Maiden Voyage

Dusty

We returned earlier this week from our first camping trip in our new Bighorn 3500. We were a little nervous having 37 feet behind us but she (we have named her "the Big' un") did beautiful towing and backing into sites. We were just real comfy on our 10 day trip to Caprock Canyon and Palo Duro Canyon in the Texas Panhandle. Anyone been to Palo Duro Canyon? That is, anyone besides Terry H and Carol who we met at the campground. Imagine how surprised we were to round the corner and see an identical Bighorn 3500 sitting there! We thought for sure it would be a while before we came across another, but there sat #400 a few sites down from our #366! It was sure good to visit with you guys and hope to see you again on the road. If you haven't been to Palo Duro Canyon, and y'all should go if you are in the Amarillo area, there is a 2 mile, 10% grade down into the park at the bottom of the canyon and naturally you have to pull back up that grade when leaving. Our 2002 Ford F250 turbo deisel pulled that Bighorn out of there like a champ. Both Palo Duro and Caprock Canyon (93 miles SE) offered really nice campsites and some of the most dramatic scenery we have seen in quite a while. PD is the second largest canyon in the U.S. We all know what the biggest is! We will attach pictures when we learn how to upload to the forum.
Linda & Dusty ;)

JIMnMICK

Fulltimming Workampers
:) Dusty glad to here ya had a good first time out,hope you have many more great adventurs keep us posted.....

BluegrassMan

Maiden Voyage Also

About a month ago My wife,Dog(pug) and myself set out for a Large Bluegrass festival near Baltimore Md. This was our FIRST trip in our Grand Canyon, about 55 miles from home. Our entry door kept coming open, I would look in the mirror and oops there it is, open swinging while going down the road.

I stopped for the forth and last time, and locked the DEADBOLT !!! It stayed shut. After arriving at our destination, there were many OOHH's and AAHH's about our New Landmark from the attendants at the gate while entering.

I then proceeded to my campsite, not wanting to back around etc. I made a large circle then pulling straight in my site, WELL THEN !!!!!!!!! it gets good.

I ordered a sliding tray for the floor of the cargo bay.(factory installed) While making my wide right turn, the left cargo door flew up and open. The tray exited out of the opening hanging out about 7 feet, only the come in contact with the SPARE TIRE on the back of a Motorhome ! :eek: Whack !!! bending the slide out tray, NO damage to the trailer, I do need to fix the tray, I didn't have the lock locked with the key, but the two catches were turned locked tight. On a NEW unit the locks and catches are VERY hard to use. :confused:

If you aren't careful, the keys bend and break VERY easily, Believe me I found this out. It started out as the weekend from ****, but it got better, we had a good time, and I got over my embarassment of driving around with my drawers out! ha-ha! Once I get the trailer back to my dealer and get a couple BUGS worked out, I know I have one of the BEST 5th wheels on the market.
Denny B (BluegrassMan):)

Dusty

Sounds like the first trip I ever took in my very first 5ver. talk about a trip from ****. As a lesson learned, I lock every compartment on my trailer, lock the entry door, and fold the assist handle over the door.
The last think I do is walk around the entire rig, check the hitch, electrical connection to the turck, break away brake cable, doors all compartments, steps up etc.
Of course there was an antenna incident one time with the old trailer. hung a low hanging electrical wire in a cheapo camp ground, they have much nicer wire there now, thanks to my insurance.
I am very careful with my new unit.

Dusty

Tom of Ypsi

On my last 5th wheel (Titanium and never in the shop) the manual said to lock all exterior doors with the key to avoid possible opening during movement. The exterior compartment doors can be adjusted for easier lockiing by simply taking a pair of plyers and gently bending the thumb screw closures outward slightly. This will make closing and securing the compartment doors easier.

BluegrassMan

BluegrassMan's Maiden Voyage Cont.

Thanks for the get back Guys, I guess I should have a checklist as I'm getting Oldtimer's disease. The slide out tray has a lever on either end of the tray so it can slide out on either side of the trailer, I was SURE it was secured, I think I'll drill and pin it for future use.

On the trailer door, it was locked at the latch but won't hold, that is why I finally locked the dead bolt, I don't know if the door latch is going all the way in the striker or not.( Haven't checked yet). C-Ya Denny :eek:

Check List

Greetings, All!

I can see that this thread is getting a little stale, but I'll reply anyway. The checklist thing is a great idea. I have one saved in the computer and I modify it from time to time. I always print off a copy and use it EVERY time I hitch up.
My son is in the Marine Corps and flys jets for a living. These are the best trained aviators in the world and every generation gets better because of the experiences of those that went before them. They know those jets inside-out. There is not a system, circuit breaker, instrument, switch or knob that they don't know and can always find each and every cockpit control without even looking. Well, guess what. They do every preflight inspection with a written checklist in their hand. If it's good enough for those guys it's good enough for me. I know it sounds and looks a little stupid for an experienced RVer to do this, but I've never broken anything, lost anything on the road, left anything in the campsite or, most importantly, hurt anyone.
I would be glad to share my checklist with anyone out there, but any experienced RVer can make his own. Warning - you won't get everything on the list on the first try. There is always something that you forgot and will have to add. That's exactly my point. You won't remember every detail so you need a list in your hand. Please feel free to PM me & I'll send you a copy of my list if you want.

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Checklists are Great. Having obtained my pilots license years ago I believe in Checklists. We use one all the time. We have even made a load or packing list which seems to be necessary the older you get.
Regards
Wayne

JER-1

checklists

Great are those checklists , use them everytime I take a plane up. Never made an outside to do checklist for camper,sounds like a good idea though.Allways have a load checklist guess I'll be making a outside checklist for this new camper picking up monday. Might save a few dents here or there.LOL
JER-1
fOR ANYONE WANTING TO SEE A HILLBILLY MANSION TAKE A LOOK.
Just click the photo

None

Attachments

• redneck-mansion.jpg
    redneck-mansion.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 39

Netem

I hope they don't have a tornado or their mansion will be scattered over about 5 miles.:eek:

L

lance114

Great are those checklists , use them every time I take a plane up. Never made an outside to do checklist for camper,sounds like a good idea though.Always have a load checklist guess I'll be making a outside checklist for this new camper picking up Monday. Might save a few dents here or there.LOL