SOLVED: RV Tire Air Leak

currituck0209

I have a bighorn 3610, installed tpms, went on trip & got a slow leak. Removed the tpms from tire, sill leaking from 100 to 60 over night. Have not located the leak yet. But called a tire repair place, they dont think you can patch a tire with that much pressure. Does this make sense. ?????

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Re: Tire leak

I had the same problem and it turned out to be the valve stem that was leaking. It had worn at the base inside the tire. They replaced the stem and we went on our way no problems since.

donr827

I am no tire expect but would think that you could patch the tire but not with a plug. I would ask another tire dealer. Like Lee said it could be the valve stem. One time I had a very slow leak and it turned out to be a hole in the rim.
Don

davidg

If you have the steel valve stems you need to check around the stem at the rim, they will leak (more so when the seasons change) and all that needs to be done is tighten it.
You are loosing a lot of air and shouldn't be hard to find, check the rim also it may have a crack.
David

Birchwood

With a slow leak its probably a nail in the tire.Remove the tire and take it to a repair shop or have them come and do the job.
Not sure about plugging a trailer tire with 110 lbs.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

I have been told by two different tire shops that if the puncture is larger than 1/4" it should not be on the road.
If you have a nail puncture it will not be a problem to plug and patch it.

Peace
Dave

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders

I have been told by two different tire shops that if the puncture is larger than 1/4" it should not be on the road.
If you have a nail puncture it will not be a problem to plug and patch it.

Peace
Dave

I'll second that, not worth it if over 1/4 inch.

Now I don't mean to hijack the thread, but, I see post about running 100 and 110 lbs of air on BHs and LMs. The sticker on the side of my 3855FL says 80 lbs. Is there something I'm missing? I was fully prepared to start running higher pressure when we traded up but it said 80lbs.

Now I do have the Tow Maxx China bombs on it. I'll run them till next spring (I hope)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

Rex, some of the newer Bighorns came with LR "E" tires that should run 80 psi. Check the sidewall for the max psi rating. The guys running 100 to 110 psi are using LR "G" tires.

GOTTOYS

I had a patch/plug installed in the tread of one of my tires when it was almost new. Had a nail in it. I run 80 PSI. No problems in several thousand miles since...Don

rick_debbie_gallant

For max load caring I go with the sidewall of the tire, after first checking with the rating of the rim. When we did our PDI the guy doing it told me to inflate the tires to 80 pounds. We had the china bombs, go figure. I read the yellow sticker on the side of the trailer, it said 110 lbs. Read the sidewall of the tire, it read 110 lbs. The rims? you got it, 110 lbs. Lets just say my PDI guy did not understand. Nuff said.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yes I believe it must be patched from inside, not plugged alone. We have had a leak at the valve stem, and a valve core go bad and leak before.

Rex, check the inside of the wheel for a stamp of the PSI rating on the wheel. That will determine if you can run G rated tires at 100+ psi.

lwmcguir

I have a bighorn 3610, installed tpms, went on trip & got a slow leak. Removed the tpms from tire, sill leaking from 100 to 60 over night. Have not located the leak yet. But called a tire repair place, they dont think you can patch a tire with that much pressure. Does this make sense. ?????
We patch H rated tires as needed. Fortunately we don't have many flats. A high pressure valve stem should be used on H rated although we run metal if the wheels will accept them. No problem patching a HP tire. Somone doesnt know what they are talking about.

Jimmy

Just had mine patched (from the inside) last week after finding a screw in it. I took the wheel and tire off while I was camping and went to town and had it patched, 15 minutes and $16.00. Put back on RV, great trip home with 110 PSI. Good luck.

currituck0209

Hey davidg,
i think you got it on the head, the nut was not even hand tight, back to 110 lbs, ill watch it. Thanks for everyone help.

TeJay

Usually one of two approaches is what I use. Raise tire and do a visual looking for a nail, screw, etc. Those can be safely patched but the tire must be removed and broken down at a tire shop. If you find nothing with the visual water with dish soap sprayed on will find the slow leak especially ones around the stem or rim. Any tire using over 65#'s of air requires a high pressure stem.

TeJay

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders

just food for thought...but, my tire guy at home advises against the use of tire plugs. He says that it breaks the radial tire belts and can cause failure. I don't know how true that is and I have plugged many tires and run them until they were replaced. Also, I have had tires blow out that had plugs in it. Did the plug cause the blow out? No way to know.

TeJay

Some reading this may not know the difference between a standard tire plug and a better quality tire plug/patch. The standard plug is inserted from the outside on an inflated tire. You don't have to remove the tire from the vehicle or the rim and it takes less than 10 minutes to do. I've used those on cars and trucks for years with good success. These for the most part were not high pressure tires. The better quality plug is inserted from the inside and it is has a sizeable round patch which adheres to the inside of the tire then the plug goes through to the outside. One more point. Sometimes when a tire is punctured it does cut through the steel cords in the layers of the tire. If that is a high pressure tire (over 65#) then to be safe either replace it or use it as a spare.
TeJay

lwmcguir

Some reading this may not know the difference between a standard tire plug and a better quality tire plug/patch. The standard plug is inserted from the outside on an inflated tire. You don't have to remove the tire from the vehicle or the rim and it takes less than 10 minutes to do. I've used those on cars and trucks for years with good success. These for the most part were not high pressure tires. The better quality plug is inserted from the inside and it is has a sizeable round patch which adheres to the inside of the tire then the plug goes through to the outside. One more point. Sometimes when a tire is punctured it does cut through the steel cords in the layers of the tire. If that is a high pressure tire (over 65#) then to be safe either replace it or use it as a spare.
TeJay
We have used the plug style patch for years without any failures on 110-125 psig tires. Truck and trailers but always on duals, never on a steering axle. Good to point out the difference. Most good tire shops will do the right thing "if" the tech has been trained.