Storage box next to the UDC

Sandpirate69

I have a small dilema. Next to my UDC I have a storage area with an aluminum cover. This is probably in the Cyclones also. Anyway, every time I open it, it seems to smell like mildew. Today I took out the few items I keep in there and discovered it was wet and mildew was growing. I took everything out and let it dry out. I checked it the next day & it was dry. I put a plastic soap dispenser & 2 rubber emergency triangle and this morning the bottom were wet. I don't understand it. It hasn't rained in 3 days, the bottom of that storage area is dry, & the rig is in the same spot. Could it be condensation from the heat? Has anyone with a Road Warrior or Cyclone experience this problem? By the way the unit has no water leaks. Thanks in advance

dfk009

Sandpirate69,
When my special ordered 2012 Elkridge arrived, the first thing I noticed was the metal cover for the tool box was missing. The sales manager called Heartland requesting a cover, that was missing. He was told by Heartland that they had quit putting the covers on the tool boxes, because of the exact reason you are having problems. It was causing mildew problems in the box. You may want to remove the cover to rid your problem. Don

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have an Elk Ridge, and have seen evidence of water in our "toolbox" area. We put a small damp-rid container in there, seems to help.

gpshemi

If uou look at the udc you'll see gaps all around that lead to the lower skin and right into the toopbox area. You need to seal the udc. Also water can enter from the bottom as well. You can build a dam out of aluminum amd silicone to the bottom of the skin. Theres a thread here somewhere.

ILH

I have a RW with a lid on the tool box - haven't experienced any moisture poroblems so far.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have an Elk Ridge, and have seen evidence of water in our "toolbox" area. We put a small damp-rid container in there, seems to help.

Erika,
We keep a Damp-rid in the area near the UDC also. I have also sealed around the bottom corners/edges in the UDC. This seems to help a little, but it still smells musty at times. Trace

Sandpirate69

dfk009,
you were right, i put some things back inside the tool box area and left the lid up. Wala, no moisture and it was dry. Nothing has changed, not the weather or anything, just the fact I left it open. Now my next test is to drill 3 or 4 holes and see if it works the same. I use that lid to put thing on top, so I have to figure something out. As soon return home , I will test out a few things and see how it works. I will then post my test findings.

Sandpirate69,
When my special ordered 2012 Elkridge arrived, the first thing I noticed was the metal cover for the tool box was missing. The sales manager called Heartland requesting a cover, that was missing. He was told by Heartland that they had quit putting the covers on the tool boxes, because of the exact reason you are having problems. It was causing mildew problems in the box. You may want to remove the cover to rid your problem. Don

CabinetmakerII

dfk009,
you were right, i put some things back inside the tool box area and left the lid up. Wala, no moisture and it was dry. Nothing has changed, not the weather or anything, just the fact I left it open. Now my next test is to drill 3 or 4 holes and see if it works the same. I use that lid to put thing on top, so I have to figure something out. As soon return home , I will test out a few things and see how it works. I will then post my test findings.

We have he same problem with our Cyclone 3800. I contributed the water infiltration to having overfilled the fresh water tank. Water got into the area under the UDC and the tool box. I cleaned up the mildew and I was very careful about filling the fresh water tank prior to our last trip. Now today while cleaning up after our recent trip, I emptied the water heater. Once again water infiltrated the aformentioned area, this time through the drain valve access door. I checked the bottom of the tool box and once again there is mildew. I like your idea if drilling a few holes in te toolbox lid to allow ventilation. Still, I wonder why the the factory decided to eliminate the lid to prevent mildew instead of keeping the water out to begin with. Things that make you go HUMMMMM!

CabinetmakerII

porthole

Retired
The bottom of that box is probably touching the "j-wrap" where it wraps under the trailer.

Take a look here:
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=135046&viewfull=1#post135046

Last edited: