Red Max Pro on a Fiver!! WOW!!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Any of us with older units really tend to envy all the bright, new and shiny Heartlands we see...well got tired of the envy thing and decided to do something about it!

Our '08 Bighorn, built in July '07, was starting to show her age, mainly due to being out in the scorching sun for more than five years....almost exclusively in the southern states. She had really lost her luster, especially on the caps, and the off-door side, which got the most direct sun all winter in the RGV...WELL...look at her now!! We spent three days using a process that stripped everything off, all wax, etc. and then put four coats of Red Max Pro, an acrylic high-shine floor finish...we are absolutely amazed at the results!!

IMAG0078.jpgIMAG0073.jpgIMAG0077.jpg

Look at how she shines as pretty as that brand new Redwood she's next to! Her graphics look brand new, I can see my reflection even in the cap and all the blotchy, patchy looking areas from years of waxing are smooth and shiny again! And this is after towing her over a 1,000 miles and she really needs a bath. The best part is, to keep her looking this good, just have to give her a regular good washing, let her dry completely and add another coat of RMP once or twice a year. This stuff does NOT yellow or build up...really keeps her looking good...the prep work however as a REAL JOB!! But that's done now...

Did months of research on this process, saw many, many like results before jumping in and giving it a try...so glad we did!!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Wow, does look like new! Great job!

Can you give us a play-by-play of the prep-work? Was it done by hand, or use an orbital waxer? How many people and hours did it take? Did you have to be out of direct sun during the process?

Would love this finish on our rig!!

Erika

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Wow, it looks great!

Floor wax, who would have thunk it? Trace

kakampers

Wow, does look like new! Great job!

Can you give us a play-by-play of the prep-work? Was it done by hand, or use an orbital waxer? How many people and hours did it take? Did you have to be out of direct sun during the process?

Would love this finish on our rig!!

Erika

Erika...here is a link to the complete instructions on how to do this restoration. Believe me when I say, the prep work is the MOST important part!! It took two of us about 8 hours a day for three days...we're no spring chickens so we took our time. If at all possible do in the shade...we kinda followed the sun around the rig, especially when applying the RMP, it dries very quickly. This is all by hand, there is no using a sander involved...probably the most work was the Bar Keepers Friend application which removes the marks and streaks...we used a 3M fine white scubbie...and remember...RINSE, RINSE AND RINSE AGAIN!! Not sure if you rig is Filon or High Gloss Gelcoat to begin with, if it is Filon you results may not be as dramatic...but trust me it will make it look great!!

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25818736.cfm

Attachments

• 000_0016.jpg
    000_0016.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 106

kakampers

any "before" pictures?

The first pic is from several months ago before we left the RGV. She still had some shine, but she was really starting to look worn out. The second pic is from just before Gillette...I spent an entire day Dri Wash N Guarding the rig...it's clean but the rear cap is still dull and listless...

Check out the rear cap from today...even with road grime all over it, you can see the reflection of the ladder and all the shine around the tail lights, etc. The last pic is from today of the door side...I'm still amazed...:):)

Attachments

• 100_0010.jpg
    100_0010.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 208
  • 000_0016.jpg
    000_0016.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 211
  • IMAG0079.jpg
    IMAG0079.jpg
    502.5 KB · Views: 216
  • IMAG0080.jpg
    IMAG0080.jpg
    489.4 KB · Views: 210
  • IMAG0081.jpg
    IMAG0081.jpg
    459.7 KB · Views: 210

kakampers

Wow! I wonder if it would be a good idea to do on a new one . . . hmmmm

If you have full body paint, or your gelcoat still takes wax well...I'd say NO!! We had gotten to the point that waxing just didn't really do anything and the finish was looking real "splotchy"...removing the wax and finish was our only real option. Even tried compounding it last year...looked OK, but nothing like this!!!

kakampers

Wow, it looks great!

Floor wax, who would have thunk it? Trace

I know...that's why it took us so long to research it!! We did it at a friends place, Pulltab here on the forum. He thought we were crazy when we told him what we were about to do...after it was done, he admitted he was really impressed...and trust me, Tab's not easily impressed!!

navyAZ1

I've been thinking about this ever since I met a guy here in GA that restores old campers and he told me about this. He had restored an old "Casita" it looks like a fiberglass bubble (little bitty travel trailer), but that thing looked like new. I do think I'll wait until it cools off a little though, it's still ini the upper 90's each day here in N. GA every day. Thanks for your info and the link to the instructions.

Ron

MTPockets

Wow! I wonder if it would be a good idea to do on a new one . . . hmmmm

I've had the same thought but have come to the conclusion that a good wax job a couple times a year on a new unit should keep it good for many years. Sounds like this stuff is great for a restoration though. The trick is the regular re-waxing maintenance.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Rejex is working well for us right now. We apply it about every 6 months.

If our finish ever goes south, I will look into this process. Trace

kakampers

I've had the same thought but have come to the conclusion that a good wax job a couple times a year on a new unit should keep it good for many years. Sounds like this stuff is great for a restoration though. The trick is the regular re-waxing maintenance.

Trust me, all the wax in the world can't protect against UV with fibreglass...been there, done that. Eventually it breaks down and starts chalking. Outside of having it painted...this is the perfect solution!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I read a couple of threads about Red Max Pro #3. I tried to search for Red, Red Max, and Red Max Pro but the search engine will not accept it.

I had to search the internet to find it and a connection to the Heartland forum. Any way here is my question.

I can not find Red Max Pro 3 at Lowes but they do have "Zep Commercial Wet Look Floor Finish" . I think this the same thing as Red Max Pro and/or the Zep Wet Look Floor Finish (Step 3) indicated at HOme Depot.

Called Zep and the person I taked to really had no idea what I was asking and he was suppose to be in sales.

BC

</SPAN>

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Thanks.. Do you know if there is a temperature problem. Probably do it this weekend. It will be in the 60's until Friday then in the 70's for te weekend...

BC

kakampers

Temps should be fine....try to work on the shady sides when applying the finish....remember, the prep is the key. Make sure ALL wax and previous finishes are removed before applying the Zep.