Level up system raises wheels off the ground when level.

BigJon

New to the MY13 Cyclone 3800. Love the leveling system but when it finds level the wheels are all off the ground. Literature says to not do that. Anybody have that happen? Will the reset zero process take care of that? Seems like the the linear potentiometers in each jack have the wrong set point. I'm storing (when not on the road) with the landing gear controlled by front DPDT switch about level so the slides still work. Comments?

danemayer

Hi BigJon,

Welcome to the family of Heartland owners and to the Heartland Owners Forum. You'll find a lot of great people and lots of useful information here.

We have the 4 point auto-leveling on our Landmark and find that if the site is significantly off-level, the rear jacks will sometimes have to extend so far that the wheels are lifted. I've also had left-to-right lifting of one side.

If your wheels get lifted on level sites, you may have something out of adjustment, or that needs calibration.
A good place to start is to check that the rig is actually level after it finishes auto-leveling. If not, it definitely needs the zero-calibration.

porthole

Retired
All the wheels are off the ground - both sides? How much so?
All the wheels is not correct, one side very likely though.

Have you tried the auto level on level ground, just to give yourself a base point?

The jacks are hydraulic, no linear pots. Level is controlled by the computer actuating the correct sequence of jacks.

If yours is acting that erratic the instructions should include a factory reset sequence.

vakthund

We have a 13 3800 also and when parked at a not so level site the wheels on one side were completely off the ground by two inches. I would say that if all six tires re off the ground something is strange. The system can get "out of level" and there is a process for correcting this but that should not cause the trailed to be lifted to high. There is come conflicting information about lifting the camper, the brochure mentions it can be used to change tires but the manual say to not lift the tires off the ground. When we picked up the camper we "accidentally" hit the auto retract and had the entire camper sitting on the middle jacks with no creaking or bending. If two jack scan hold the entire weight of the camper I'm fine with all six holding it.

KiwiRVer

Jon, we have the six point system which I presume you have also. Generally the wheels are only lifted off the ground if the front end starts high or if there is a significant backwards slope (i.e. sloping toward the back of the rig). It doesn't matter if the rig is off the ground, each leg is designed to hold over 10,000lbs but it will shake more if the wheels are off the ground.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Just a thought, I recall reading that before you hit 'Auto Level', the front of the RV should be lower than the rest of it.
Do you start leveling with the front end low?
Don't know if that would make a difference, but maybe.

Peace
Dave

KiwiRVer

Cookie, no we hit auto level as soon as we have unhitched. This means when you go to re-hitch it will auto=return to the hitch position. I might consider lowering the front only if the site was sloping to the rear significantly so that we did not run out of cylinder length.

danemayer

My 4 point auto-leveler starts by retracting the front jacks a bit, presumably to get them below level. If it didn't do that, I think I'd have rear wheels off the ground a lot.