Storing portable waste wagon

phix

If this is answered somewhere else, please let me know. My searches find nothing.............

We have a rather large honey wagon; it's about 42 gallons. We empty gray water only. The good thing is that it only takes 2 trips to completely dump the gray tanks. The bad thing is that it takes a lot of space in the cargo. Also, it really must go on the bottom so we have to unpack a lot of the cargo to get to it and then it is a hassle to pack back up.

My husband is trying to figure out a way to store and carry it under the camper when empty. Has anyone else come up with ways to store these things other than the basement? Would love to hear your ideas and solutions.:confused:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Pam, there sure isn't much room under the rig for that big of a tank. Clearance can be important at times and I'm guessing your 42 gallon tank is at least 10 inches thick. I've seen them Blue Boys hanging on ladders before. Another option would be right inside the door of the rig. It would be the first thing out and stored under the trailer. Is the back of the truck available?

SmokeyBare

One place to consider is between the front landing legs. You can use slotted angle sold in most Home Building Centers attaching it to the floor of the front basement storage compartment. Several methods might be used to keep it secure... bungee's or ratchet straps... I'd feel more comfortable with some support under the tank & then Straps to secure it. There should be plenty of ground clearance in this location.

GOTTOYS

I have a 22 gal. stored in the front compartment standing on end and tied up in place. It fits really well and isn't in the way. Seldom gets used and it's for gray water only as well. Perhaps you could get by with a smaller model?...Don

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I will watch this topic with interest, as we carry our 27 gal in the bed of our truck.
I haven't figured out a better setup, yet. Trace

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
One place to consider is between the front landing legs. You can use slotted angle sold in most Home Building Centers attaching it to the floor of the front basement storage compartment. Several methods might be used to keep it secure... bungee's or ratchet straps... I'd feel more comfortable with some support under the tank & then Straps to secure it. There should be plenty of ground clearance in this location.
Marv, them new Bighorns have the drop front frame. Not at all as much clearance as our straight framed Classics.:cool:

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I keep my 32 gal Barker tank on the truck bed between the hitch and tailgate.......no problem with clearance.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
With the drop frame of a BH, some kind of cradle behind the drop section and in front of the steps might be feasible. Even in front or behind the axles.

In the photo, you can see how far my rear Ground Control jack extends in the retracted position and doesn't make contact. Forward of the axle, the sewer connection shows how much clearance is available.

Best thing to do is measure the height of the tote and allow for the suspension to carry it and see if it will work. Worst case is to hang it on the ladder and play the theme song to "The Beverly Hillbillies" as you go down the road :D

View attachment 20181View attachment 20182

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We carry ours in the bed of the truck between the hitch and the bed. Secure it with bungee cords. Never have had any issues with anyone wanting to steal it I mean who would want to take someones 'crap holder'? :)

phix

With the drop frame of a BH, some kind of cradle behind the drop section and in front of the steps might be feasible. Even in front or behind the axles.

In the photo, you can see how far my rear Ground Control jack extends in the retracted position and doesn't make contact. Forward of the axle, the sewer connection shows how much clearance is available.

Best thing to do is measure the height of the tote and allow for the suspension to carry it and see if it will work. Worst case is to hang it on the ladder and play the theme song to "The Beverly Hillbillies" as you go down the road :D

View attachment 20181View attachment 20182
That's what DH was thinking too. Thanks for the illustrations. I wonder if anyone has rigged anything up that we could learn from their experience?

phix

I keep my 32 gal Barker tank on the truck bed between the hitch and tailgate.......no problem with clearance.

Hmmm. I'll have to look and see if it would fit there. However, we have to store our 5er at a storage lot. So we would have to remember to keep it at home and bring it with us when camping. Then move it while we hitch.

phix

We carry ours in the bed of the truck between the hitch and the bed. Secure it with bungee cords. Never have had any issues with anyone wanting to steal it I mean who would want to take someones 'crap holder'? :)

True, but if you've ever had a garage sale............... You just wouldn't believe what stuff you have that others want. However, once we are at the campsite, we just leave it out under the camper. We will look at the hitch/bed as a place to store while on the road. Thanks.

phix

I have a 22 gal. stored in the front compartment standing on end and tied up in place. It fits really well and isn't in the way. Seldom gets used and it's for gray water only as well. Perhaps you could get by with a smaller model?...Don

That compartment is DH's mancave area. Can't touch it. He sits under the overhang safe from the elements and fiddles with his stuff stored there.:)

We need the big tank because we have a washer and I prefer to use our washer instead of going to the coin operated ones. My washer is always available. Grey water fills fast with a washer and DH doesn't mind dumping the tank. Thanks for the idea though.

phix

Thanks. I'll pass this along to DH.

phix

Pam, there sure isn't much room under the rig for that big of a tank. Clearance can be important at times and I'm guessing your 42 gallon tank is at least 10 inches thick. I've seen them Blue Boys hanging on ladders before. Another option would be right inside the door of the rig. It would be the first thing out and stored under the trailer. Is the back of the truck available?

You bet. Over 10 inches for sure. But we DO need to actualy measure it so we can deal with facts instead of just eyeballing it!