Bighorn Silverado

Does anybody have one yet and if so what are your thoughts about it? i am currently looking at the 36TB bunkhouse unit. any info good or bad would be appreciated. thanks

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
To get this product line into a specific price point, they have taken away many of the features that make the Big Horn stand out from its competitors. if the floorplan and features suit you, it's not a bad product. However, if your expectation is "BigHorn Quality" it cannot live up to that, entirely.

Heartland stands behind their products, so you won't be a disappointed owner in that respect.

i understand that it is not a full bighorn but compared to other units such as the mountaineer or the keystone avalanche i just wondered how it stacked up they are the other 2 units i have been considering. the mountaineer 346 or the avalanche 341 both are 4 slide bunks. thanks

JJOren

If you are comparing units within a like price range, my experience has been that Heartland will be superior quality. I KNOW that Heartland will put the others to shame in customer service. So, in that regard, the Silverado is nothing but a WIN WIN for you!

Good Luck!!

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
This post made me smile a little, the forsman looking at a Silverado. Heeheeeheeee

All kidding aside, this isn't the first time I have heard others knock the Silverado byBighorn. I am a bit disappointed to hear this and I hope Heartland takes another look at this particular model. I hav enot seen one in person and would prefer to make my own opinion so take this with a grain of salt. My advise would be for you to consider an Elkridge or Sundance. Probably much better uniits than the Silverado and possibly a better price range. Heartland is known for their best value for the dollar so I hope you find what you are looking for. Regardless of what you decide I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of your unit.

pegmikef

We looked at one in Boerne, TX a few months ago and were unimpressed. I had been told that they were supposed to be a lot lighter, but the pin weights and other weights are not significantly different than the big horns and big countries. You certainly get what you pay for and these are definitely a less expensive rig (i.e., electric vs hydraulic landing gear, single battery box) . . . anyway we decided if and when we move up to a fiver it will be one of the smaller big horns or big countries.

jbeletti

I contacted the factory on this and was told that the Silverado by Bighorn continues to sell well. Silverado is different than the standard Bighorn and in that sense, it's hard to compare the two. Think Oranges and Tangerines. Similar in some respects, yet different in others.

Dancol

To fordman259. We have a 36tb on order and have about 2 weeks to go till it arrives. I'll let ya know how it turns out. We did change a few things about it. We were most impressed with this model. We have looked around for several months and were set on a bunkhouse model for the kids. Of all the brands and floor plans we looked at this one had everything we wanted. Outside kitchen, second half bath, slideout kitchen, oversized fridge and slideout bunk area just to mention a few. We eliminated the fireplace and chose the table and chairs over the table and benches to avoid the climbing over them by the kids. Don't agree with the impression of " cheap " construction at all. While it does lack a few frills that the bighorns have they are not construction issues. A few of the higher end 5s that we looked at seemed overdone and gawdy. That is why we like this one. Outside of that heartlands rep put it over the top, hopefully this holds true. Can't wait to get it. Good luck in your search.

rvdawg

We picked up our 36tb a month ago and have camped in it twice. We looked for nearly a year before finding this floor plan and and marquis edition interior. We fell in love as soon as we saw it in person. I feel that this unit offers great value and has as good or better quality than some higher priced units we looked at. Certainly it is cheaper ($$) than a bighorn, so some features had to be eliminated to achieve that price point. In my opinion it is one of the best bunkhouse floor plans out there under 40' and once again in my opinion has the best looking interior.

As far as quality goes.....the only issue I have had is my cable coax connections are not currently working. I have checked for loose connections everywhere and cannot find the problem so we will stopping off at the dealer in a couple of weeks to have that fixed. There are a few other minor adjustments that I have made along the way, but that is to be expected with any camper. Nothing more or less than my experience in my previous unit. If you have any other specific questions I would be happy to answer them as best I can.

ltheis

We looked for months and months for our first fifth wheel and finally settled on our Silverado 36TB two weeks ago. I have nothing but good things to say about it at this point and it was definitely the best bang for the buck with the floorplan thah suited our familys needs when compared to Keystone,Jayco and others. I personally felt like it was not quite on par with the Bighorn and that the Bighorn name should be dropped as to not confuse the two since it really is comparing oranges and tangerines. The bottom line is that no matter what anybody tells you or trys to sell you, they are all made as cheap as possible in order to maximize profits. With that said buy a floorplan that fits your needs from someone who has a record of good customer service, we were convinced that Heartland was the way to go based on their customer service and hopefully they will live up to their reputation.

danemayer

We looked for months and months for our first fifth wheel and finally settled on our Silverado 36TB two weeks ago.

Hi Itheis,

Congratulations on your decision and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. You've probably already noticed that there's a lot of useful information here, along with a great bunch of people willing to share what they know.

Welcome.

Terry_54

My wife and I searched dealers from Texas to Michigan andfound three floor plans that met our requirements. They were in the Silverado, Avalanche andSilverback. The quality of the Avalanche was lower and the price of theSilverback eliminated it. We tookdelivery of our 37QB June 29[SUP]th[/SUP]. The unit is on our seasonal site in northern Michigan. My kids and grandkids enjoy it. My wife lovesit and has hardly been home since it was delivered. The one alteration we made day one was toremove one of the bunks and move the coach to that spot. The coach was replaced with two chairs andthis gives us sleeping room for two adults in the bunkroom. I agree with the previous post, comparing the Silveradoto other Bighorns is not an apples to apples comparison. It’s what the owner is looking for in floorplan and uses. No one sleeps in our living space as we found in all the non-Silverado Big Horn units. We areextremely satisfied with our selection.

jimtoo

Hi Terry-54,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

It's great to hear about changes people make to their units to make it work better for them. It also may help others that are looking for a little change to make their unit a little better for them.

Please check out the Heartland Owners Club and join us at some of the rallies where you will meet other owners and have a great time.

Jim M

TravelTiger

Terry-54, that's a great mod! Take a picture of it, I bet others would like to see that. Heartland should think about offering this as an option for this floorplan!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
"I personally felt like it was not quite on par with the Bighorn and that the Bighorn name should be dropped as to not confuse the two since it really is comparing oranges and tangerines"....

Very good point and something Heartland might definitely want to consider!! Why not call it simply "Silverado", by Heartland???

TravelTiger

Ah, but that's what marketing does... Confuse the buyer! Have you ever looked at AA-batteries? Duracell must have 10 different sub-brands of the same AA-battery. Took me 10 minutes to figure out which one was the "best". Ultimate! Extra! SuperDuty! Advanced! AdvancedPlus! Highest Capacity! Longest Lasting! Without diligent research, you think you're buying one thing, and getting another.

Westwind

I think Heartland did make a marketing error with the Silverado, it should be in a lesser priced line of Heartland FW's. We folks a looking at a Bighorn line and see a product that doesn't represent what they have learned to expect then you have a preception problem. It appears that they have one here and it should be corrected so that the Bighorn brand name doesn't suffer from those incorrect preceptions.

TravelTiger

It may be an attempt to gain market share. They can claim larger sales numbers for "BigHorn", when it's really two different trailers. Look at all the versions of Montana out there(Big Sky, High Country, Mountaineer, etc), I'm sure it's the same concept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk