stabilizer jacks

kellyboy

I just purchased a 2005 37' Landmark. The rear stabilizer jacks won't extend. Anyone know where the fuse panel is for the jack? Any troubleshooting tips would be helpful. Thanks

danemayer

Hi kellyboy,

Welcome to the Heartland family and to the Owners Forum. You'll find there are a lot of friendly people here who are willing to share their knowledge and experience.

On newer rigs, the stabilizers have a 12v automotive style circuit breaker on a bussbar of 5 or 6 breakers, usually located near the battery. They may be covered by a rubber boot. I'm assuming that your 2005 has a similar arrangement.

Most of the breakers have automatic reset. At least one of them has a manual reset - a tiny button on the end.

Do you know for sure that your battery is charged? Do your slides work? Interior 12V lighting? Refrigerator?

I've attached a picture of the bussbar circuit breakers, and a diagram of the electrical flow.

Attachments

• circuitbreaker.jpg
    circuitbreaker.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 12 V.pdf
    77.5 KB · Views: 22

bighorn3370

Hi, kellyboy, welcome to the forum. I'm not sure where the circuit breakers are at on the 2005 Landmark, but on my BH they are under red caps just above the battery. You may just have to trace the hot wire to feed them. They are circuit breakers that can be reset. If you have 12 volts at the motor, then the motor is bad. I hope this helps. Ernie

kellyboy

My battery compartment doesn't look anything like that. I have taken a picture and as soon as i figure out how to attach it I will. My battery is charged and working. Slides work etc. I will check to see if there is power at the switch next.

jimtoo

Hi kellyboy,

Welcome to the Heartland owners forum and family... you should be able to post pics now... also,, I think I remember someone saying that on the earlier models the rear stabilizer jacks had an inline fuse back near the motor. You might check back there for a fuse and maybe get someone to help and check for voltage at the motor with a meter.

Let us know what you find.

Jim M

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My semi-educated guess is that the motor is kaput. They're East Indian junk to begin with and poorly sealed for exterior use. You might be able to disassemble it, clean out the corrosion, replace the brush springs and get it working again, though. I did.

kellyboy

Here is the picture of my battery compartment. I didn't find any reset buttons located in here. I pulled the switch out hoping to find a loose or disconnected wire but I did not. I also didn't see any fuses between the switch and the motor.

Attachments

• terminals1.jpg
    terminals1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 62

danemayer

Here is the picture of my battery compartment. I didn't find any reset buttons located in here. I pulled the switch out hoping to find a loose or disconnected wire but I did not. I also didn't see any fuses between the switch and the motor.
Top left, the row of terminals. Those are the circuit breakers. One of them should have a teeny, tiny reset button on the end. But if your battery is getting charged when on shore power, it probably doesn't need to be reset.

The circuit breaker to the stabilizers should have an auto-reset built into it. If you're getting 12V to the stabilizer motor, the circuit breaker is ok. If not, you may have a bad circuit breaker. A test light or volt meter should show whether the individual breakers are passing 12V.

kellyboy

Im getting power to the switch and I tested power from switch to motor. I get power to the motor when I push the extend button and when i push the retract. I pulled the motor and touched the wires to the battery. I got nothing. Looks like its the motor after all. Are these motors pretty universal? Should it be easy to find and hopefully inexpensive? I appreciate all your help. Someone suggested opening the motor up and cleaning it. Do you think its worth a try? Or should i just get a new motor and be done with it?

kellyboy

Here is a picture of the motor. I can't find any numbers or a name on it. Does it look like a lippert? I haven't had much luck finding another motor that looks like this online. Any help would be appreciated.

JohnDar

I think you can see the pic now

Your motor looks different from the one on my rear stabilizers. The wire on mine enters the motor at the joint between the gear box and the motor casing. Your's looks like it comes in from the other end. Still, I'd disassemble it and clean up the corrosion inside. Depending on how the brush springs are installed, you might be able to use the spring from a ball point pen cut to about half to replace the hair wire brush springs, which are probably rusted, too. Reassemble it and bench test it with the battery.

danemayer

Here is a picture of the motor. I can't find any numbers or a name on it. Does it look like a lippert? I haven't had much luck finding another motor that looks like this online. Any help would be appreciated.

Kellyboy, why don't you call Heartland and ask for the parts dep't. They can probably tell you if they have a replacement for 2005 motor, and how much it cost. If they don't have it, they may be able to give you the manufacturer's part number.

I would think it's also likely that you can get a comparable motor from an RV dealer.

If it was $100, I'd just get a new one and be done with it. If it was $500, I might take a run at fixing it. But everyone has their own pain threshhold.

kellyboy

I broke the motor down this far. The gear in the middle was froze up. I broke it loose and now it turns freely. After I broke it loose I tested it on a battery. It would barley turn. It spun a few times and would quit. I don't see how to break it down much further. Im proud of myself for getting this far. Im not to mechanically inclined. I did find the tool to manually crank the stabilizers down. It was hidden in a compartment. The motor would be nice but at least I can get the stabilizers down. My only other question is if they make a socket that fits it. Then I could put it on a cordless drill and it would be almost as good as a motor.

Attachments

• inside motor1-1.jpg
    inside motor1-1.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 39

kellyboy

Here is the problem. The camper is 7 years old. The parts department needs a part number. I have looked all over the scissor jack and motor for some sort of part number. Cant find one. The nearest RV store is about 30 miles from me. I would call Heartland but I can't give them the info they need. I'll just have to carry it to them when I get time. Happy Camping. Thanks for all of you guys help.

danemayer

Here is the problem. The camper is 7 years old. The parts department needs a part number. I have looked all over the scissor jack and motor for some sort of part number. Cant find one. The nearest RV store is about 30 miles from me. I would call Heartland but I can't give them the info they need. I'll just have to carry it to them when I get time. Happy Camping. Thanks for all of you guys help.
Have you spoken with Heartland? They may be able to look up the part number from their build records.

TedS

Maybe these LIPsheets may help:

Attachments

• 0110-electric-landing-gear-switch-harness.pdf
    130.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 0094-electric-stabilizer-jack-motor-comparison.pdf
    77.9 KB · Views: 32

JohnDar

From your photo and Ted's LIP sheet, it looks like you may have a Klauber motor assy. Mine looks more like the Pradha (and it says Made in India).