any comments on fold up bikes?

cashb

We are considering a pair of fold up bikes, for ease of carrying them mostly. Anyone have these? Pros and cons? I think we may be interested in the normal sized ones instead of the small tires.. but not sure if they are compact enough. Thanks for any input.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I bought a bike from camping world that was a fold up. It rusted very quickly. It is also difficult to ride in my opinion.

I broke down and bought a couple of aluminum bicycles and use the bicycle rack on the pinbox that is posted many times on this forum.

If you need more information about the mounting let us know.

BC

Sumo

I have a small fold up bike. It was alright for short trips. Now it spends its days hanging in the garage. We take our full size bikes with us when we travel. Much nicer to ride.

Gizzy

I've got one of the 20" fold up bikes. It is fine for riding on pavement, but useless on gravel or off pavement. You will be much better off with the larger wheel bike if you have room to carry them. JMHO

pegmikef

I agree with most of the others. Good on smooth roads, but poor on any other surface. We have 20 inch wheels and I feel that the bigger wheels would be much better. I can't say I wasn't warned, but at the time the price was really good.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
We recently purchased 2 folding bikes from Camping World that have 26 inch wheels. They look just like the old "cruiser" bikes, and are just as simple, meaning single speed and coaster brake. They ride nice, and I am thus far impressed with fit and finish (came with fenders, small rack behind seat, and bike stand). Having just a single speed, this bike definitely works best on fairly level terrain. I can fit both bikes in the basement folded, with seat and handle bar removed (both lock in with a cam lock, super easy). This works best for me as I did not want a bike rack.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We are also using the compact folding bikes. We love them and they are tucked safely in the compartment while traveling. We have the 6 speed version and in tough terraine (like Lake George, NY) we rode them just about everywhere. I find no difficulty in riding them at all.

hoefler

We are also using the compact folding bikes. We love them and they are tucked safely in the compartment while traveling. We have the 6 speed version and in tough terraine (like Lake George, NY) we rode them just about everywhere. I find no difficulty in riding them at all.

This has been our experience as well. We have the 12 speeds and have ridden them several hundred miles already.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have the DaHon 6 speed 20 inch fold up bikes we got at Camping World about 6 years ago. We have ridden them all over the place on road and off road. We love them and they ride smoothly and store easily in the front compartment. Don't leave home without them. Highly recommended.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We also have the 20", 6 speed folding bikes from camping world. They've been good bikes for our needs & store nicely in front of the hitch while traveling. Ya cannot use them for mtn biking but for the price (2 for $199 on sale ) we didn't go wrong.

hillsonwheels

My 2 cents...........We bought our single speed bikes at camping world three years ago. Used to store them in the basement but now they hang on a bike rack out back (there's another story!:mad:). Our greatest complaint is the seats. We've spent darned near as much on enhancements and replacements as the bikes cost. Just sayin'....old tender posteriors do not mate well with "knife blades"! :(

evolvingpowercat

I bought my folding bike from greenzonebikes.com a business in Houston Texas designed them and has them manufactured in China to their specs. They sell them on their web site and ship fedex ground to your address. It folds up a little smaller than the camping world ones. This was a critical consideration for me as the camping world ones would not fit thru the pass thru door of my Heartland Edge M21 and the greenzonebikes.com one I purchased does, even when in the free case that it comes with.

I am very satisfied with the greenzonebikes.com purchase. I got one of their 20" wheel folding 7 speed bikes. Had to do some minor paint scratch touch up other than that it was all adjusted correctly and ready to go.