Water Heater Help- Troubleshooting the Electric side of my Suburban WS12DE Water Heater

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
My water heater is not working on the electric side. Gas side works fine. How do I troubleshoot it? I have a multimeter but I am not the greatest at reading a wiring schematic. So If anyone has had to do this, please list the steps that I need to take.

The water heater is less than 2 years old, so I believe it is in warranty but since I live in my coach, it would be better to not have to take it to the shop.

Michael

danemayer

Start with the switch in the control panel - the one that looks like a residential light switch. It should light up when turned on. If not, you either have a tripped breaker or a loose wire/defective switch.

If it does light up, go to the outside of the water heater and remove the access panel. There's a small black rocker switch, probably in the lower left corner. That has to be ON for the electric side to work.

If that's on, look for the reset buttons (covered by black rubber boots). Press them in.

If still not working, it's probably the heating element, but I don't have any further info on diagnosing it more definitively.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks Dan, I have checked those things. I was really looking for more of how the power flows through so I can check the various swishes and stuff. I just don't know the sequence for it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Just last week I had to replace the High End switch on our Suburban Hot water heater. Part was about $40 and very easy to replace. If you are getting 10 plus Ohms of resistance across the heating element then the element is good. Next chek the contacts on the High End switch, this is the one on the left as you are looking at the two limiter switches. Right one is for low voltage gas. Check between all contacts on the high limit for voltage flow.

jnbhobe

Look for 110V at the curcuit breaker then at the red switch, from there go to the tank, I think the power comes in the rear of the tank and goes to the on - off switch on the tank and to the high limit then to the element.