POSTED ON HOM - Coax Wiring Diagrams for 2008-2013.5 LM, BH, BC and Silverado

jbeletti

I have placed Coax Wiring diagrams for model years 2008-2013.5 Landmark, Bighorn, Big Country and Silverado on Heartland Owners Manuals (HOM). They can be found on the navigation bar at the top of any forum screen by clicking on Tools - HOM (Heartland Owners Manuals). From there, click on Electronics, then Coax Layouts, then All Brands.

I've used a file naming convention that corresponds to the relevant model year and brand the file is for.

As of today (3-Jul-2012), there are older files in the Coax Layouts directory. Over time, I will go through these files, determine what model years they are relevant to and rename them so we are consistent in this directory.

Over an even longer time, I will try to obtain coax layouts for other brands not listed.

frumbawa

Hi Jim,

Any chance you can put the wiring diagram for a 2012 Cyclone 3612 at the top of your list? I got cable and satellite to the living room figured out but everywhere else is still a mystery. I asked the dealer last time I was in for service and they said it was wired as designed yet they could not provide the design.

Thanks in advance.

Frank

porthole

Retired
So Jimbo - if you have access to the Cyclone 3010 that would be real nice.
After watching snowy TV for the past week I am committed to running all new COAX and possibly changing the antenna to the Jack while I am at it.

danemayer

So Jimbo - if you have access to the Cyclone 3010 that would be real nice.
After watching snowy TV for the past week I am committed to running all new COAX and possibly changing the antenna to the Jack while I am at it.
While waiting for a diagram, consider that the likely arrangement is that the coax from the antenna and from the outside cable TV connector typically come together at the signal booster (where you press the button to switch between cable and antenna). That's the first stop. There may also be a connector where the antenna coax comes through the roof. It's usually tucked in above the antenna crank. You may need to push the coax down from the roof an inch or two to be able to fish the connector out after taking the crank handle off on the inside.

Then there are connectors at the living room, bedroom, basement, garage, or wherever yours may terminate. There may be splitters behind some of those locations (other than where the booster is located). For example, in Landmarks, the booster is in the bedroom and then goes to a splitter in the basement where one output goes to the basement coax connector and the other output goes to the living room connector. If you go to one of the locations downstream from the signal booster, take off the faceplate, and pull the coax, you can probably locate any splitters.

If you replace the connectors on the roof, inside the roof, at the signal booster, at any splitters, and at each of the termination connectors, you'll have covered the majority of the potential trouble spots. There could be a junction somewhere under a slide, but that may not show up on the diagrams anyway.

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
The Coax connections in the UDC on the 2014 Big Horn 3585 is not the same as the diagrams for the 2008-2013. Still haven't got satellite signal in BR. And why is the TV location above the Chest in BR and the Sat. connection in the closet. Don't make any sense.

danemayer

The Coax connections in the UDC on the 2014 Big Horn 3585 is not the same as the diagrams for the 2008-2013. Still haven't got satellite signal in BR. And why is the TV location above the Chest in BR and the Sat. connection in the closet. Don't make any sense.

How do your UDC connectors differ? Can you post a picture of your UDC connectors and also the bedroom connectors.

bsummit

The diagram on the site says the sat connections for the BR and LR is the 1st and 4th connections in the UDC. The LR is the second from right. Got to find out which one is the BR. Above the BR tv is one coax connection and it is the ant. and cable. Still can't understand why the sat connection is in the closet. Talked to another member last night and he routed a new coax from the sat connection in the closet to a location near the TV in BR.
The connectors in the UDC are 4 of them at the top of the back wall of the UDC. The cable connection is seperate.
How do your UDC connectors differ? Can you post a picture of your UDC connectors and also the bedroom connectors.

danemayer

The diagram on the site says the sat connections for the BR and LR is the 1st and 4th connections in the UDC. The LR is the second from right. Got to find out which one is the BR. Above the BR tv is one coax connection and it is the ant. and cable. Still can't understand why the sat connection is in the closet. Talked to another member last night and he routed a new coax from the sat connection in the closet to a location near the TV in BR.
The connectors in the UDC are 4 of them at the top of the back wall of the UDC. The cable connection is seperate.

The diagrams can be a little hard to read, but most, if not all, show the rooftop pre-wiring coming in on the right-hand of each pair. The left-hand of each pair normally goes to the destination. But sometimes on the backside of the panel, wires are screwed into the wrong place, so yours might be off.

In the bedroom closet, there should be a coax connector for cable/antenna, and another for satellite. And a third that goes to the connector by the TV. There should be a jumper in the closet that's connected from the cable/antenna connector to that third coax connector, so that you can watch cable or antenna TV. If using satellite, you'd connect the satellite coax connector to the receiver, and the output of the receiver would go to that third coax connector to feed to the TV. If you want to switch between satellite and antenna, you might be able to combine the 2 signals into a Diplexer (similar to a splitter) before they go to the third connector.

Hope this all makes sense.

The satellite receiver may be a better fit in the closet than by the TV, depending on your furniture. Works better if you have a remote that supports RF rather than Infrared.

pegmikef

Dan, The ones in my 2014 are swapped in the UDC . . . third from the left is the sattelite input for the living room. I don't think it is miswired because the tech walked me through each of the connectors during the PDI. The diagram shows the third from the left as BR. . . . anyway it works fine so that is the main thing.

bsummit

Ok, I did find which one of the satellite connectors in the UDC go to the BR and LR. Looking inside the UDC, the first connector on the left is the Bedroom, (jack in the closet) and the 3rd one from the left is for the LR. I did discover that I had a bad coax connector going to the dish. I replaced the coax and now I'm good to go. Thanks Dan and Mike for the input.
I'm going to route a new coax from the jack in the closet over to the location where the TV is.

bsummit

Satellite connection in 3585 bedroom

Why is the satellite connection in the closet and not near where the TV is located. The connection in the ceiling above the TV is only for air and cable. It don't make sense to me. I know of one other member who had to route a new coax from the sat jack in closet to a location near the TV. I guess that is what I will do also.
Would someone from the factory please comment on this. The coax routing could be updated and made more simple than it is. This has been a problem for some time. The 2008 3670 that I had was the same way. I had to run another coax to the BR so I could get sat signal.:confused::confused:

jbeletti

Re: Satellite connection in 3585 bedroom

Why is the satellite connection in the closet and not near where the TV is located. The connection in the ceiling above the TV is only for air and cable. It don't make sense to me. I know of one other member who had to route a new coax from the sat jack in closet to a location near the TV. I guess that is what I will do also.
Would someone from the factory please comment on this. The coax routing could be updated and made more simple than it is. This has been a problem for some time. The 2008 3670 that I had was the same way. I had to run another coax to the BR so I could get sat signal.:confused::confused:

I can't answer for Engineering as to why the coax is laid out as it is, but I can say that often times, there is no room at the bedroom TV area to hold one's satellite receiver. True that with the newer systems, the receivers can be really small (Genie/Hopper clients for example) - but there's a lot of legacy gear out there.

Then there's the Winegard prewire that is done in some brands (Landmark/Bighorn). That wire has to go some where and the Winegard controller and twice the height of the mini-receivers.

I think a better plan may be for the plant to run 2 coaxes from the bedroom closet where the satellite is prewired to, to the bedroom TV. That way you'd have both OTA and Satellite feeds at the TV.

I change coaches every year or two and I actually have an HDMI cable run from the bedroom closet to the bedroom TV as I always want to interface at HDMI vs. RF whenever possible.

With an eye on "current selling" receivers, would one feel it would be best to lobby Heartland to add an HDMI cable instead of a second coax to that bedroom TV?

danemayer

With an eye on "current selling" receivers, would one feel it would be best to lobby Heartland to add an HDMI cable instead of a second coax to that bedroom TV?

Jim,

I think HDMI would be a better choice for the 2nd wire between closet and TV. The few people with legacy receivers that don't have HDMI would be unable to use the HDMI, but could still use the coax line as designed today. You could alternatively use the HDMI for DVD or BlueRay.

jbeletti

Jim,

I think HDMI would be a better choice for the 2nd wire between closet and TV. The few people with legacy receivers that don't have HDMI would be unable to use the HDMI, but could still use the coax line as designed today. You could alternatively use the HDMI for DVD or BlueRay.

I agree with you Dan. I just fired off a 2015 Model Year request to add an HDMI cable from the satellite bedroom prewire to the bedroom RV. This in addition to the existing coax that would continue to be used for OTA reception. We shall see.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Not sure what issue may be here but in my 2014 / 2013 build BC I have one output at the tv but in the closet I have basically a jumper situation that if I want to watch OTA or cable the coax is connected in one place and if I want sat, which is usually the case, the coax goes on the other input. No issues watching either other than having to switch btw the two. I place me dtv receiver on the dresser and it is connected to coax above tv and receiver is connected to tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsummit

Thanks Jim for responding. It would be helpful for the extra coax to be run to the tv location. It would solve problems for quite a few people. I just don't understand why it hasn't been done before now. I am still going to run my own extra coax from the closet to the tv.

bsummit

I ran a new coax for satellite to the bedroom TV by tapping into the satellite jack behind the wall in the closet and run it across the floor of the closet to the washer/dryer and thru the plumbing and drain pipe to the chest below the TV and mounted a coax plate next to the outlet on the side of the chest. Works great. I'm thru with this project.