Did it, Installed an additional window in my 181

bigmaho

On the drivers side rear, by the dinette. Cost me $75 for the window and $11 for a 1" rim. Grew a few more gray hairs cutting the hole, but all went well. I was afraid there might be some support structure behind the wall, but there wasn't. After I started cutting it took less than an hour. It's about an 1/8" off level, but that's as good as it gets with me. I'll attach some pictures as soon as I can get the attachment manager to work.

Attachments

• mpg window1.jpg
    mpg window1.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 384
  • mpg window4.jpg
    mpg window4.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 326

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Nice job.

Where did you purchase the window? It looks like it matches the factory windows well.

I would like to do this near the stove in my BH3670. There is only one window on the off door side of the rig. (other than in the bedroom slide). Trace

canakiwi

Way to go bigmaho. It looks great. I have a 2011 181 and it does not have the window above the dinette table that yours does. Only a tiny window on the door side, so it's like sitting in a black hole. Everyone I asked told me I could not put in a window above the dining table, the same as there is at the front of the 181, as there would be structural supports there. I push on that end wall and am sure there is nothing "structural" in there, it gives about half an inch or more. You have inspired me. I will search out a suitable wide fixed window and Go For It!!!.

So besides looking great your window is also Inspiring.

RollingHome

Trace, I too have a 2011 BH3670. Like you, I often comment to Patti how nice a window near the stove would be. Unlike you, I lack the courage to "CUT A HOLE IN THE WALL". Should you ever get adventurest and decide to take the plunge (pun intended), please, please, personal email me and show me what happened. At the same time, do not let this message pressure you into doing something you would no normally do. I'm just saying, if you can do it, maybe I can too...

bigmaho

btw, my 89 year old dad wanted to see Gettysburg, so I loaded up the 181 and took him last weekend. Stayed at Caledonia State Park about 15 miles from the National monument. My dad hasn't 'camped' since since the winter of 44/45 with the 85th Infantry Division in Italy so I wasn't sure how it would go, but he loved it. Thanks Heartland MPG!

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
btw, my 89 year old dad wanted to see Gettysburg, so I loaded up the 181 and took him last weekend. Stayed at Caledonia State Park about 15 miles from the National monument. My dad hasn't 'camped' since since the winter of 44/45 with the 85th Infantry Division in Italy so I wasn't sure how it would go, but he loved it. Thanks Heartland MPG!

This right here is the best part of this whole thread! How very awesome! So glad he enjoyed himself!

crennpage

Nine work bigmaho, I could sure use a window in the door to my 183 ... it's dark back there with the lights out. Thanks for the inspiration, I may give it a try myself ... good thing all my hairs are already gray! LOL

bigmaho

Way to go bigmaho. It looks great. I have a 2011 181 and it does not have the window above the dinette table that yours does. Only a tiny window on the door side, so it's like sitting in a black hole. Everyone I asked told me I could not put in a window above the dining table, the same as there is at the front of the 181, as there would be structural supports there. I push on that end wall and am sure there is nothing "structural" in there, it gives about half an inch or more. You have inspired me. I will search out a suitable wide fixed window and Go For It!!!.

So besides looking great your window is also Inspiring.

I was worried about support structure, so I took a tiny drill bit and from the inside drilled a series of holes 1/2" deep where I was going to put the window, to see if I'd hit anything. Didn't.

On the drivers side rear, by the dinette. Cost me $75 for the window and $11 for a 1" rim. Grew a few more gray hairs cutting the hole, but all went well. I was afraid there might be some support structure behind the wall, but there wasn't. After I started cutting it took less than an hour. It's about an 1/8" off level, but that's as good as it gets with me. I'll attach some pictures as soon as I can get the attachment manager to work.

What size trim ring did you use on the door window? The online site says the window fits 3/4" walls. The door seems to be thicker than that.

Thanks,

ready2camp MPG 182