Picking up my New Trailer

jsdeano

Hello Folks,

I am new to this site and new to having a new RV. As far as NEW goes it may be the only thing I have ever purchased new! Now that I have gotten the newness out of my system I have a question.

When I go to the Dealership to pick this unit up what should I be testing and looking for as far as things that could have been missed at the factory?

And any other tips or tricks I should know about that would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jeff

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Jsdeano and welcome to the forum. There is a lot of good information here and I am sure you will get a ton of suggestions for your pickup.
You didn't state what rig you bought. I sure hope it is a Heartland product.
When the dealer is giving you the grand tour he will be pointing out a lot of stuff. Your head will be spinning. Take notes, maybe a video recorder would be helpful and if you don't understand something, don't be afraid to ask him to explain.
You will want to have a demonstration of all the appliances, water heater, AC and furnace, fold out bed and anything else you see that is not clear to you.
There are things that need to be secured when towing. Ask about strapping down chairs and pocket doors.
Be sure to tell him ahead of time that you want a demo of the water system so he can have some water in the tank for a pump demo. Look for leaks. They are pretty common on drain lines and water pumps.
There is no substitute for experience. You will forget most things he tells you but the more you use it the more you will learn on your own.
Be sure the tires are inflated to the max listed on the sidewall of the tire. Proper tire inflation is important.
Be sure that he has re-torqued the lug nuts after delivery.
Have him show you the proper method of hitching up.
Good luck and come on back to tell us how it went.
I almost forgot. don't forget to check the Portal Page for Heartland Owner Events happening down in TX.

Peace
Dave

GoinNorth

Take all the time you need for your inspection! Like Cookie stated, TEST EVERYTHING! I wish I would have ran all my faucets at the PDI, then I would have discovered the leak from the outside shower! LOL no biggie. My tech was very helpful and patient w/ me and explained all the systems without rushing.
Congrats w/ your purchase, and good luck on that 1st shakedown trip!

jsdeano

Thank you for the Advise. I ordered the 415 Road Warrior. It sounds like no matter what I do check out any and all things to do with water. I really do appreciate yall"s advice. I have been hauling a old 33 foot toy hauler for quite a few years now and also drove Semi tractor trailers over the road for a few years. But I have never pulled a 43 foot furnished house with a little 3500 pick-up truck before. Thanks again!