Slide

geeksrus

We just purchased a 2008 3400RL. Twice, when opening the 'entertainment slide' there are pieces of broken red plastic on the carpet, closest to the kitchen counter.

I would appreciate an explanation of what this is & does there need to be repairs to the slide?

Thanks

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Ours has that too only it's black plastic instead of red. It looks like the black coating from the underside of the slide is coming off. I've looked under the BR slide while it was out and found pieces of the black plastic coating scraped off there so I imagine that's what's going on with the entertainment slide as well. Is this normal?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I find the same black pieces under my big living/dining slide. I have determined it is the bottom edge of the outside slide coating that is coming off each time the slide is moved out. Can't seem to figure out what is tearing it off...would not think this is "normal"!

Would like to know what can be done about it??

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I had a similar problem with my off door side slide. Check underneath the slide and see if the black covering is being torn by the slide roller. The slide roller had a bad bearing and was not actually rolling as it should. It was digging into the plywood underneath the slide. Had to have the roller replaced.

kakampers

Thanks TRDeal,

How do we locate the slide roller...with the slide in or out? I don't think that's what's doing it as the material is coming off the extreme edge of the slide bottom; I wouldn't think the roller is directly on the edge of the slide...could be wrong though.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
kakampers said:
Thanks TRDeal,

How do we locate the slide roller...with the slide in or out? I don't think that's what's doing it as the material is coming off the extreme edge of the slide bottom; I wouldn't think the roller is directly on the edge of the slide...could be wrong though.
Might look up some threads that" mrcomer" has posted he had a couple pictures of his bedroom slide repair.---Ken

Jimmyt5

I have this problem but I think it is powder coat paint they use and it is chipping off...

geeksrus

geeksrus said:
We just purchased a 2008 3400RL. Twice, when opening the 'entertainment slide' there are pieces of broken red plastic on the carpet, closest to the kitchen counter.

I would appreciate an explanation of what this is & does there need to be repairs to the slide?

Thanks

I'm somewhat DISAPPOINTED that I haven't heard back from the factory regarding this!!!!!

Scott

In regards to the "red plastic" pieces that are showing up under your slide-out: These pieces are not part of the coach. There is nothing under our slide out rooms that is built out of red plastic. The only possibility that we can think of is if one of the electrician's red wire cap nuts ended up in the slide-out tray area and has since been crushed and is now coming out in small red pieces.

The only other explanation would be if something was discarded at the dealership (i.e. a red plastic cup) that was somehow trapped beneath the slide-out and is breaking up.

In conclusion, it is not something structural - but most assuredly is some small red plastic item that was caught under the slide. It can probably be removed by pulling down the bottom wiper while the room is half way in and using something to eradicate it.

ST

Black coating coming off the bottom of the slide exposing wood

Scott said:
In regards to the "red plastic" pieces that are showing up under your slide-out: These pieces are not part of the coach. There is nothing under our slide out rooms that is built out of red plastic. The only possibility that we can think of is if one of the electrician's red wire cap nuts ended up in the slide-out tray area and has since been crushed and is now coming out in small red pieces.

The only other explanation would be if something was discarded at the dealership (i.e. a red plastic cup) that was somehow trapped beneath the slide-out and is breaking up.

In conclusion, it is not something structural - but most assuredly is some small red plastic item that was caught under the slide. It can probably be removed by pulling down the bottom wiper while the room is half way in and using something to eradicate it.

ST

Scott, what about the black coating coming off the bottom of the slide exposing wood that has also been mentioned? I too am having this problem on my bedroom slide. Thanks. James

kakampers

Yes...the black coating is coming off both of my slides in the living room, exposing the wood underneath. What can be done about this. Scott can you advise?

Scott

I am going to assume that you are not going to like this, but instead of using exposed wood, we use a coated wood. Will the rollers or the slide action rub off some of the black over time? Yes. Is a structural significant event? No. It is cosmetic and there is not much that we are going to be able to do about it. We could build ours with the raw wood or the simple plast plastic wrap that tears - but we pay a little more for the nice coated stuff. Yes, it can rub or wear off over time, but beyond buildilng slideout floors with large metal areas on the bottom, this is going to happen some over time.
ST

Scott said:
I am going to assume that you are not going to like this, but instead of using exposed wood, we use a coated wood. Will the rollers or the slide action rub off some of the black over time? Yes. Is a structural significant event? No. It is cosmetic and there is not much that we are going to be able to do about it. We could build ours with the raw wood or the simple plast plastic wrap that tears - but we pay a little more for the nice coated stuff. Yes, it can rub or wear off over time, but beyond buildilng slideout floors with large metal areas on the bottom, this is going to happen some over time.
ST

Scott, Thanks for the reply. I understand what you are saying about the coating coming off over time. In my case I bought my unit new a little over a month ago. Should I be expecting this to happen this early?

Pulltab

Well I guess my question would be, should we recoat it with something to protect the wood? If yes then what would be suggested. I don't mind doing maintenance but would help if I had the right supplies.

geeksrus

Scott said:

ST

Good to hear that is nothing structrual. The size of the pieces indicate it is not a wire cap but probably a cup.

I'll remove the rest today.

Thanks for the clarification.