winter camping

pelgend1

looking to winter out where its warm but doesn't bust your budget. golf courses and pool necessary. FLa., texas, arizona,new mexico preferred. Thanks

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
What time of the year are you looking at? Do you have an area preference? The areas you've listed are pretty wide ranged.

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There hundreds of RV park in the Texas Rio Grande Valley (RGV) and the temperature in the winter there is moderate (60's at nights to 80's in the day usually. The variance of RV park facilities vary from nothing to high end gyms, pools, tennis courts, and even Vegas style entertainment. Most of the parks in RGV will cater to the 'Winter Texans" with their various programs from Karoke nites to tours to Mexico.

Climate wise Florida offers much the same as the RGV but has the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic Ocean closeby. The RGV does have South Padre Island for Beaches and Gulf of Mexico activities but unless you are staying at one of the parks there you have to drive further. We have stayed at both Florida and RGV in the winter and some in Arizona but we prefer the RGV as shopping in Mexico and Dentists and Prescriptions availability in Mexico is great. We love the Fort Myers, Florida area also.

Guess the bottom line is:
1. It is Cheaper to stay in Texas (fuel and park prices)
2. It is where most of our friends winter and
3. We are from Texas.

The biggest thing to remember is where ver you go make your reservations early almost all of the parks fill up in the winter.

jimtoo

You might check into the Rockport-Fulton, Texas area. Becoming very popular with all the goodies available depending on the park you choose. Close to Corpus Christi, Padre Island, shopping, fishing, golf and just about anything you want. There are quite a few Heartlanders staying in the area also.

Jim M

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We love the Rio Grande Valley and will be returning and host a couple of events in Donna and Mission Texas in January. Come on down and enjoy the Texas hospitality.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
BTW you could check out Oasis RV Park in LaMarque, Tx. This park is close to Galveston and all of the activities there, the NASA Space center, Kemah Boardwalk, Houston Medical Center and Houston itself. They have a great swimming pool, and are working very hard to make upgrades to make RVers more comfortable. There is a Ron Hoover dealership in the front of the RV Park and you can get repairs done at your site by the Ron Hoover crew.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Thanks for reporting this Jim. I'm sure that Tom will see it and will keep this park in mind for the future.

ncc1701e

Texas may be ok, but not for this ole boy. I like the Atlantic coast. With over a hundred golf course, I can play a different course everyday in Myrtle Beach and never play the same one twice. Heaven on earth.......................

pelgend1

just looking to find an area where it is warm in the winter (tired of cold and snow) wife likes pool i like golf. I know the golf courses in southern fla. raise their rates in winter and resorts seem to be very high. Thought west might be better.

rick_debbie_gallant

5th year for us this winter in Rockport/ Fulton. Love it. Park rates 1/2 of anywhere else. Lots to do as said earlier and close to Corpus. Counting Down the days now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ncc1701e

just looking to find an area where it is warm in the winter (tired of cold and snow) wife likes pool i like golf. I know the golf courses in southern fla. raise their rates in winter and resorts seem to be very high. Thought west might be better.

Can't speak to Florida, but Myrtle Beach area has plenty of reasonable ($35) nice course. The weather is pretty pleasant and the snowbird rates at Willow Tree are acceptable.