Entry Steps Going From 3 to 4 Steps

donr827

Our Bighorn has the standard 3 step entry steps. Has anyone switched from the 3 step to a 4 step entry step? I want to do this for my wife who has arthritis in her right hip. Hopefully the new step will fit in the same frame that holds the 3 step. Any information will be appreciated.
Don

JJOren

Don:

We have not actually did a conversion but we went from 3 - 4 steps when we went from our Elkridge to the Landmark. I have bad knees and a bad hip as well. That change did more for me getting in and out of the coach than anything I can imagine. Reduced my pain by at least 80 %.

John

wdk450

My 2008 production Bighorn came with the 4 step steps from Elkhart Tool and Die, so Heartland previously used these. This step is both bolted AND welded to the chassis.

Gizzy

I ordered a 4 step from PPL and installed it. The 7in rise is much easier than the 9in and sure makes it easier on bad knees. I did the install myself and it was not too difficult. Had to do a little trimming to make it fit. Would have been MUCH easier with an extra set of hands to help hold stuff. VERY happy with it.
Note: I didn't like the way it felt when we stepped on the bottom step. I felt it was putting a lots of stress on the whole thing so I got one of the swing down supports and installed it on the 2nd step. Really takes a lot of stress off the unit.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Do you have a photo or brand/part number for the swing down support? I would be interested in looking into one of those.

Kristy

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Our Bighorn has the standard 3 step entry steps. Has anyone switched from the 3 step to a 4 step entry step? I want to do this for my wife who has arthritis in her right hip. Hopefully the new step will fit in the same frame that holds the 3 step. Any information will be appreciated.
Don

Don,

These are similar, (and possibly the same) as the 4 step setup that came on my BH from the factory.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-steps/camper-folding-steps.htm Trace

Last edited:

donr827

Appreciate all of the input. Down loaded dimension drawings from Elkhart Tool who make the Quadra slide and will see if it mounts without too much trouble. I think that I will call HL customer service also and see what they have to say.
Don

ChangingPlaces

We have just ordered a 4 step entry step. We both have bad knees so hopefully they will make it easier. We have to paint our steps as rust is taking over. Bit dissapointing with being only 2 years old. So now we won't have to. I have being led to believe they fit straight in, but we will see.

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
We have had a 4 steps for anumber of years now on our Bighorn . My wife has arthritise and the 4 steps works great for her. It does make entry to the camper much easyer for her. Many of our older friends enjoy these steps also when they vist our camper.For us older people I wish the 4 steps would be a standard
on the Bighorn.

jpdoggett

We have four on ours and they help but keep a eye on the top step ours has started to crack and also a other Heartland owner that has the four steps his has to so keep a watch

wdk450

Mine cracked (and broke) both welds of the crossbar on the 2nd from the top step. This bar is a stop that holds ALL the weight, and is secured to side plates with small amounts of metal supporting the rod and no (in my opinion) needed metal re-enforcement. It was poorly rewelded, and needs rewelding again. Fortunately, I use the external screw step support on the bottom step that helps support the weight.

Follow Up: I had an incident scraping the door side of my rig with a solidly set gate fencepost with a protruding welded chain link. As part of the insurance repair this Spring, I got a new 4 step step assembly. I was able to move the support screw foot to the new set of steps.

Here's a link to the step support I use under the bottom step: http://tweetys.com/step-stabilizer-jack-support.aspx

Last edited:

aatauses

We have the four step and I would encourage you to put support under the last step. We use a simple screw jack and have found that works just fine
al
Currently in Kenai, AK

We changed from the 3 times - 9inch steps to 4 times - 7inch steps on our 2013 - 3070 because of dogs with arthritis and wife with problems also. We have not regreted it. We just make sure that "on site" we install a support under step number two to reduce the torque at the mounting points. Access while On the road and momentary access is not a problem.

cb1313

My Road warrior came with a 3 step and I always had to put a little box on the ground to get to the first step. I live with a few disabilities so my dealer installed a 4 step. I have no problems with it.

Cb

Theresau

What brand did you install? Why is the support needed? We are looking at Stromberg Carlson (I started a new thread...). They are powder coated.

We changed from the 3 times - 9inch steps to 4 times - 7inch steps on our 2013 - 3070 because of dogs with arthritis and wife with problems also. We have not regreted it. We just make sure that "on site" we install a support under step number two to reduce the torque at the mounting points. Access while On the road and momentary access is not a problem.