Connections wanted for John Deere plant tours

ILH

Does anybody have any connections or contacts at John Deere in Moline? We've driven all the way from east of Toronto - only to find out that the factory tour of John Deere is fully booked (even tbough we've called the suggested 2 days in advance). I have a very distraught son (who also happens to be John Deere's number one fan) who really wanted to go.

Any help woulp be appreciated.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Re: Connections Wanted

Have you considered taking the factory tours at the Waterloo or Des Moines, Ia plants?

http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US..._visitors/tours_attractions/factorytours.page
call for tours. (800)765-9588.

Tractors and engines are built in Waterloo. About two hours northwest of Moline.
John Deere Des Moines Works manufactures self-propelled sprayers, cotton pickers, tillage equipment, and grain drills. Des Moines is about 2.5 hours west of Moline.
Tours are also sometimes available at the Ottumwa, Ia plant too.

Not sure about tours here but there is a John Deere Dubuque works where they build construction equipment. Dubuque about one hour north of moline.
although, not as exciting, be sure to checkout the John Deere pavillion in downtown Moline and the world headquarters lobby on the edge of town. Both have many pieces of equipment and some surprises to explore.

bighorn3370

Re: Connections Wanted

I may be wrong, but I thought the tours were first come first serve. The pavilion is cool. When I was there, you could get in some of the equipment. But bar none the factory tour was way better. I know on the construction side they have what is called a gold key. When you buy a piece of equipment, you go to the factory and watch it be built. Then you get to drive it off the line. John Deere gives you a gold key, and there is a plaque mounted on the equipment. Ernie

RollingHome

Have you tried or are you in the Quad City area ? JD parks all their corporate AC there and it's a main JD hub. I was there a couple of years ago (at their corp. jet center) and it seemed the center of the JD Co. action. "If" you could get into the Quad City airport and into their corp AC ops. maybe, just maybe, you could soft talk a JD employee into pulling some strings... just a thought, good luck. Happy RVing

ILH

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. While visiting tbe JD head office yesterday, one of the customer service agents offered to call the factory and try and get one or two of us added to one of the tours - but unfortunately she wasn't able to help either. Very disappointing.

ILH

We've left the Moline area now - so this is no longer an issue - although I thank all those who contributed suggestions.

Yes, I believe you can book further in advance (not sure how far) - in our case we didn't because of possible changing plans. Had we known it was going to be an issue, we would have.