Adding additional tanks

APT

I really like my NT 28BRS. It works great for my family of 5. We tend to stay in places where we have electric hookup only or none. Most of our trips are 4 nights or less with the fresh draining about the same rate as the grey filling up. We can usually make it the whole trip without dumping and filling while conserving water, but this is getting harder to do with 3 young children who like to do things for themselves. Also, we take 1 long trip each summer, 8 nights with electric only. Lots of beach time so lots of rinsing off. Have to dump and fill twice during that stay.

So, would it be possible to add an additional fresh and grey tank and plumb it?

SkyHawk

I was camping with a group last year and I ran into kinda the same problem, I have a two year old who must take a bath cause he gets very dirty and a wife that is not really used to conserving water, in our group one person brought an extra 50 gallons of fresh water in a fresh water drum in the back of his truck, he rigged a sure flow fresh water pump to it and it got power from our generator after he backed up close to our trailer and we just pumped an additional 25 gallons of fresh water into the tank that got us through the rest of our trip.. Sadly I pull our trailer with our 2008 Tahoe and do not have room for a 50 gallon drum of water yet....

Lynn1130

That is the method we use. Even with over 100 gals of water we can run low or out with 12+ people dry camping. I carry extra water in 6 gal water containers and pump to the main tank using a pump hooked to the gen batteries.

porthole

Retired
Our Cyclone holds 110 plus 10 in the water heater.
The 3 waste tanks hold 40 gallon each

When we do any trips that are questionable about water supply I carry this tank. Got it off a boat that decided to take a shortcut into the inlet. Jetty won.
Holds 28 gallons. I use the winterizing valve to pump it into the trailer's tanks.

A portion of our water is used to keep the pups hydrated, obviously after use that doesn't go in the holding tanks :rolleyes:.
If we get close to filling the gray tanks I will use the flush king valve and add some gray to the black tank.
I have not found black tank capacity a real issue yet, but we also don't have little ones traveling with us.

If offsite water is avaible but no dump station then outside water use will be used when it can be, e.g. beach rinse off etc.

You can if you so desire get a portable holding tank that you can drain the trailer into then tow that tank to a dump station.

Attachments

• Spare_water_tank_1.jpg
    Spare_water_tank_1.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Spare_water_tank_2.jpg
    Spare_water_tank_2.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

priorguy

I also have a 28brs. Why not put a tank under the lower bunk. Run a hose over to the winterizing port under the dinette, it's not too far. Might be another way to add water as the city connection, water heater, and outside shower are all under the lower bunk. Many ways to go with this, pick one that works for you.

DonnyB007

I used a "water thief" adapter shown below in some pictures when We camped at parks with a tap to share several camps and NO screw on hose connector. At some locations, I had to use duct tape to keep the tap open until my TT water tank was full up again. Some people would stop their trucks because my hose would cross the road on the fill ups. But it would only take about 20 minutes to fill my whole tank and saved a lot of carrying those blue portable water tanks back and forth to the TT.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 53

CeeCee99

You folks who take extra water, won't your tanks fill before your water runs out? Do you dump gray into black or what method?
That is the method we use. Even with over 100 gals of water we can run low or out with 12+ people dry camping. I carry extra water in 6 gal water containers and pump to the main tank using a pump hooked to the gen batteries.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Because of the dogs we have never had an issue of carrying an extra 28 gallons of water (tank kept in truck).

I use one of those "Flush King" valves. With that I get to leave both grey tanks open so they self level between the two tanks. And if necessary, it will allow me to move some water from full grey tanks to a less then full black tank.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I've been trying to get my hands on one of those water thief's, but Camping World is always out of them every time I look!