Need PDI advice please

Dancol

My wife and I are picking up our New Bighorn in the next two weeks. The dealer told us that the walk through would take up to 3 hours, we'll see. Would love some advice on some keys areas of concern to check before taking possession. I have read many of the forums and it seems that plumbing issues have been a problem for many. Are there anymore. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

jbeletti

Re: Advice Please.

Dancol,

Download and read through all the PDI documents here on the wiki: //heartlandowners.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=PDI

danemayer

If possible, stay at the dealership or very close by for at least one or two nights. You'll have a chance to use all of the appliances, check out the plumbing, watch some TV, listen to the radio, learn about surround sound, etc. If you need any adjustments or have additional questions, or can't remember something, the dealer will be close at hand. If you let them know you're doing this ahead of time, I'm sure they'll agree to take care of any adjustments without you having to drop the rig off and wait.

If you have satellite TV, bring it along and test out the connections.

donr827

Dan and Jim gave you some good advice. My PDI sheet was 10 pages long. After leaving the dealer I stayed at their campground for two nights and tried ever thing out to make sure that ever thing worked.
Don

VideoGuy3

Spend your first night or two close by and do it during the week so your dealers mechanics are available. We had the rear stabilizer motor fail the first morning. Returned and had it replaced. You will have questions that were not addressed or you didn't understand something on the walk through. Also, notate all the decrepincies you find and have the dealer's rep initial your list. Don't be embarrassed to ask questions and have the answered repeated if you are not 100% sure of what you are told.

Westwind

My advise is read the above and do it, I didn't and was lucky we had one minor problem and it wasn't the dealers fault because I didn't give him a chance to check it over either. I had to be back home for work the next day so it was pick up and run. I don't advise that.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Follow the advice given so far, but it sounds like you can be a little at ease about it since your dealer has already told you it'll take at least 3 hours. That's about right. Seems like many folks that found problems later were given the "hitch 'n' git" treatment. Just remember, it's "monkey-see, monkey-do." You don't want to just follow behind nodding your head at everything they show or tell you. And ask to have the basement panels removed so you can inspect back there for any leaks. Document all problems found and get an appointment with the dealer to get them fixed, if they can't be done on the spot.

I cannot emphasize enough just how important this is. I had a terrible experience over this very thing. JohnDar is Completely 100% right on this one and whether you are a new RV'r or been at it 50 years you better heed this message. It will save you a lot of Heartache and Headache down the road! Once you sign that sheet it's over as far as the dealer is concerned. He has you dead to rights if he wants to.

vakthund

And, learn and test emergency operations also. Make the dealer show you how to operate the slides when the hydraulic pump fails etc. Not tell you, show you. Test it.

danemayer

learn and test emergency operations also.

This triggered a thought: have them show you how to open the emergency exit windows, and you do it so you know how they open. We all hope never to use them, but in an emergency, you don't have time to figure it out. Most are hinged at the top so they don't fall out when opened. There's a good chance the dealer has never done this, but don't let that deter you.

If you have or can borrow a video camera, one of you tape the whole PDI. I wouldn't do it myself because it's distracting to pay attention to the person talking and to pay attention to the camera. After you use the rig for a few days or a week, watch the whole tape and you'll see things you forgot.