Watching a Movie in Bed ~ North Trail 28BRS

mariannaw

We took our 2011 North Trail 28BRS out this past week for our first trip. After viewing the forum topics, it may be an issue we can't solve with existing equipment. How can we watch a DVD movie in bed with the Touch Audio without the sound from the Touch Audio? Sound from the DVD does not come through the TV, and sometimes we like to watch a movie in bed after the kids go to sleep and the sound it takes to hear it in our bedroom from the ceiling in the living area is too loud for them. We have another trip in August and we'd like to find a fix for this. The Jensen TV plays adequately but is not high-quallity when watching television channels.

The remote control for the Touch Audio got corroded with the previous owners and isn't working. Should we try to find a replacement, and where? We thought that might solve our sound issue, but after viewing other posts, it seems like a system design issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

danemayer

Hi Mariannaw, Welcome to the Heartland Family and to the Owners Forum. I'm sure you'll find quite a bit of useful information here along with help from other owners.

I'm not familiar with the North Trail layout, but as a generic answer, if the TV and DVD player are in the same room, I think you want to connect the audio out of the surround sound to the audio in of the TV (assuming the units have the appropriate outputs and inputs). In our 5th wheel, I did this by adding a stereo cable with RCA Phono Connectors. Of course, if the TV and player are in different rooms, running a cable is a bit of a problem.

I'm sure another North Trail owner will chime in shortly to help.

pegmikef

We took our 2011 North Trail 28BRS out this past week for our first trip. After viewing the forum topics, it may be an issue we can't solve with existing equipment. How can we watch a DVD movie in bed with the Touch Audio without the sound from the Touch Audio? Sound from the DVD does not come through the TV, and sometimes we like to watch a movie in bed after the kids go to sleep and the sound it takes to hear it in our bedroom from the ceiling in the living area is too loud for them. We have another trip in August and we'd like to find a fix for this. The Jensen TV plays adequately but is not high-quallity when watching television channels.

You are correct! There are no audio out ports on the poorly designed touch audio so you can only pipe the dvd audio to the trailer speakers through the touch audio unit. The touch audio audio cables that the factory/dealer erroneously connects to the TV's audio in ports are actually audio in cables for the touch audio unit so you can pipe the tv audio to the trailer speakers. I have a severe space limitation or else I would replace the touch audio unit with something with a design that makes sense.

danemayer

Looking at the Touch manual posted in the TOOLS section of the forum, it shows an HDMI connector. HDMI carries high quality video and audio, and most TVs built in recent years have HDMI connectors. So if the devices aren't too far apart, an HDMI cable may solve the problem. Any store that sells TVs will have HDMI cables as well.

pegmikef

Darn Dan, now I am going to have to open my slider and pull the unit out and see if I really have the HDMI output. I had it out before and didn't see it (or maybe ignored it because I didn't have any idea what HDMI was until last year when I hooked up my Tailgater). Thanks, Mike

RanCarr

We have a slightly different problem with the TV sound. When the AC is running, we can't hear the TV on it's loudest setting. We don't watch TV in bed... we'd both be asleep in 5 minutes. :eek:

pegmikef

We pipe the tv sound through the trailer speakers as there are two right above the easy chairs. It works pretty good when the ac is on. You just have to connect cables from the audio out on your tv to the audio in on your unit (if there are audio cables coming from the unit then they are probably already hooked up to the audio in ports). No audio out ports on the TV, then use the earphone output by getting a stereo miniplug to RCA Plugs converter (Walmart or RadioShack).

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

The remote control for the Touch Audio got corroded with the previous owners and isn't working. Should we try to find a replacement, and where? We thought that might solve our sound issue, but after viewing other posts, it seems like a system design issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

A cheap fix would be to purchase a small DVD player from Walmart or Target for around $50 and hook it directly to the Bedroom TV with the red, white and yellow composite cables.