Added Solar

bigmaho

We usually dry camp so I added a 2nd battery and a flexible solar panel. So far it's been working great. It charges both batteries from 1/4 to full in 2 days. With decent sun we should be able to camp as long as we want without having to hook up to the jeep or AC to recharge. The panel is 9' long, 16" wide, has self adhesive backing and puts out 6 amps in full sun. It comes with cables and a charge controller. mpg solar.jpg
I mounted it on the drivers side from just in front of the tv antenna to just over the front curve. The controller is mounted inside the existing battery box.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/68-watt-Uni...084?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f16a29f94

evolvingpowercat

I bought a single 80 Watt solar panel on Amazon.com, that size has the best price per watt right now. I also bought a 8 amp solar charge controller from Camping World. This monitors the batteries being charged and shuts off the current when the batteries are charged so you don't boil water out of them.

I built a stand that folds into the back of the panel and just have it on the ground when I use it. It locks to my toy lock cable with a padlock. The total project cost under $ 200.

The 80 Watt Panel generates about 4.1 Amps charging current in full sun. I am changing the first bulb in all my lights to LED so I think this will do the job for me when dry camping and no Air Cond needed. I have a Yamaha 2400i generator to run the Air Cond but hope when Air Cond not needed I won't need it except intermittently.

Note: The other end of the AC cord is not plugged in, obviously one should never be running the AC to DC converter / charger and the solar panel at the same time.

Photos:
IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0128.jpg
    IMG_0128.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I would really like to create a solar system with two good sized panels on the roof. This is a good place to start.

http://www.wholesalesolar.com/RV.html

Joe,

I am gearing up to put a moderate solar setup on my BH.
I am a big fan of solar, as I have had it on a previous rig.

There are many solar outlets between here and Yuma, but the one you posted looks surprisingly good.

I had never heard of them. I will look at them closely before I buy anything.
Thank you. Trace

dave10a

Note: The other end of the AC cord is not plugged in, obviously one should never be running the AC to DC converter / charger and the solar panel at the same time.

I don't know what charge controller you are using, but most charge controllers allow to work in together with other charge sources because they are protected with diodes or other isolation means. I never disconnect anything while using the solar panels.....