Saw something interesting today - 17.5" Rims with load range H Goodyears

jbeletti

Hi all,

When I was in Elkhart today, I stopped into Recreational Specialties. While there, they showed me an upgrade they were doing on an Americana RV they were building.

They removed the 16" rims and tires and put on 17.5" aluminum Alcoa rims and 17.5" Goodyear load range H tires.

The distance between the tires is actually the same as the load range H tires are 215s and the load range G tires are 235s.

I am not expert in this area in the least so I have no idea what if any issues this would present but if on a factory ordered unit, if one were to upgrad to 8k axles, upgrading to 17.5" load range H tires sounds like a good companion upgrade.

Again, this was not being done with a Heartland unit, rather on an Americana but don't see why it wouldn't work.

Jim

ct0218

Alcoa makes some great wheels, several friends have them on their GM pickups. I've never heard of any problems with Alcoas--other than what they cost. It would be an expensive upgrade for someone to replace the tires and wheels but with that combination it would be pretty much bulletproof! Someone pulling a lot of miles could justify the expense of the changeover more so than most, but it is interesting (and I have 8K axles!!!).

Uncle Rog

Jim, now that's what I'm talking about! That seems like the perfect upgrade. I have wondered what the live load on the axle / tire combo is going down the road. My axle weight loaded is 12k #'s, going down the highway at 65 how much does the load vary on uneven or "bouncy" roads? It just makes sense to me that 16k #'s of axles would make sense for a 16k# unit .............Any idea how much the combo costs?