ATF: Big Country - Front Air Conditioner

On recommendation that I buy a low-profile air conditioner for the bedroom of my 2950RK, I purchased a Dometic Penguin II (13,500 Btu). However, the roof line of the 2950RK arcs in such a way the when the front of the air conditioner is pulled down to make a seal with the roof, the back end of the air conditioner cantilevers upward such that the rear resting pads of the air conditioner are several inches above the roof. This defeats the low profile objective. Does Heartland have a recommendation for how to make the seal around the opening without raising the back end of the unit?
Thank you in advance.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not exactly sure what you have going on there, but have you tried tightening the bolt equally a little at a time?
As the rear bolts get snug the AC should not rise when the front bolts are snugged.
I don't know if this will help, but it's worth a shot.

Peace
Dave

I'm not exactly sure what you have going on there, but have you tried tightening the bolt equally a little at a time?
As the rear bolts get snug the AC should not rise when the front bolts are snugged.
I don't know if this will help, but it's worth a shot.

Peace
Dave

As the Penguin sits on the roof before inserting any bolts, there is no gap at the edge of the opening toward the rear of the 5th wheel. However, at the edge toward the front of the 5th wheel, there is a gap of at least 3/4". Thus, you have to lift the rear of the air conditioner to bring the font part down to where it can seal to the roof. Since much of the Penguin II extends back behind the opening, when you lift the rear, it catilevers up so that the resting pads are at least 2-3" above the roof. There is nothing wrong with the structure of the roof. It is sound. That's just the way it is. Tightening the bolts eqally a little at a time won't overcome the angle. I was hoping maybe Heartland had encounterred this before and had developed an insert between the roof and the air conditioner that would fill the gap toward the front of the opening.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Bruce, are you saying when you snug it down in the front, it is parallel with the roof line? Or, are you saying it ends up on a more severe tilt forward?

I have the basically the same front A/C and the same roof line on my BH and mine follows the angle of my roof. (Parallel to the roof.)

I have seen some rigs where the vent opening is on the slope down in the front and the A/C ends up following that slope downward. My vent is at the beginning of the more flat part of the roof, right behind the slope, so consequently my A/C sits almost level. In any case, IMHO, it should follow the same angle as the roof area where it is being installed. Whatever the angle.

My overall height to the highest point on the front A/C is 13' 2". That is also the highest point on the rig. Hope any of this helps. Trace

Hi Trace. Thanks for responding. My BC is in the shop, awaiting Monday to determine what to do next. So I have to go from memory, not walk out and look. That said, I think my opening is in the slope toward the front, just forward of the flat portion of the roof. Since tightening down the bolts will raise the back of the A/C several inches off the roof, it not only defeats the low-profile objective, but it leaves a lot of the air conditioner suspended in the air above the roof. I am concerned not only for defeating the low-profile objective, but that having so much of the A/C unit suspended in the air above the roof will put undue stress on the bolts that hold it in place.

TandT

Bruce,

Somthing is not right. The A/C should not be suspended in the air. It should be snugged down equally all the way around, to the vent opening.

Is the shop doing the work, or were you installing it?

Some pictures, if possible of you situation might help solve this.

OR, you can call Dometic customer service, explain what you are up against and see if they have a solution. 800-544-4881.

Either way, please let us know what is going on. Trace

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Since Dometic makes it and sells it to the RV industry in general, you might have better luck finding a filler insert by contacting them. Your's can't be the first trailer in history to encounter this.

Hi all, I appreciate the help. I bought the A/C on sale at Camping World (about 300 miles away), but took it to the dealer where I bought the Heartland (about 20 miles away) to have it installed. I would have attempted to install it, myself, but I broke my back in a Segway accident over Memorial Day weekend. Dr.'s orders are "No lifting." Anyway, my local Heartland dealer is attempting to install it. It was supposed to be a quick, 1-hr. job, until they came across this issue. I could leave it up to them to resolve, but the shop guy doing the install suggested cutting some styrofoam for an insert. That might work for a week or two, but styrofoam will rot out in a very short time. Even the shop manager agreed with me that a rubber or plastic insert would be necessary.

TandT

Bruce,
Bottom line; Tomorrow, the shop needs to call Dometic tech support, before some butchering occurs. 800-544-4881 Trace

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have seen the second AC installed on some ElkRidge models that seem to have it at very steep tilted angle, so I assue it is OK to operate this way. Hope you find a resolution. I would call Heartland customer service with your VIN, maybe this is a known issue and they can offer you some suggestions.

Good luck!