RV Lock install and grab-handle mod

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We decided to install the new Mobile Outfitters/Lippert keyless RV Lock. After a bit of an issue with the first one, replacement parts received, the install went pretty easily. I believe there's a video on another thread showing how these work.

Once installed, we went to move the grab handle flush against the rig and realized the new RV Lock protrudes more from the door than the previous one, causing the handle not to "lock" into the collapsed state. We researched other handles, but all of them (using the same install location holes) would have had a similar issue with hitting the RV Lock.

We visited our big box store to find something we coukd use to "back" the contact points and push the handle out away from the sidewall. We finally decided on a white vinyl trim board, used for framing windows and with vinyl siding. It is solid, and cuts just like wood. DH cut and used a jigsaw to create some "extensions" to place between the handle and the wall of the rig. We also wrapped the handle with some clear rescue tape, to prevent the handle from rubbing the RV Lock during transit.

Not all HL Models will have this issue... So check carefully before investing in this RV Lock.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345999792.367808.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1345999812.421340.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1345999836.895635.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1345999857.462559.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1345999874.390603.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1345999887.268880.jpg

Erika

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Great work Erika and Tony!

Wondering if in conjunction with your mod, if you could use a couple of 1 foot sections of the larger hollow pool noodles to slip on for travel days. It may keep the handle off the lock altogether, now that you have the spacer in place.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Good Job! One note on the Rescue Tape...if this becomes a "rubbing" situation, keep an eye on the tape as it will abrade. To lessen the abrasion factor of the tape, make the last wrap as loose as possible and it will resist tearing much better....

RoadJunkie

I nominate this as "Mod of the Week"! Ahem, sorry, no prize, just recognition. Very clever and neatly done.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Great minds thing alike. I replied on RV Lock thread to tell you how I fixed it, but, you did the exact same thing I did. LOL! I guess I should have put a patent on it :)

TeJay

I did something similar on the NT but used a different material. I used a white plastic cutting board which accomplished the same thing by pushing the handle away from the camper. After a few months we decided that we didn't like the swing handle so I removed it and mounted a new smaller handle and had to use another piece of plastic as a backing against the camper since the new handle had different screw hole spacing. The plastic cutting board can be cut and routed to soften the corners just like you would do with wood. Over the years I've found many used for those plastic cutting boards.

TeJay