Rand McNally 7710 RV GPS

Rrloren

Does anyone have the newest 7" screen GPS from Rand McNally? If so how do you like it?
Would you recommend it? I'm considering this unit because of the screen size, my garmin is becoming more difficult to see at only 4". I would use my garmin for the bluetooth and mp-3 features but would prefer larger screen for navigating.
Any comments?

shelsay

Hi--

We have one of these units and are pretty happy with it. Our main complaint is that it tends to fade out with the window mount. Wish it had a dash mount. The programming does a good job. Really like the speed warnings and the easy updates through the computer dock. Seems there are only a couple of units with 7" screens. Don't regret buying this unit.

Pat

MTPockets

We have it and use it regularly since April..... GPS features and RV data is why we got it, and they all work fine but Screen brightness is not real good. We mount on the dashboard and needed the optional hood which is also not good enough, so I made my own to shade the sun better. I still use my Garmin with a 5" screen when I'm not towing - it is much easier to see than the 7" Rand. We'll keep using the 7710 for the height feature since I'm used to it, and I like the points of interest/campgrounds/services, but there may be better units available.

RollingHome

I'm a real big Garmin fan and have many of their products. I bought a Garmin DEZL. IT IS A TOTAL POS... Do not buy one. J.M.O.

gasman

Camp Socializer
I have the 7" Magellan and really like it. We have no problems with brightness or sun fade.

Rrloren

Thanks for the input. I was afraid the screen would be hard to see in the sun, that's one of the problems I have now. I'll checkout the Magellan, but the reviews I read somewhere were luke warm.

iaflatlander

We also have the 7" Magellan. Like the RV features, rig dimension input and the backup camera that we added. No problems with brightness either.

MTPockets

Earlier this week we plugged in a route on the 7710 to take us from Hendersonville, NC to Cherokee, NC. We have the unit set for our height of 13'1" ..... The system had us taking the last 30 miles or so of the Blue Ridge Parkway which has some tunnels. I was suspicious and checked the Parkway Web site... Those tunnels are under 11 ft. which would have been a problem so I used a map instead...... So much for the height data....

danemayer

Earlier this week we plugged in a route on the 7710 to take us from Hendersonville, NC to Cherokee, NC. We have the unit set for our height of 13'1" ..... The system had us taking the last 30 miles or so of the Blue Ridge Parkway which has some tunnels. I was suspicious and checked the Parkway Web site... Those tunnels are under 11 ft. which would have been a problem so I used a map instead...... So much for the height data....

Is it possible you had the CAR profile selected?

MTPockets

Is it possible you had the CAR profile selected?

Had the RV selected as it is the only time I use the Rand is when we tow. Otherwise I use my Garmin.

I believe that Rand picked up the data from the tunnel center heights which is over 14 ft:, but those tunnels are round tops with the low sides at around 10 ft. The tunnels are barely wide enough for two vehicles to pass and are clearly marked on the tunnel entrance with the lower height as the restriction. I have the message entered to send to Rand for them to update if they chose to do so.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just an FYI, I recently updated my RVND 5510... Not a map update, but a operational software update. It installed some changes and new features into how the RVND works. It kept all of our programmed trips, however, I realized I had to re-enter our RV information (length, height, etc.)

If you've recently updated, you might want to check that your rv height restriction is still correct in the settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Vaughn

The worse 400 dollars I have ever spent, I hate mine, it will tell me restaurants near by but not where they are, loading POI's are a pain in the *** and take forever to do. My Garmin is quick .......I called tech support and I knew more about the gps than he did. My opinion buy a garmin or magellan....I wish I had my money back.....plus finding a place to safely place it in order to see it while driving is also annoying...

MTPockets

Just found out Rand is coming out with a new version they call the RVND 7720 ........ Brighter screen, more POI's, .....

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have used Garmin since 2006 wihen I bought a 2610 Street Pilot. I really liked that GPS. I am now using the 465t and it is pretty good but I can not use it in trucker mode. It takes me a long way out of the way to my destination. I make up my routes on the computer then upload them to the Garmin. The software that I started out with is MapSource. MapSource works like most normal applications. They have stopped updating MapSource and are developing a new software program called BaseCamp. It is different than normal applications we all are familiar with. Basccamp is a database program. All information is stored in a single file and can not be saved as seperate application files. You can export information into seperate files then delete what is in the database and start over, but not save the data in different locations. It has some good features but is real difficult for most people to use.

Because of Garmin using this BaseCamp rather than a traditional application such as MapSource, I will probably not purchase another Garmin. So I am looking for someone else to step up and make a good GPS.

Can you develop routes on your computer and upload them to the 7710 or other Rand McNally GPS units.

BC

jimpav

As mentioned by "MTpockets" in a post last September, RM is updating the 7710 to among other items, a brighter screen. Fast forward now to November 2012.........has anyone had experience with the new 7720? I have read reviews that claim it's much improved over the 7710, now with WIFi weather. I'm also interested if anyone has connected a wireless backup camera to the unit.

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
Have/had the 7" Magellan. They admit there are serious problems in their programming. As in going from MB SC to NJ it takes you dowm Pennsylvania Ave past the White House onto the Baltimore Washington Pike (295) where no trucks of any kind are allowed and then through the Fort McHenry tunnel no propane allowed. yes it was programmed for a fifth wheel carrying propane. Techs tried to blame the 'programming'. I was in version .3 they tried in .4 beta and it does the same thing. they have no customer service department to talk to especially to complain to since the unit does not perform as advertised.. Trailer Life who I purchased from is in the process of refunding my money.

jimpav

I received my new Rand McNally 7720 last night. So far, as compared to my old broken digitizer Garmin Nuvi 730, this unit shines! I will admit the maps are better with the Garmin, and at least with basecamp you can load waypoints, routes, etc. The only external thing I can do with the 7720 is to load poi's from POI factory. Pretty easy process. RM's dock program is pretty lame in that respect, but the "Tell Rand" feature is really useful to suggest improvements in just about any feature. The WIFI really works great for the weather feature. No connectivity issues except my fault for having upper case turned on for my password. So far, it's a "keeper". Let's see how long the digitizer lasts...........

mobilcastle

I had one and I sent it back. The screen was too hard to see and the voice was terrible. I bought a Tom Tom made for truckers and I am happy with it. Screen is excellent and clear voice. It keeps you to truck routes so I have had no problems with routes. My DW the navigator still looks at the map.