Should I get a topper for my slide out?

bobarue

The dealer told me it was personal preference whether I get a topper for my slide. I never had a slide before so I really don't know myself but, it seems like a lot of folks have them on their campers. Not everybody though!

jbeletti

They have pros and cons.

Pros:
- Keeps water and debris (leaves, twigs etc.) off the slide room roof
- Can reduce the heat in the slide out a bit

Cons:
- Another expense
- Can stretch over time (through use, heat and water pooling on top)
- Can flap in the wind if conditions are just right

Personally - I'll always get them. For me, the pros outweigh the cons.

dfk009

Have to agree with Jim. We elected to spend the money on factory installed toppers, instead of getting a satellite installed (ended up buying a Winegard Carryout anyway). After a rain, I will run all slides in to empty the pooling water, and back out to dry. After the 2012 KY/TN Rally storm, it's a good idea to pull the slides in during high wind thunderstorms. We don't regret having them put on by Heartland.

lwmcguir

We like them as well to keep the water and heat off the slide. I usually push the water off with a broom but that hasn't been a problem in the Midwest this year. The reduction in heat is significant if you are primarily a summer camper.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Another vote for toppers.

The water pooling on top is a small issue.
Wind noise is the most annoying, if the coach is sitting just right in relationship to a pretty stiff wind. (50+ MPH)

I agree with others, the pro's outweigh the con's and I would not be without them. Trace

Last edited:

2TrakR

Has anyone installed these themselves? I would like to put them on, our last RV had the slide toppers and it really helped to keep the junk off of the slide. Concerned about some errant branch or other tearing up the slide seal.
Have not looked to even see if they are available to non-dealers.

Birchwood

Having them keep debris from the top of slide is a big plus as its one less thing you have to do before departing.
The only negatives are wind noise and cost.

Peteandsharon

We don't currently have a slide out topper. However, on a previous unit we had a slide out topper which was independent of the slide out itself. You had to manually crank it down like the main awning but I preferred this setup. That way you can have the slideout extended without the awning on those excessively windy days. I don't recall the manufacturer but I'm sure it's still available.

jpdoggett

We had them put on ours at the dealer and all four do a great job the have the self tightners(ms) and they work well

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We had them installed on all four slides by the dealer before we took possession. The only one that might have been a problem was the long main slide topper. Before I made a removeable PVC pipe support for it, pooling water in the center was possible. The other three toppers are tight without additional supports. As for noise, I haven't heard any from the other three, or the main, after the support was fabricated.

I have seen some toppers on other rigs that looked like hammocks, though. Bad installation.

Tomharg

We don't have them on our current, new Bighorn 3010, but did on our previous Komfort. I liked having the cover, despite having some sag in an older installation. I want to get at least one put on for our kitchen slide to shade/cool the refer area and keep debris off (such as autumn leaves while we have it parked) but I'll have to wait until the piggy bank fills a little more. One strong recommendation, though, if you choose to add a topper, be sure that the fabric is hemmed or otherwise strengthened on the edges to keep the wind from fraying those edges while travelling, particularly the leading edge. I replaced the fabric on our previous rig's slide topper with an inexpensive topper fabric and it frayed after a year and about 4000 miles of travel. When I do add a topper(s) to our new unit, I will be leaning toward a cover of some sort for the rolled-up topper, even if it is only a tougher fabric for the last roll of the topper -- much like our main awning appears to have.

ChangingPlaces

I fitted our slide toppers with the help of our dealer. I agree the pros outway the cons. They do flap around about in high winds and can be noisey at times.
I would rather have them than not. For the flapping around I purchased a pair of Airwedges, they do stop the flapping and once their fitted and tied down (a bit of a hassle) but they do the job.

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
We have one one and are glad we got it, especially if you camp in the woods much, it really keeps the top of the slide out clean.

meandg

crawgator
I am happy our dealer called and 'really' recommended them to us. At that time we decided to add them and I am glad we did. I will start pulling in the slides to dump them after the hard rains, thanks for the tips.

kimsandyb

I just installed the Carefree brand on mine. Got the one that is totally inclosed when retracted, no fabric exposed. Cost a little more but I figured better in the long run. If you have some handyman experience shouldn't be a problem. You can get then in colors to match rv. Check pplmotorhomes.com.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I am happy our dealer called and 'really' recommended them to us. At that time we decided to add them and I am glad we did. I will start pulling in the slides to dump them after the hard rains, thanks for the tips.

If they're installed properly, you should not have to pull in the smaller slides to dump water from the toppers. The only exception may be on a large slide such as the dining/living room. For that, you can stuff beach balls under it or make a PVC pipe support that will take the sag out of it. My slides stay extended from mid-May to late September and don't collect water.