2013 Landmark Key Largo for Full Timing

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
We plan to use South Dakota for our home base, and are going to use Alternative Resources out of Sioux Falls, SD. I have read numerous recommendations for them on various forums and blogs.

Jessica, is there some specific reason you chose to us this Mail Company? I'm also looking into using SD as an address and this place seems a lot higher than most.

jjriker

Jessica, is there some specific reason you chose to us this Mail Company? I'm also looking into using SD as an address and this place seems a lot higher than most.

http://rv-dreams.activeboard.com/t31722608/sd-mail-forwarding/

I read a lot of comments recommending them like the ones on the thread link that I've included. When I compared them to "My Dakota Address" which is another one that I've heard mentioned a lot, the prices seemed comparable. Alternative Resources seems to cost a little more, but I like the fact that they are an established company that have been around a while and have a good reputation.

ardonahoe

We are concerned about our dogs in event of a power outage, etc. We've been looking into temperature monitoring systems that will dial a cell phone in event the temperature in the coach gets too high or cold. Anyone use anything like this?

Also, what are you using in sub-freezing temps for your water supply? I've seen a few heated hoses on the market.

Thanks!

danemayer

what are you using in sub-freezing temps for your water supply?
For occasional sub-freezing temps, you might just put water into the fresh tank and use it for a couple of days, putting the hose away after you're done.

If the weather is likely to be cold for a while, you may want a heated water hose. I've had 2 Pirit hoses but don't recommend them. Both failed with only a few weeks usage. After that I wrapped heating tape and insulation around the failed hose and that's been reliable. Heat tape and insulation are also less expensive than a Pirit hose.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
We are home based in Montgomery AL and this year we did not need anything extra. Just fill fresh water tank and disconnect the hose from the park valve.

Sent from my Kindle Fire

ardonahoe

This is the link to the heated hose I was looking at: http://www.nofreezewaterhose.com/

On rv.net, someone suggested getting a Carefree of Colorado screen for the rear living window. They mention the morning and afternoon sun can be pretty brutal with the large picture window. Thoughts?

danemayer

This is the link to the heated hose I was looking at: http://www.nofreezewaterhose.com/
That's a pretty expensive hose. Building your own with heat tape would take perhaps an hour and cost a small fraction of what they're asking.

Whatever hose you end up with, keep in mind that the thermostat has to be exposed to the outside air. That's why they offer 2 styles. If you have the thermostat inside the UDC, it'll react to the warmer air in the UDC and will let the hose freeze.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hi Campers,

My husband and I will be moving out of our house this fall. We aren't your typical demographic of full timers. We are mid 30's with two dogs and no kids. We are just tired of our house, love the ability to travel with our dogs, and the camping lifestyle. We will maintain our day jobs and live in a local rv park in town; we will travel on the weekends and for vacations (i.e. bike week in Daytona, Thunder Beach, etc). We've ruled out a toy hauler due to lack of living space . My husband will tow the fiver and I will tow the bikes in my vehicle with a bike trailer for long bike trips.

We've kind of ruled out a Class A due to the fact there are more things that can go wrong. I.e., anytime we need service, etc, we will need to rent a dog friendly hotel room while service is completed. With a fifth wheel there are greater options for mobile service, etc. Therefore, we wouldn't be displaced from home as often as a Class A in our minds.

We are looking at the Heartland Landmark Key Largo. We have some concerns, as our current travel trailer, which is for recreational use only (2012 Keystone Outback 279RB) has been a hunk of junk from the get go. We notice a lot of the same fit and finish in our Outback as the Heartland Landmark (appliances, plumbing,etc). Our Keystone Outback has been plagued by appliance issues, broken awning motors, plumbing issues, and leaks; it just turned a year old this weekend. We would never own another Keystone product.

Our goal would be to keep the Landmark for about 5 years before trading up to something newer. Internet blogs/research about full timing in the Landmark have just been limited to the Heartland owners forum (which all champion the unit). We would appreciate some more objective feedback versus the pro-Heartland owners forum. We've also been considering a DRV Mobile Suites, but they are so heavy, it would require us to buy a new truck. On the Class A list are the Winnebago/Itasca Tour/Ellipse; or a Newmar Dutch Star. Our interest has also been peaked by the Jay Flight Seneca super C.

Thanks everyone! As rookies, we appreciate it!

We fit in same demographic as you do, two doxies and no kids, both with good jobs for awhile longer. Only difference is we are about to submit an order for a Bighorn 3585 instead of a Landmark. We might upgrade to one in future but we are currently living in our 28 foot tt and don't need something as nice as a landmar, yet...lol.