Low Point Drain Valves

jcarnevale

The low point drain ball valves have seized up causing me to strip the plastic thumb lever that operates the valve. Has anybody replaced these shutoff valves? I have not called Heartland yet as I thought I could find a suitable PEX replacement valve but no luck. Not to mention I don't have the PEX crimping tool. Any thoughts or ideas?
drainvalves.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Have you tried a plumbing supply store (not the big box stores)? They are available online, if you do a search for "PEX valves." For working the stainless steel crimps, you can substitute a pair of nippers for the PEX tool to both remove the old one and crimp down a new one. Since you have enough exposed line, it's simpler to just cut the old valve off (at the end of the barb fitting) and install the new ones.

Being a tool junkie (sort of), I put together a plumbing repair kit for the trailer that includes extra fittings, crimp and clamp rings, and the tools for them. Where we keep the trailer all summer is not exactly the Parts Capital of the World.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We eliminated our low-point drains, as recommended by others on this forum. They were the weak spot in our plumbing (freezing up) when we were cold-weather camping. We used the push-connect Sharkbite L fittings to re-connect the pex once the T was removed for the low-point drains (in the underbelly.) Sharkbite has some valves, but I'm not sure I would have them exposed at the bottom of the rig. They are highly guarded in a case at the big-box stores here, so must be valuable for thieves.

jcarnevale

hi john,
you are right, the big box stores don't have this valve in stock. I have found a suitable replacement online, but not an OEM part. have you tried the shark bite fittings? maybe I should just put together a plumbing kit like yours.

JohnDar

hi john,
you are right, the big box stores don't have this valve in stock. I have found a suitable replacement online, but not an OEM part. have you tried the shark bite fittings? maybe I should just put together a plumbing kit like yours.

No, I haven't tried the Sharkbite fittings, although they look like they might be great for some repairs. The repair I had to do was in fairly tight quarters and using the copper crimp rings and short sections of PEX did the job. One of the OEM PEX fittings developed a small leak (found while dewinterizing) around the barbs, so I replaced it with a brass one. Due to the learning curve of dealing with PEX repairs, I also replaced the T-fitting.

View attachment 20598

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would recommend eliminating the low point drains like TravelTiger did. Two Shark Bite fittings and you are done.
You really don't need low point drains. You will be using RV type antifreeze when you winterize, so why have em.
They are no longer installed on newer rigs.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

I would recommend eliminating the low point drains like TravelTiger did. Two Shark Bite fittings and you are done.
You really don't need low point drains. You will be using RV type antifreeze when you winterize, so why have em.
They are no longer installed on newer rigs.

Peace
Dave

They haven't been a problem for me since we don't dead-of-winter camp. When I winterize, I blow out the lines and drains with air and then pump in the antifreeze. Open the low point drains a tad to be sure the pink stuff is there and it's done. Come spring, do the same only flush with water until no more pink.

jcarnevale

We do not winter camp per se, but we do camp when the temperature goes below freezing and have never had a problem with them. I do like having them for the many reasons stated in the previous posts. I am not sold on the Sharkbites, (probably only because of ignorance) they look like they go together too easily. I'm going to Elkhart in two weeks, I'll have them fix all three valves and maybe tuck them up inside the belly somehow to get them out of the elements.

Jay

bighorn3370

When I did some plumbing work, I put a valve for both low point drains with hot water bypass. I also left the valves that Heartland had on, so my low point drains are empty. This way they will not freeze up in cold weather. I bought the valves at Home Depot. I think I have some pictures and will add them later. Ernie
101_2458.jpg101_2460.jpg

Attachments

• 101_2461.jpg
    101_2461.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

jcarnevale

I would like to tool up for RV plumbing, but not sure which route to take. Continue to use the stainless steel clamp method that Heartland uses with plastic fittings and buy the "SSC crimping tool" or switch to the standard connection method using copper crimp rings and brass fittings and buy the more expensive tool on eBay. What a dilemma, it's a good thing I don't have anything important to think about, I think it's time for an adult beverage......

JohnDar

I went to the copper rings because the HD across the street from the storage yard didn't have any inexpensive tools for the SSFe crimp rings when I had to repair mine. But, since a fool and his money are soon departed (hopefully before the IRS gets it), I eventually equipped my kit to handle both styles. Should a fellow camper run into a "situation," I've got the basic materials/tools on board to lend a hand before having to go on a parts expedition.