Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rand McNally 7710 RV GPS

1. Print this Post   #11
    Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders TravelTiger's Avatar

Rand McNally 7710 RV GPS

Just an FYI, I recently updated my RVND 5510... Not a map update, but a operational software update. It installed some changes and new features into how the RVND works. It kept all of our programmed trips, however, I realized I had to re-enter our RV information (length, height, etc.)

If you've recently updated, you might want to check that your rv height restriction is still correct in the settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Erika Dorsey
    Founding
    Texas - West Chapter Leader
    Erika & Tony with two traveling cats, Mambo and Tango
    2016 Big Country 4010RD
    2010 ElkRidge 34QSRL (gone)
    2008 NorthTrail 21FBS (gone)
    2013 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 crew cab, long bed, DRW, 4X4, 115gal Dually Depot Aux Tank
    B&W Companion 20K hitch, Reese 5th Airborne Pin Box, 507 TST, Torklift Glowstep Revolution,
    MorRyde SRE4000, Winegard Trav'ler, Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL High-Speed Observation Camera
    Visit our blog at http://mammothtravels.blogspot.com/
    HOC #1733

2. Print this Post   #12

Re: Rand McNally 7710 RV GPS

The worse 400 dollars I have ever spent, I hate mine, it will tell me restaurants near by but not where they are, loading POI's are a pain in the *** and take forever to do. My Garmin is quick .......I called tech support and I knew more about the gps than he did. My opinion buy a garmin or magellan....I wish I had my money back.....plus finding a place to safely place it in order to see it while driving is also annoying...

Wife Sue
    Black Cocker Spaniel Bruno
    Jack Russel Terrier/Dauchhound Forrest....
    Cat Dutch
    2013 GMC 3500 Duramax Diesel Allison Transmission

3. Print this Post   #13

Just found out Rand is coming out with a new version they call the RVND 7720 ........ Brighter screen, more POI's, .....

4. Print this Post   #14

I have used Garmin since 2006 wihen I bought a 2610 Street Pilot. I really liked that GPS. I am now using the 465t and it is pretty good but I can not use it in trucker mode. It takes me a long way out of the way to my destination. I make up my routes on the computer then upload them to the Garmin. The software that I started out with is MapSource. MapSource works like most normal applications. They have stopped updating MapSource and are developing a new software program called BaseCamp. It is different than normal applications we all are familiar with. Basccamp is a database program. All information is stored in a single file and can not be saved as seperate application files. You can export information into seperate files then delete what is in the database and start over, but not save the data in different locations. It has some good features but is real difficult for most people to use.

Because of Garmin using this BaseCamp rather than a traditional application such as MapSource, I will probably not purchase another Garmin. So I am looking for someone else to step up and make a good GPS.

Can you develop routes on your computer and upload them to the 7710 or other Rand McNally GPS units.

BC
    Travel safe & may God bless
    Bob Curry & Trevor
    2016 F350 CC SRW LB 4WD
    Ruby Red 08 Bighorn 3400RE #9948
    Mor/Ryde 7k IS, 8k DB * 17.5 Rims w/G114 GY Tires
    Bigfoot Auto Leveling
    Escapee 96030 * Fulltime since 10-08-2007
    Club Member # 1081

5. Print this Post   #15

As mentioned by "MTpockets" in a post last September, RM is updating the 7710 to among other items, a brighter screen. Fast forward now to November 2012.........has anyone had experience with the new 7720? I have read reviews that claim it's much improved over the 7710, now with WIFi weather. I'm also interested if anyone has connected a wireless backup camera to the unit.
    H.O.C. # 1231

6. Print this Post   #16
    Past New Jersey Chapter Leader

Have/had the 7" Magellan. They admit there are serious problems in their programming. As in going from MB SC to NJ it takes you dowm Pennsylvania Ave past the White House onto the Baltimore Washington Pike (295) where no trucks of any kind are allowed and then through the Fort McHenry tunnel no propane allowed. yes it was programmed for a fifth wheel carrying propane. Techs tried to blame the 'programming'. I was in version .3 they tried in .4 beta and it does the same thing. they have no customer service department to talk to especially to complain to since the unit does not perform as advertised.. Trailer Life who I purchased from is in the process of refunding my money.
    Tom and Mary Steib

RIP _ Snowball the Cat 1/21/2013

2011 Greystone 32RL
    2010 NJ Rally
    2011 Heartland Regional Rally Cherokee, NC, Delaware 5 State Rally
    2012 Gillette National Rally, WY, NJ and NE Region Rallies
    2013 NJ Rally
    Past NJ Chapter Leaders

7. Print this Post   #17

I received my new Rand McNally 7720 last night. So far, as compared to my old broken digitizer Garmin Nuvi 730, this unit shines! I will admit the maps are better with the Garmin, and at least with basecamp you can load waypoints, routes, etc. The only external thing I can do with the 7720 is to load poi's from POI factory. Pretty easy process. RM's dock program is pretty lame in that respect, but the "Tell Rand" feature is really useful to suggest improvements in just about any feature. The WIFI really works great for the weather feature. No connectivity issues except my fault for having upper case turned on for my password. So far, it's a "keeper". Let's see how long the digitizer lasts...........
    H.O.C. # 1231

8. Print this Post   #18

I had one and I sent it back. The screen was too hard to see and the voice was terrible. I bought a Tom Tom made for truckers and I am happy with it. Screen is excellent and clear voice. It keeps you to truck routes so I have had no problems with routes. My DW the navigator still looks at the map.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2