SOLVED: Broken Waste valve-now what?

buffa2

Hi everyone! We bought a new North Trail 27RL last summer and haven't had any problems with it UNIL TODAY! I went to dump the black waste water tank (of course it is completely full!!) and the valve broke off! Now what?? I read somewhwere on this forum that the dealerships usually won't work on them if it is full. What am I supposed to do NOW?? Our unit hasn't seemed to dump normal ever since we bought it--it never gushes out like the gray tanks do. Thank you so much for all your help, in advance!

Jerry r.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Broken Waste valve-now what?

I don't have a NT, so I don't know the exact layout you have.
Is your underbelly enclosed? If it is then you will need to take it down and have a look.
You should be able to see the valve somewhere. Once you locate it you should be able to open it somehow. Just be sure you are hooked up to a drain.
Let us know how you make out.
Things always seem to break at the wrong time.

Peace
Dave

TedS

I suspect that the valve did not break off, the tank would now be empty. Did the handle break off the cable? Did the cable break off at the valve? If the cable just came loose from the valve, you should be able to reattach it after you open the belly and find the valve.

jbeletti

Jerry,

Broke how? Did the pull handle break off? Or did the valve cable break off from the valve and now you have a pull-handle with all that cable, out of the RV?

If only the handle came off, perhaps it's possible to use a tool to grab the pull wire inside the sheath.

If all the cable came out, then as Dave mentions, pull the underbelly down, find the black tank and then the valve and tear into the valve to the point where you may be able to manually pull it open.

Once dumped and cleaned, order a replacement valve and cable assembly from Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032. Best of luck and let us know how you come out.

buffa2

Thanks everyone for all of your replies!
It ended up just being the handle breaking off.Rethreaded
it, put it back on, adjusted it, and it works great. Thanks for all the advice!

jbeletti

Great news Jerry. Thanks for circling back to let us know and thanks for letting the "family" give you ideas.

porthole

Retired

Thanks everyone for all of your replies!
It ended up just being the handle breaking off.Rethreaded
it, put it back on, adjusted it, and it works great. Thanks for all the advice!

I think I would be inclined to get a new handle. If it broke once...............