products, maybe you have specific things to consider.

We'll have pictures to share soon!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
After you've driven it around some and park it, check the plumbing connections for leaks. Fittings can loosen up. Then just use everything and enjoy yourself. Sure, things can fail on these rigs, but there's no point in living under a rain cloud worrying about them. After a day camping, do another inspection of all systems. Most system problems make themselves evident early on.

Do check the spring U-bolts for proper torque. The U-bolts have been known to be under torqued. They should be at 65 ft-lbs. on the U-bolts.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
After you've driven it around some and park it, check the plumbing connections for leaks. Fittings can loosen up. Then just use everything and enjoy yourself. Sure, things can fail on these rigs, but there's no point in living under a rain cloud worrying about them. After a day camping, do another inspection of all systems. Most system problems make themselves evident early on.

Do check the spring U-bolts for proper torque. The U-bolts have been known to be under torqued. They should be at 65 ft-lbs. on the U-bolts.

John, explain to me where the U-bolts are. Pretty please. :)

We're enjoying it so far. Nice cool morning here. Windows are open. Fridge is cold. Shower is hot. And the roof doesn't leak, that we can tell (thanks to yesterday's rain shower.) So things are great so far.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
John, explain to me where the U-bolts are. Pretty please. :)

We're enjoying it so far. Nice cool morning here. Windows are open. Fridge is cold. Shower is hot. And the roof doesn't leak, that we can tell (thanks to yesterday's rain shower.) So things are great so far.

The U-bolts are what hold the springs on the axles. The nuts you need to check are on top of the spring stack, where the U-bolt comes up through the plate. A little contortionistic getting at them, but something that does need to be checked occasionally. They should be at 65 ft-lbs. torque. While you're at it, check the wheel lug nut torques, too. Something like 110 - 120 ft-lbs. should be sufficient. That is a good thing to check periodically, too.