2nd a/c unit

probably an old question, just bought a 2005 Thor Jazz 2760 5th wheel, i checked and found wiring in the front vent, a green wire and a white wire, are those the 110 wiring? also an orange and a white smaller wire in the same space, next question is, where would thse wires be hooked up to the power panel, and as long as i only run one unit at a time would this work on a 30 amp sytem, or would i be better , running to a seperate box down near the lower front of the 5th wheel with a seperate plug and cord

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You would have to look in the breaker panel to see if there is a breaker in there for a 2nd AC.
Most likely not with a 30 amp system.
You can't tell what the wire if for by the color. What size wires are they and where do they go. They may be 12 volt and T-stat wires for a vent fan.
IMO,you would be best served running a separate box with a separate cord.

Peace
Dave

the vent and light near the vent opening is already wired..these two sets of wires are just coiled up in the area behind the roof vent, the one a/c is vented..i have a 15000 Carrier i am thinking of installing on the front slope, i'll ahve to check the breaker box for a second breaker for a 2nd a/c unit..thanks for the quick reply

CactusTwo

SCARY!!! If you don't know what a 110v wire looks like , maybe you are NOT electrically inclined and should leave it to the professionals at a shop. Do you even own a multimeter? SCARY!!

danemayer

Millerguy1,

You sound like you're not afraid to try new things and learn as you go. With this type of job, there is some risk you could hurt yourself or fry something in your trailer. If you decide to do it yourself, maybe you can find a friend with more electrical experience to give you a hand.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
What gauge are the wires?? Me thinks that there should 3 wires. Hot, neutral and a ground. 2 A/C's on a 30amp system is way tooooo many.

i am not rushing to do something stupid, thats why i am asking questions, i have been around 12 v and 120 for 60 years..so i know a few things..i have a few multimeters, there is no power to the wires, thats why i asked, as to a second 20 amp breaker there isn't one, which answered my question, quess now i ask how i run wires to the front vent opening down to a seperate box, to run a second cord... any help would be appreciated...thanks

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
i am not rushing to do something stupid, thats why i am asking questions, i have been around 12 v and 120 for 60 years..so i know a few things..i have a few multi meters, there is no power to the wires, thats why i asked, as to a second 20 amp breaker there isn't one, which answered my question, guess now i ask how i run wires to the front vent opening down to a separate box, to run a second cord... any help would be appreciated...thanks
Millerguy1, If the existing wires can't be traced, it's probably best to run a new set of 110 from the vent opening to a separate box and cable. I would run it to the basement area and use an isolated cord to the 20 amp circuit in the campgrounds pedestal. I have seen wiring run in a surface mounted conduit which can be found at most home centers or Ace stores. They offer surface mounted angles, boxes and much more for those situations when wire can't be pulled through a wall.

If your rig is only rated/equipped for 30 amps, a second a/c wiring would have not been included. The existing wires must be 12 volts and t'stat wiring for a fantastic thermostatically controlled fan.

Just so you know, this forum is a Heartland Owners Forum so most of us aren't too familiar with the other Thor products. Heartland was only acquired by Thor a short time ago. That said, we're RV friendly and we'll help anyone we can. Good luck with your project.