Edge no longer made. Would you still buy one?

Trailer_Joe

Im in the market for a light TT. I was looking at an Edge 18, or the MPG 184. Turns out neither of these are made any longer. Would you current/previous Heartland owners buy one of these TT's now that they are no longer in production. There just doesnt seen to be anything out there as light and offering as many options.

Tom

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
If you like it and can find one on a dealer lot, why not? Probably wheel a deal being they are "discontinued".
The factory will still have to support and warranty a new purchase regardless of them no longer being produced.

Good Luck

pegmikef

I don't know. I owned an Edge and really liked it, but needed a little more room. I am not sure how that warranty stuff works in as much as HL warrants it for one year, but what happens one year after the last Edge or MPG 184 is sold? Do they have any obligation to continue to maintain parts that might be unique to those models? I think I would find out before I bought one

evolvingpowercat

I think the market spoke and told Heartland they went a little too far with cutting features like drawers to save weight. I like my Edge and personally don't mind the 6" less width which is a big part of the weight savings ( 7' 6" vs. 8' 0" ) along with the lighter frame which I suspect was partly possible only due to the narrower width.

If Heartland ever does Edge 2 Ultra Light Weight I would re-use the front and back caps and the 7' 6" width and do the following:

- offer light drawers instead of plastic tubs in slides that can fall out and make a huge mess if you are not paying attention
- offer a convection oven + microwave option
- offer option for reclining chairs in place of the sleeper sofa
- offer a decent bed option - the 4" OEM mattress is not usable by adults.
- maximize the pass thru compartment door size - the doors could have been bigger given the size of the compartment.
- utilize the wasted space in the rear corner (at least on the M21 this is true) with an outside access compartment.
- put mount points behind the rear fiberglass cap for a optional rack system that would support several bicycles

camr

We had our Edge M22 for two years before moving to a 5th. I can tell you, hands down, that the Edge was a well built, trouble free trailer. We had absolutely no major problems whatsoever. The biggest repair I had to do was to apply silicone to the tire tubs, a 20 minute job.

It was light, well built, and pulled like a dream. If I was downsizing, I would buy another one in a heartbeat.
-Cam

frano

We have a 2012 M21, that after a bunch of issues, has turned out to be everything we could have wished for. Ours is now out of warrenty and we have already made plans with a non-Heartland dealer to do any future repairs since we have lost faith in our Dealer. We tow the M21 with a Tundra so we're towing at 40% capacity of the truck and are very happy with the results. The Edge is comfortable, tows well, fits in any campground, and it's layout is perfect for my Wife and I. We've attended, and even organized, Heartland rallies and have been pleased at the "Heartland Family" acceptance of our little trailer amoungst the big rigs. The dealer will make the difference since a new Edge will likely need some warrenty work, but will be a good unit after the "bugs" are worked out.

Last edited:

Jimmie-Kay

SOLD!!!!!!The Edge is definitely a well built camper despite it's ultra lite weight. We currently have our 2010 M21 for sale because we currently own 2 RVs and have decided we need to sell one. Our M21 has lots of extras you won't even get on a new model, we've added a slide topper awning, vent covers on the roof, a better mattress for the queen size bed, a power hitch jack, and several other upgrades. The aerodynamics of this camper make it a dream to tow.

Last edited:

Chumbly

We've had our M21 for a little over a year now. My take on it- I think that the Edge is well designed and engineered ok. I feel however that the construction leaves something to be desired... the materials used seem to be ok (so far) but it seems to me that quality control was lacking. Would I buy it again? As it seems to be the only layout out there that we liked, and if I didn't know what I know now, we likely would. Knowing what we know now, I'm not so sure we would. Just my opinion... and based only on our unit.

I own a 2011 Edge M21 and this past year my wife and I have traveled probaly further most owners of an Edge.

Although there were some issues I would definetly recomend the Edge as an RV of quality.

wdk450

You know, you could get the dealer to throw in several years of 3rd party extended warranty with the deal, due to the fact the Edge is no longer made.

JanRooks

When Thor bought Heartland they stopped EDGE production. Almost all of the US trailer industry is only making big trailers ond mostly 5th wheels. Europe makes beautiful light weight single axle travel trailers pulled by minivans.
Mr. Jan Rooks EDGE M21 with Toyota Sienna.

I have been looking for a full featured tarvel trailer that could be towed by a Hyuandi Veracruze for a year, and the Edge was the answer. I am sure glad I was able to find a like new 2011 M21. It did not matter to me that Heartland stopped making it. Just picked it up a few days ago and love it already.

danemayer

Hi Navyman111,

Congratulations on your Edge purchase and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. You'll find lots of useful information here along with a bunch of friendly and helpful people. Enjoy your new trailer and again, welcome to the Heartland family.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We just bought a used Heartland Edge here in Florida. We love everything about it. Anxious to start our journey. Love to keep in touch.

danemayer

We just bought a used Heartland Edge here in Florida. We love everything about it. Anxious to start our journey. Love to keep in touch.

Hi Retainerlady,

Congratulations on your new Edge and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of friendly people here who love to share their adventures and I'm sure we'd all enjoy hearing about your travels.

As my husband and I were going to retire after 41 years in the Navy, I looked on line for 18 months to find a travel trailer that our Buick Enclave could pull (4500lbs). I found the Heartland Edge M21 and fell in love with it. I had five requirements that it definitely had to have. 1. queen size bed that we didn't have to jockey one another to get up during the night. 2. A freezer larger enough to hold a 10 lb bag of ice (for social hour). 3. Low profile a/c. 4. A bathroom sink. 5. The most important was the weight. These items were very difficult to find in a tt of this size. Most came with bunkbeds which was not our choice. One more thing that may not occur to anyone, that the Edge refrig is 2" deeper so you can place a carton of eggs width wise. I am a seamstress so I always have a tape measure with me. If you asked me one thing I didn't like about our lil Edge, I might say antenna only is good for a 35 mile radius. Loving our Edge, Linda and Bob Davenport Fl